Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2021 12:00:14 PM EDT
I'm new to this whole 9mm thing.

Here's what I have so far:

PSA Colt Mag block for AR15 lower

PSA Gen4 8 inch upper

SBPDW brace, sounds like they have a carbine length buffer tube(?)

Thank you for any help!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a JP SCS on my 9mm build.  Really nice shooting.  

I would try one of their short stroke scs's if I made another.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#2]
What is the weight of your bolt?  Total weight of buffer and bolt should be between 21 and 24 ounces.  I use a 6.5 ounce 9mm buffer with a 14.9 ounce Faxon bolt, standard carbine spring.  Runs like a swiss watch.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#3]
SBPDW brace is a carbine length buffer tube.
So any 9mm buffer should work fine for you.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:02:00 AM EDT
[#4]
A Macon Armory pistol buffer and standard carbine spring works great. Rudy has been doing these for a long time, and he has it down pretty well.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:12:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A Macon Armory pistol buffer and standard carbine spring works great. Rudy has been doing these for a long time, and he has it down pretty well.
View Quote

^^^ This.

Here is (almost) everything you need to know about building/troubleshooting a 9mm AR in one post: "Lots of 9mm AR information"
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#6]
My 9mm colt pattern AR is mostly Quartercircle 10 parts.  They recommended their adjustable buffer (weight can be changed from 5-11oz) and a sprinco RED spring. This setup has been extremely reliable and I’m very happy with it.  I was tempted to get the JP silent capture spring in 9mm because everybody says it smooths out direct blowback 9mm (I don’t think it’s that bad at all).  
I guy at work shot my 9mm AR and decided he had to have one.   He peiced it together from various manufacturers.  I’m pretty sure he has a foxtrot mikes pistol upper though.  He took it to the range to test fire it and guess what???  Consistent failure to feed.  Now he’s gotta screw around with different springs and buffer combos to try and make it run reliably.  Between ammo being really expensive or unavailable and the fact that this dude is a cheapskate, I’m thinking he won’t bother to ever get his pcc ever running.
Anyways.  Buy once, cry once.  Don’t cheap out on parts.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Toolcraft 9mm bcg

7.3 oz. buffer

.308 carbine length flat wire spring

Ran flawlessly from day one.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:06:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Toolcraft 9mm bcg

7.3 oz. buffer

.308 carbine length flat wire spring

Ran flawlessly from day one.
View Quote

I'd recommend trying a standard carbine spring.  .308 recoil springs often cover up other issues that need fixing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#9]
CMT bolt
Standard Carbine spring
Guntec USA AR 9mm 8.2oz Buffer

It's worked great for me with light 115gr reloads and hot 124gr factory ammo thus far.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Blitzkrieg hydraulic buffer and a carbine spring, smoothest shooting 9mm I’ve ever ran
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My 9mm colt pattern AR is mostly Quartercircle 10 parts.  They recommended their adjustable buffer (weight can be changed from 5-11oz) and a sprinco RED spring. This setup has been extremely reliable and I’m very happy with it.  I was tempted to get the JP silent capture spring in 9mm because everybody says it smooths out direct blowback 9mm (I don’t think it’s that bad at all).  
I guy at work shot my 9mm AR and decided he had to have one.   He peiced it together from various manufacturers.  I’m pretty sure he has a foxtrot mikes pistol upper though.  He took it to the range to test fire it and guess what???  Consistent failure to feed.  Now he’s gotta screw around with different springs and buffer combos to try and make it run reliably.  Between ammo being really expensive or unavailable and the fact that this dude is a cheapskate, I’m thinking he won’t bother to ever get his pcc ever running.
Anyways.  Buy once, cry once.  Don’t cheap out on parts.
View Quote

I used an Aero Precision lower with a Sylvan Glock mag block under a Foxtrot Mike upper.  I also used the .308 buffer spring and 6.5 oz buffer recommended by Foxtrot Mike.  Frequent failures to eject and anemic ejections when it did.  Finally gave up wasting money and time to get it to work, and bought a Foxtrot Mike lower.  Works great now.  Would have saved quite a bit of money by going with the matched and tuned upper and lower in the first place.

ETA: works great with factory 115g as well as my own 125g and 147g rounds.  Works great suppressed as well.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#12]
5.5 ounce RRA 9mm buffer, NFA spacer and standard spring...........both of mine work great with this set up............
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#13]
oops, wrong thread.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:25:16 PM EDT
[#14]
And the consensus is....there is no consensus
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:38:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup.

I've used 5.5oz to 8.5oz buffers with good results. Used carbine, enhanced carbine and even 308 springs....

All worked fine but a standard cabine spring and 7.5oz buffer(real buffer not solid weight) is my preferred setup when using a 15'ish oz 9mm bolt.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:08:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Are any of you using the Taccom?  I've done the typical 8oz solid buffer and springco red spring, but I was never really happy with the recoil impulse.

PCC Adjustable Recoil System AR15-9mm

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:22:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Blitzkrieg hydraulic buffer and a carbine spring, smoothest shooting 9mm I’ve ever ran
View Quote

Looking forward to a package arriving from him tomorrow. 9mm that runs like a 22LR action
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 6:31:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I've got a blitzkrieg 5015HD hydraulic buffer, with the PCC buffer weight, along with a 308 flat wire spring fro bexar arms in an A5 buffer tube.

Super soft shooting and no problems on any ammo.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a Colt 6450 using a 16 oz.non-ramped bolt and a  8 oz. MAS Defense extended buffer. total weight is 24 oz. It functions perfectly with 135 and 147 gr.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 6:23:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL!

I'll just leave this here for future searchers.

The best starting point for 9mm is a standard carbine spring and an extended length (4", or A5 length) buffer with internal sliding weights that gives a total weight (bolt + buffer) of around 22-23 oz. More mass won't hurt anything and will help decrease perceived recoil.  Less mass will speed up cycling, but add wear and perceived recoil.

308 springs are not needed for a 9mm to work properly. If it is, there's something else wrong that needs to be addressed.

My site: Blowback9.com

Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#21]
KAK 10 oz buffer, stock carbine spring.  Runs like a sewing machine.  Tried the 'magic' 7.5 oz buffer for awhile and went back to the 10 oz.  Mo' weight be bettah fo me.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top