Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2002 9:51:57 PM EDT
I have a m1 carbine. it feeds 30-06 just fine but .30 carbine wont seat all the way into the chamber of the gun. Im not sure if its the gun or the ammo. is there a difference between 30-06 and .30 carbine?
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#1]
It's entirely possible that your problems are based on the fact that these are two different rounds, designed for two ENTIRELY DIFFERENT weapons.  Just call it a hunch...

Not to mention you must be mistaken about your rifle, as the 30-06 won't come close to chambering in a M1 Carbine (which was designed for the .30 Carbine).

Hope you still have all your fingers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 11:31:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea right wolfar.

There's no way your that foolish.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#3]
It's not the gun or the ammo. It's you.

An M1 Carbine will NEVER be able to chamber a 30-06 cartridge.. unless you use a BIG hammer to get it in there.. Save the '06 for the Garand and other appropriate rifles. I sincerely hope you're kidding because You could do some serious damage the way you're talking. Try to study about different cartridges and rifles before jumping into it.. Your face and limbs (and life for that matter) will thank you for it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#4]
...which brings the image of stacking the carbine ammo into the 30.06 chamber. AND a looong string to pull the trigger from a distance
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 11:10:46 AM EDT
[#5]
This reminds me of an idea I had way back when.

Wouldnt it be possible to have a rifle with an adjustable (automatically of course) bolt?

So long as bullet diameter was the same, and the cartridge necks were identical there shouldnt be a problem.

This would allow you to have bullets of different lengths and weights, as well as different powder loads that all worked in one rifle.

Imagine being  able to (In a pinch) Load your handgun rounds into your rifle, or carrying a stripper of (Longer) heavier rounds just in case you needed to "each out and touch somebody.

Sort of like this (Warning crude visual example ahead)

Standard round
|___________________/

Pistol Round
|___________/
Heavy (Match) round

|___________________________/

legend - p = Powder, + = uhh... 5 grains of lead (Yeah that sounds right)

Ok now if that formats correctly hopefully you'll see what I was talking about :P

Link Posted: 9/3/2002 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#6]
dude, i get it, like say, .308 in a .30-'06????????????????

interesting.  i understand the military had some probs with the chamber sleeve though, when converting .'06s to .308, but this wouldn't be a problem with your idea......
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
T

This would allow you to have bullets of different lengths and weights, as well as different powder loads that all worked in one rifle.

this is kinda like what's done in naval artillery and some larger ground artillery and it works quite well.  the powder charge is adjusted for the power/range needed for the shot(bags), and the projectile is not attached to the powder.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#8]
its just that the bolt wont close all the way with the .30 carbine ammo and the ammo WILL NOT FIT. seems like i read somewhere that they made some m1 carbs in 30-06 in aftermarket. maybe not. all I know is that the carbine will NOT feed .30 carbine but WILL shoot 30-06 just fine.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
its just that the bolt wont close all the way with the .30 carbine ammo and the ammo WILL NOT FIT. seems like i read somewhere that they made some m1 carbs in 30-06 in aftermarket. maybe not. all I know is that the carbine will NOT feed .30 carbine but WILL shoot 30-06 just fine.

Sounds to me like you've got no clue what kind of rifle you've really got.  I'll make this really simple.  A M1 Carbine CANNOT shoot 30-06.  Period.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#10]
You think maybe it is a M1 Garand? One way or the next, you can not shoot .30 carbine rounds in a gun made to shoot 30.06, or the other way around. This is a pretty simple concept. Your gun will only shoot one kind of round, the kind it was made for...
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Wolf- The term "M-1" was used extensively in the U.S. Military..For example, the "U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30, M1", or the "Helmet, Steel M1".. The "Carbine" was termed "U.S. Carbine, caliber .30, M1" and was NEVER made in the 30.06/7.62X63MM chambering.. There were some M1 RIFLES that were cut to carbine length and fitted with M-1918 BAR mags in the 50's.. One called the AMAC "carbine" comes to mind.. But is was in no way related to the "M1 Carbine"..

Mixing and matching ammo based on a number matching can be embarassing, if not lethal..

Feed it what fits, and you should maintain the ability to count on your fingers, and see out both eyes..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 9:30:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Does your carbine take a "clip" or a magazine?
We need pics of this "unique" rifle.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top