Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2020 12:03:27 PM EDT
Does anybody use the BETTER-MAG S&W® .22 RIMFIRE MAGAZINE ADAPTOR with their CMMG bolt?  https://www.redi-mag.com/product/better-mag-s-22-rimfire-magazine-adaptor/
I installed one on a new built but have not used it pending the arrival of my 22 CMMG bolt assembly. The install seems loose and moves up and down - is this OK?
Any recommendations on its use?
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, it's not locked in tight - the piece will move up and down some, but your bolt catch should keep it from moving too far upwards I believe although I don't have the gun in front of me to check. Either way you're good to go with a little movement.

I've got one in a cmmg build with tens of thousands of rounds, and it's been flawless.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#2]
So here is my two cents -  I have the CMMG bolt in a AR-22.  I am running the new ULW barrel from TACCOM with the CMMG bolt and barrel adapter.  It is a great setup.  I have several 10/22's but they have a different feel from my steel challenge PCC.  I usual run both at a match so switching back and forth the first couple of runs takes getting use to. So I decided to built two similar SC guns using AR lowers as close as I could get them in 22LR and 9MM. So my PCC and AR22 run a Tennessee Arms lowers. The 9mm runs a TACCOM bolt, ULW barrel and CF tube handguard. The AR-22 has the CMMG bolt TACCOM 22 ULW barrel with a G-10 TACCOM tube handguard. So they feel very similar in grip, fit and movement.

Sorry for the intro - now I have tried several mag adapter systems. The Redi-mag and the Catch-22 for the LRBHO feature.  I am currently using the Catch-22 setup due to a less parts count.  I have run the Catch-22 and Redi-mag adapters with AR15-22 mags. I have also ran CMMG and Black Dog with the CMMG bolt only and no adapter.   I have went with the AR15-22 mags due to the mag follower system.  Actual all three mag systems worked on LRBHO but with the difference being dropping the mag.  The CMMG style as soon as you remove the mag the bolt closes and the Catch-22 and Redi-mag remain lock back after taking the mag out.

So here is the comment - if you want the bolt to remain back after you drop the mag go with the Redi-mag or the Catch-22.  If that does not matter then go with the standard CMMG system as there are even less parts count. I would suggest running the Black Dog steel feed ramp mags as they seem to function better.

I have never had 100% LRBHO with any system I have tried depending the ammo velocity I am using and also the mags springs may or may not have enough power to push the bolt catch up due to the the bolt catch spring being to strong for the mag spring on a standard AR.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Does anybody use the BETTER-MAG S&W® .22 RIMFIRE MAGAZINE ADAPTOR with their CMMG bolt?  https://www.redi-mag.com/product/better-mag-s-22-rimfire-magazine-adaptor/
I installed one on a new built but have not used it pending the arrival of my 22 CMMG bolt assembly. The install seems loose and moves up and down - is this OK?
Any recommendations on its use?
View Quote

It's very good, as is the ARCatch22.  

The BMA has two separable parts: the aluminum magazine shim/frame and the tiny F shaped bolt stop.  The little F needs to be a bit loose to work.  The frame should have a little piston under spring pressure that will keep it in the magazine well.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got two of the BMAs in 22 rifles with CMMG bolts.  They work flawlessly.  The adaptor will 'lock' in place just above the mag catch in the receiver.  It should not wobble.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 12:52:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for all the good information.
Question: the Catch22 Bolt Catch works with the CMMG bolt and the CMMG mags without the Redi-Mag - right?
Looks like it works with S&W mags as well.

Link Posted: 11/30/2020 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, Alex with Catch22 here

Correct, it'll work with the CMMG bolt and mags without the Redi-Mag

For a true last-round-hold-open, you'll need to use 15-22 mags, but you can still manually engage the catch with the CMMG mags after the last round is fired.

Here's a sample vid of how it'll work with CMMG mags - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyvNlPBvO3g

And here's the same catch but with 15-22 mags: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVyvr_Ra2eE
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes but you need the adapter for the MP15-22 mags, the stick on shims for the mags or the clip adapter for magwell on lower. - I use both and both work. If you do not want to add anything to the mags - get the clip one.

I also added the softer bolt catch spring as the M&P mags have a softer spring and can struggle to push the catch up. That is why Catch-22 has a softer spring.  My lower is dedicated to 22 so I replaced the spring    The main issue with both the Catch-22 and Redi in the LRBHO is overcoming the bolt catch spring to actuate the catch to lock the bolt.  As I mentioned both systems have not been 100% in locking the bolt back. Some may of had better results than me.  

I shoot mostly steel challenge and the LRBHO does not matter to me. I never run the mag dry so it never needs to stay open - very similar to a 10/22 situation or scenario.  The LRBHO open to me only helps in reducing dry fires in running out of ammo in a 22.  The CMMG/Black Dog mags also work on my setup and again if you are not having feeding issues and don't care about holding the bolt open once you drop the mag and not having a mag with a follower for easy loading, use them.  I have a McFadden Machine loader for filling both style of mags so it does not matter to me.

Simple isn't it - LOL
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 10:26:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I have that mag adapter with the CMMG bolt and 4.5" barrel.  Its worked perfectly.  My buddy liked mine and built the same upper.  He seems to like his, too.
My lower is otherwise plane jane mil-spec.  Basic trigger and all the springs.  My LRBHO works fine.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 10:20:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes but you need the adapter for the MP15-22 mags, the stick on shims for the mags or the clip adapter for magwell on lower. - I use both and both work. If you do not want to add anything to the mags - get the clip one.

I also added the softer bolt catch spring as the M&P mags have a softer spring and can struggle to push the catch up. That is why Catch-22 has a softer spring.  My lower is dedicated to 22 so I replaced the spring    The main issue with both the Catch-22 and Redi in the LRBHO is overcoming the bolt catch spring to actuate the catch to lock the bolt.  As I mentioned both systems have not been 100% in locking the bolt back. Some may of had better results than me.  

I shoot mostly steel challenge and the LRBHO does not matter to me. I never run the mag dry so it never needs to stay open - very similar to a 10/22 situation or scenario.  The LRBHO open to me only helps in reducing dry fires in running out of ammo in a 22.  The CMMG/Black Dog mags also work on my setup and again if you are not having feeding issues and don't care about holding the bolt open once you drop the mag and not having a mag with a follower for easy loading, use them.  I have a McFadden Machine loader for filling both style of mags so it does not matter to me.

Simple isn't it - LOL
View Quote

Thank you very much for the info.
I only have some S&W mags to use and prefer to have the LRHO feature.
I ordered a Catch 22 Bolt Catch which seems quite nice. Does is come with a softer bolt catch spring?  
Also, what are the S&W 15-22 Magazine Adapter (Stick on) made of? How does the  S&W 15-22 Magazine Adapter (Clip on) stay on - just clips over the magwell lip?
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I only have some S&W mags to use and prefer to have the LRHO feature.
I ordered a Catch 22 Bolt Catch which seems quite nice. Does is come with a softer bolt catch spring?  
Also, what are the S&W 15-22 Magazine Adapter (Stick on) made of? How does the  S&W 15-22 Magazine Adapter (Clip on) stay on - just clips over the magwell lip?
View Quote

The springs are sold separate. Usually they're only needed if you're running Kriss mags since they have a lot less spring tension. It doesn't hurt to run it in a standard setup though.

The stick-ons are made of delrin and stick to the mags using 3m VHB

Yes, the clip-ons just clip over the magwell lip
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The springs are sold separate. Usually they're only needed if you're running Kriss mags since they have a lot less spring tension. It doesn't hurt to run it in a standard setup though.

The stick-ons are made of delrin and stick to the mags using 3m VHB

Yes, the clip-ons just clip over the magwell lip
View Quote

Thank you alpalwal.
Can you have the stick-on and the clip-on at the same time?
Delrin is a nice material.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Can you have the stick-on and the clip=on at the same time?
View Quote

No.  It's an either/or.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Great - thank you!
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#14]
My AR Catch 22 Bolt Catch just came in!
Seems like a great simple piece and I look forward to testing it. It should work just fine.
Now the nightmare  of removing the bolt catch roll pin without screwing up the receiver finish.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Installed an AR Catch 22 Bolt catch and a couple of the pads on a 10rd and 25rd S&W mags.
Seems to function very well for the bolt catch and the mags fit fine in the mag well.
Next phase - try it the range...
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a Better-Mag adapter but have had quite a few problems with it, tried it in both dedicated and non-dedicated ARs.  Had to file it a bit to get it work but it’s still finicky.

Just ordered a Catch22 v2 and magazine clip thingy.  Excited to try it out.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My AR Catch 22 Bolt Catch just came in!
Seems like a great simple piece and I look forward to testing it. It should work just fine.
Now the nightmare  of removing the bolt catch roll pin without screwing up the receiver finish.
View Quote

Put some tape over the receiver.

Also I found it very worth it to buy a dedicated bolt catch pin punch.

Also, dings on the receiver just add character ;)
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Yup, I bought a roll pin to remover the bolt catch roll pin from Brownells - not only does it fit well (many are designed to install roll pins from the rear and do not fit over the mag well bump for removal from the front - learned it the hard way) it works very well!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:27:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Do the CMMG or Black Dog 22 mags work with the Catch 22 bolt catch?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#20]
The magazine will feed ammunition but will not pop the bolt catch up after the last round clears.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:20:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Then only the S&W 22 mags activate the Bolt Open Hold?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:30:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:  Then only the S&W 22 mags activate the Bolt Open Hold?
View Quote

Think so.  Hence the popularity of Boonie's adapter.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:49:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Then only the S&W 22 mags activate the Bolt Open Hold?
View Quote

Reliably, yes.  There may be other options that work poorly.  The the BMA and Catch22 were designed around the S&W.  It's the only one with a spring strong enough to work the catch mechanism properly.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Do the CMMG or Black Dog 22 mags work with the Catch 22 bolt catch?
View Quote

Here's a video of how it'll work with CMMG / BDM mags:
AR Catch22 function with standard 22lr magazine with extended follower

Here's how it'll work with the 15-22 mags:
AR Catch22 function with SW 15 22 magazine and Catch22 magazine shim
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks alpalwal!
I am building the Catch 22 set-up with S&W mags with pads.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#26]
How easy is it to remove the Redi Mag adapter? I have a ton of 15-22 mags I would love to use with my cmmg conversation on my primary rifle. But don't want it stuck in my lower when I want to switch back to 5.56
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#27]
And what an interesting twist.  The OP has slop inserting the Better Mag adapter, and a significant portion of the reviews I've read have complained about how tight the RM is, how hard it is to install, the corners had to be sanded/rounded for it to go in, etc.  So far, that has prevented me from buying one, and therefore not testing the S&W mags I've bought as a backup to the BDM mags.

OP, please keep us informed of your progress and thoughts after you have some rounds downrange.  BTW, you can't beat the customer service at ARCatch-22.  Alex is VERY helpful.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How easy is it to remove the Redi Mag adapter? I have a ton of 15-22 mags I would love to use with my cmmg conversation on my primary rifle. But don't want it stuck in my lower when I want to switch back to 5.56
View Quote

The Redi-Mags carries an extra on the outside of the Mag well.
If you are referring to the BETTER-MAG S&W® .22 RIMFIRE MAGAZINE ADAPTOR it is easy to remove and a bit trickier to install because of the bolt catch slider which needs to be put in correctly.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If you are referring to the BETTER-MAG S&W® .22 RIMFIRE MAGAZINE ADAPTOR it is easy to remove and a bit trickier to install because of the bolt catch slider which needs to be put in correctly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes thats what I meant. thank you!
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Once you get the hang of it, installing and removing is not hard.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top