Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/17/2020 7:30:30 AM EDT
Have a 9mm dedicated glock lower.  anyway to improve the feed?  its failing every 5-8 rounds.   carbine length tube, carbine flat spring, spikes spacer, and 5.0oz buffer.   I feel like its balanced right, maybe im still too light?
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 9:52:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Seek out Mad Machinist, he has a modification that helps.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:03:12 AM EDT
[#2]
what bullet nose profile? and overall length?... my NFA Glock format lower requires OAL of around 1.10" maximum for reliable feeding
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:24:15 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the bullet info,  I am realizing my ammo is not the most dynamic for feed.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
thanks for the bullet info,  I am realizing my ammo is not the most dynamic for feed.
View Quote

I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means

dy·nam·ic /di'namik/

1. (of a process or system) characterized by constant change, activity, or progress.
"a dynamic economy"

2. (of a person) positive in attitude and full of energy and new ideas.
"she's dynamic and determined"
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 7:30:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:51:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Have a 9mm dedicated glock lower.  anyway to improve the feed?  its failing every 5-8 rounds.   carbine length tube, carbine flat spring, spikes spacer, and 5.0oz buffer.   I feel like its balanced right, maybe im still too light?
View Quote

Buffer may be a bit light but if the rounds aren't entering the chamber properly, your barrel's feed cone may need to be altered.  Rudy @ Macon Armory performs a mod to the feed cone that seems to help the Glock lowers feeding.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're going to hear this from a bunch of people, for good reason. Send the barrel to Rudy (mad machinist) at Macon Armory. He will re-profile the feed cone so that all your feeding issues are a thing of the past, for a very reasonable price.  I have 2 and they both feed everything.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you verified that the bolt, is not dragging over the ejector, mag feed lips, or other stuff  ??

Have you set the length of the stroke at 1/8" past bolt catch  ??

What brand lower/barrel/trigger ??

Link Posted: 8/17/2020 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Send the barrel to Rudy at Macon Armory. After he is done it will feed anything.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Another recommendation for Rudy at Macon. Fantastic dude.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Not enough info. PCCs parted  together from random vendors can be a nightmare to troubleshoot.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 2:34:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Taccom makes a feedramp that helped me on an ATI (NFA clone) that was slamming bullets into the lower back of the barrel. With the ramp, it's right into the chamber. Best $20.00 I spent on that gun.

https://taccom3g.com/product/taccom-glock-lower-feedramp/
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not enough info. PCCs parted  together from random vendors can be a nightmare to troubleshoot.
View Quote

this is true............
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Especially Glock lowers.....
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Can you post a couple pictures of your installed feed ramp?  I have a glock lower and I'm having the same issue.  I ordered one of these feed ramps from Taccom3g.  Please send me an email if you don't want to post pics.  I just want to see it in it's final position.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Taccom makes a feedramp that helped me on an ATI (NFA clone) that was slamming bullets into the lower back of the barrel. With the ramp, it's right into the chamber. Best $20.00 I spent on that gun.

https://taccom3g.com/product/taccom-glock-lower-feedramp/
View Quote

I installed one of those ramps and don't understand how it can work. The top of the ramp is even with the front of the magazine. How can that affect feeding? The bullet is higher than the feed ramp as soon as it leaves the magazine. Maybe I didn't cut the notches deeply enough since they say it can be as much as .060" deep and I installed mine .030" deep, just enough to be flush with the mating surface of the upper.

I'm waiting for one of Taccom's barrels to come in stock. That design looks like it should fix all Glock mag AR feeding problems.

ETA: I must have been half asleep or the light was bad when I looked at the ramp installation the first time. I thought about what I said and then took another look. The top front of the mag is just even with the bottom of the ramp, just the way it should be. I still want one of Taccom's barrels.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Especially Glock lowers.....
View Quote

Ive got a QC 10 lower 9mm that I have used three different uppers on it...........gobble up everything in sight.........ran 200 rounds through it a couple of weeks ago.......nary a hiccup............NFA barrel and a Gorrilla machining barrel flawless from the jump........Faxon barrel had the chamber cut too deep and I was getting light strikes..............Mad machinist did his magic.......modified the feed cone and refaced the barrel to get proper head space..............It is my go to\shit hit the fan carbine...................
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ive got a QC 10 lower 9mm that I have used three different uppers on it...........gobble up everything in sight.........ran 200 rounds through it a couple of weeks ago.......nary a hiccup............NFA barrel and a Gorrilla machining barrel flawless from the jump........Faxon barrel had the chamber cut too deep and I was getting light strikes..............Mad machinist did his magic.......modified the feed cone and refaced the barrel to get proper head space..............It is my go to\shit hit the fan carbine...................
View Quote

Mine is a Sharps Bros "Jack 9".  Apparently I had not done the proper research beforehand.  My upper is a standard upper, JP Short Stroke Bolt & SCS (purchased together), a JP Supermatch Barrel, and JP Comp.  My focus was on the upper assembly as I had it in my mind that the Glock lowers were the cat's meow.  I'm experiencing the same condition as the OP.  It's not reliably feeding.  I came across this video where BELOW Tim Ubl of Taccom3g is being interviewed and about the 10 min mark he touches on something I feel like is pretty critical information.  He mentions JP and Jones Arms having gotten the dimension right and all other glock lower clones are wrong.  If yours feeds that well, then maybe QC10 got it right too.  Is there any way you can snap a picture of the mag inserted into the lower.  I'm guessing that it's closer to the barrel by that .200" Tim mentions.  

I'm hoping Taccom's feed ramp will solve my problem.  If I had to do it over again, I would go with a dedicated Colt lower or a Colt Mag Block.  I still may if this Jack 9 doesn't get to working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEJ3xCtXJPg&feature=emb_logo

Edit: Actually Tim Ubl mentions QC10 as having made a very reliable lower.

Link Posted: 10/12/2020 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's the top view of the Jack 9 lower.  It's clear there's a good jump from the magazine to the barrel and if the bolt doesn't get ahold of it with the nose in the air, then it dives right into the bottom of the barrel on the flat; not the cone.  I'll try to get some pics of that tonight.

Link Posted: 10/14/2020 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#21]
QC10 lower that I have has never had a failure to feed or eject.............I only use factory glock magazines ....with the exception of 2 ETS magazines that work too,         Their LRBHO sucks........Rube Goldberg affair in my opinion...........I dicked around with it for at least a couple of years...........totally sucks............I removed it and bagged the parts............have not looked back.............If you dont mind a phone call.........give Rudy at Macon Armory a call............if he can't get it up and running 100% no one can.......................
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 10:55:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This is a 100% fixable condition with a feed cone recut....
View Quote

I've got the Taccom3g feed ramp mentioned above installed.  Going to give that a try and see if it improves feeding.
Can you post or email me a picture of what your feed cone recut looks like?  It's obvious from the numerous testimonials on here that you know what you're doing.  
I'm not ruling that out.  - Thanks
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Any of these tricks work with .40 S&W barrels? 80% Arms Glock lower and what I think are barrels & uppers from NFA, and KVP BCG's.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:20:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Taccom makes barrels with a built in feed ramp too.

Dave N
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've got the Taccom3g feed ramp mentioned above installed.  Going to give that a try and see if it improves feeding.
View Quote

I finally got to the range to try this out.  It installed easily.  I just used a standard flat file and slowly worked it down until it fit flush and snug.  Now that I know it works, I may use some JB weld to hold it in place.  I ran 120 rnds through it today at lunch.  It fed flawlessly.  Not one Failure except one reload where primer was too deep and it didn't ignite.  I'm excited that this feed ramp seems to have fixed my issue.  I did not have any hollow points with me though so that will be the acid test.  I have a gob of Hornady XTPs that I've loaded.  Those didn't feed very well in it before.

On another note; I tried the Endo-mag on a standard lower with my JP SCS9MM buffer and it did not work well at all.  It chambered the 1st round fine then the 2nd round jammed into the bottom.  Tried it 4 times with the exact same result.  Then took it back apart.  The endo-mag's built in feed ramp did not alleviate that issue.  The Taccom feed ramp interfered with the endo-mag so I took it out to test the endo mags.  I wonder if the JP bolt is more geared to the Glock's single presentation feed config and not too friendly to to the colt-style double presentation.

Anyway...happy with the Taccom feed ramp.  Will post more when I try the HPs.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I wonder if the JP bolt is more geared to the Glock's single presentation feed config and not too friendly to to the colt-style double presentation.
View Quote

Given that the JP bolt is, I presume, designed to work with their rifles (Glock mags only) that's a reasonable assumption.
I'll try moving my JP bolt over to my AR-based PCC using an Endomag as a test...
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Are you using a Tubb flat spring?

I would suggest using a standard carbine spring and upping the buffer weight to 8-10oz.

I've found that the stronger the buffer spring and the less the reciprocating buffer weight, the faster the feed rate is which results in a lower feed on the feed cone.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 6:53:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Just circling back on this...I’ve been to range three times now after installing the Taccom3G feed ramp and so far it seems to have cured my ills. Still haven’t fed it a steady diet of HPs yet but it’s feeding the ball ammo fine.

Curious as to any results with the endomag

And I haven’t tinkered with the buffer or spring. Just got the JP SCS as it was originally configured.  It makes sense what you’re saying about bolt speed though.

On another note, my buddy bought the Taccom3G 4.5” barrel and bolt combo.  It’s got the ramp integrated and some kind of a locating tab at the top of the barrel that corresponds to a groove in the top of the bolt.  It’s a nice setup. We put his upper on my “Jack” lower with a std carbine spring and buffer and it fed like a hose. No issues.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top