Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2002 7:46:46 AM EDT
I have a bunch of the 223 55gr fmj and hollow points and I was wondering if either of these rounds will fragment when you test them in geletin?
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 7:53:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Just do a little searching before you hit that post button, I'll bet you find most answeres in the ammo FAQ at the top of the page. If you want more specific answers, thy this on for size... Its all here (well, practically!)

To answer your question in brief... not hardly. Here's the proof;
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=135926
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#2]
The Wolf ammo is no good for fragmentation. If you want cheap ammo that will fragment, about the cheapest thing out there is some of the M193 spec stuff. Again LC or Q3131A and IMI are the best of these. Due to age, South African would probably be less desirable but still good as long as it fires. Then of course you have the heavier commercial loads such as Winchester Supreme Power Point Plus that does a good job, but is much more expensive.

I would not recommend Wolf ammo for defensive use. Use M193 or some of the other good loads. But of course you can plink with the Wolf and in a bad situation the Wolf would be better than throwing rocks at the burglars I suppose! But find something better for serious use. At least buy a few boxes of the good stuff....keep the Wolf for plinkin and back-up ammo.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 4:35:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Just do a little searching before you hit that post button, I'll bet you find most answeres in the ammo FAQ at the top of the page. If you want more specific answers, thy this on for size... Its all here (well, practically!)

To answer your question in brief... not hardly. Here's the proof;
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=135926

You asked about both FMJ and HP.  We haven't tried hollowpoint yet but I suspect it will be less than impressive given the FMJ's performance.  We also haven't tried 62 grain wolf, but I doubt that will do any real fragmenting either.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#4]
well thanks for getting back to me, although the results aren't very good I doubt a badguy wouldn be laughing at the wolf 223 it still looks like it would mess them up.
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 12:07:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
well thanks for getting back to me, although the results aren't very good I doubt a badguy wouldn be laughing at the wolf 223 it still looks like it would mess them up.

I wouldn't rely on that.

Use M193.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top