Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/17/2021 6:39:23 PM EDT
I'm no AR newb but I'm defintely a 9mm AR-9 newb. I've never shot one.

I've got an FM-9 coming. I plan on setting it up for steel challenge and USPSA PCC division.

Is there any ammo I should avoid? I've already been warned against aluminum cases. Is steel ok?

Is there anything I should look for when I unbox it?

This will become a pic thread when I get it.

Update 3/6/21

I got it a few days ago but I've been too busy to get to the range or take pics. I made it to the range this morning.

First thing I did was throw on the 16" upper I ordered from AIM surplus. I then swapped the original furniture for some good Magpul stuff. This probably isn't the final grip, but good enough for now. Optic is a Vortex Crossfire.

Attachment Attached File

I was thinking about selling all this stuff, since I really just wanted the lower. I did think it was kind of neat in original configuration. Now I'm considering putting it back with the brace and 5" upper just for fun, or maybe doing a Form 1.

Attachment Attached File

I zeroed at 25 yards. I was on a bench with a ragged block of wood for a rest since I forgot my shooting pillow. Shoot 'n C in the middle is my zeroing groups. Zeroing would have taken 10 rounds if I had a zeroing target with 1/4" squares. Oh well. The other groups are accuracy testing with indicated ammo.

Attachment Attached File

Geco 115 gr. FMJ
Remington GWB 115 gr. FMJ
Wolf 115 gr. FMJ
Tula 115 gr. FMJ

I was curious about my POI change at 50 yards with a 25 yard zero. I aimed for the -0 in the head area. That is five shots with the Geco.

Attachment Attached File

I walked up the hill to the rifle range and tried to shoot at 100 yards. I shot unremarkable 5" groups that were ~10" below POA. I am somewhat curious how tight I could shoot at 100 yards if I put some real glass on the gun. Maybe next time.

I fired 500 rounds total (round counts for types of ammo with magazine combos layed out in another thread). The only thing I did for cleaning was before I started I sprayed CLP on the BCG and into the upper like the guy did in FM's youtube video. I then repeated the process at the 250 round mark. I had no malfunctions of any kind.

This thing is awesome. The only other firearms I've ever been this satisfied with have been from manufacturers that start with the letter G. My only concern is that switching to PCC in USPSA might be a bad idea. This gun is so much fun to shoot, I'm probably going to neglect to train in my other sports/disciplines. Plus, RIP my bank account. If you have been wondering who is the absolutely legendary asshole that has been shooting up all the 9mm ammo, well, its about to be me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#1]
My only piece of advice is to be careful if you start messing around with different muzzle devices. FM 9 barrels do not have an indexing pin so it is very easy to overcome the torque on the barrel nut which will cause your barrel to free spin. You will have to remove the hand guard and re torque the nut if you do it.

Other than that, put a law folder on it and have fun. Mine is one of my favorite guns.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:16:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I've got an FM-9 coming. I plan on setting it up for steel challenge and USPSA PCC division.

Is there any ammo I should avoid? I've already been warned against aluminum cases. Is steel ok?

View Quote

Tons of info for you to read click here
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:16:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Oh, bless your heart. You must not be aware. Try clicking some of those links.

Welcome to 2021.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine will digest anything except WWB. It loves TULA/Wolf.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Oh, bless your heart. You must not be aware. Try clicking some of those links.

Welcome to 2021.
View Quote

Damn.....looks like we lost our database with everything that has happened.
We had a huge multi-page thread with tons of info awhile back.

FTM is well regarded and you shouldn't have any problems...if you do, FTM is a stand up company.

Usually with blow-back 9mm guns, the issues you may see are from feeding/buffer/bolt stroke length.

The 9mm AR SOP is....built/shoot the gun, let it break in....diagnose any problems, and then begin to modify it to your liking/desired use. (competition...suppressed...range toy..etc)

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

FM PCC Quick Start Guide

FM Products does NOT recommend ammunition of the
following types:**
- Aluminum cased ammunition (Blazer Aluminum)
- Syntech PCC ammunition
- Frangible ammunition
For function testing and leisure shooting we recommend:
- Tula 115gr FMJ Steel Cased 9mm
- Wolf 115gr FMJ Steel Cased 9mm
For personal defense applications we recommend:
- Federal Premium LE 124gr HST HP
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Just got my FM lower last week but have had my upper for a couple of months.  Mine has the 8.5" barrel.  It eats factory 115g as well as my own 124 and 147g without any problems.  Shoots well suppressed with the 147g.  The lower has an ambi safety and also a larger than normal buffer retainer pin which makes sense with the beating that a blowback gas system gives it.  The trigger has quite a bit of grit and creep, and appears to be a standard AR trigger.  I just got a new Larue MBT so will install that in the next few days.  The guys at FM have been great about initial problems I was having with an Aero Precision lower and a mag block.  

I think they did an excellent job with this firearm.

A friend of mine has problems with aluminum cased ammo in his Extar.  It makes sense since this is a blowback design and needs to have the brass expand and seal for it to operate properly.

ETA - you'll notice that it's a little greasy when you get it.  They talk about that in the manual and say to clean it well and lubricate it.  I actually removed the buffer and spring and gave them a few shots of CLP.  Make sure you also lube the bolt well.  Mine is a side charger so I removed the slide rod and spring
and lubricated all associated wear surfaces.  They run better wet.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:51:22 PM EDT
[#8]
FWIW:  You can go to that google search and view the cached versions of each of those links.    

I love my foxtrot mike.  Like a dumbass.....I didn't read "no aluminum"   shot tons of aluminum out of my PSA AR9 so loade dup a mag......Blew back and ripped the rim off the round.

After that one round I probably have 500 rounds through it is all, I got an MP5 shortly after that is taking all my lovin

But I believe Foxtrot Mike makes the nicest AR9 pistols around, very solid without the quirks many have.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:50:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm glad I saw this thread. I bought an FM 7.5" 9mm as well. Primary Arms, at the time, told me to buy Glock OEM for the best performance. I bought it with three 24 round Glock OEM mags and later bought two 33-round Glock OEM mags. The 24 round mags have been fine with no malfunctions and I've only been loading 20 rounds like FM recommended. But the 33-rounders have had about a dozen failure to feed issues, both mags together and no limited to one mag. Has anybody else experienced issues with the 33 round mags? I was talking with FM support and they couldn't figure it out and even suggested the Magpul 9mm PMAGS. Should I invest in some PMAGS instead of the Glock mags? Thanks - J

Edit: The ammo I had malfunctions with was 124 grain Federal HST. HST is one of their recommended ammo choices.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm glad I saw this thread. I bought an FM 7.5" 9mm as well. Primary Arms, at the time, told me to buy Glock OEM for the best performance. I bought it with three 24 round Glock OEM mags and later bought two 33-round Glock OEM mags. The 24 round mags have been fine with no malfunctions and I've only been loading 20 rounds like FM recommended. But the 33-rounders have had about a dozen failure to feed issues, both mags together and no limited to one mag. Has anybody else experienced issues with the 33 round mags? I was talking with FM support and they couldn't figure it out and even suggested the Magpul 9mm PMAGS. Should I invest in some PMAGS instead of the Glock mags? Thanks - J

Edit: The ammo I had malfunctions with was 124 grain Federal HST. HST is one of their recommended ammo choices.
View Quote

Interesting. I bought some Glock 33ers for it, but I also have a ton of magpul mags, including 21ers. I've got notifications set up for when Midway gets the magpul 27s in (debuting next month apparently). Most stages I've shot so far in USPSA have been less than 21 rounds, and the exceptions have all had opportunities to reload on the move.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Check their YouTube page, they just posted few good short videos.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:08:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Interesting. I bought some Glock 33ers for it, but I also have a ton of magpul mags, including 21ers. I've got notifications set up for when Midway gets the magpul 27s in (debuting next month apparently). Most stages I've shot so far in USPSA have been less than 21 rounds, and the exceptions have all had opportunities to reload on the move.
View Quote

All of the Glock mags have worked well in my FM.  From the small pistol mags to the 33 rounders.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:17:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

All of the Glock mags have worked well in my FM.  From the small pistol mags to the 33 rounders.

View Quote

I'm guessing I just got two that are from a defective batch or something because my three 24-rounders were flawless. A buddy of mine bought the same 33-round mag for his actual Glock and had feeding malfunctions too. Dunno, but I think I'm going to try that 27 round Magpul when it's released.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:24:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Do the lowers in the FM9 have a high or low shelf?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Mine didn't play well with the CMMG upper but runs flawlessly with a Ghost upper.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do the lowers in the FM9 have a high or low shelf?
View Quote

Get the contact information from their web site and send them an email.  They're really good with responding to concerns and problems.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#17]
update bump
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top