Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/28/2015 8:18:13 PM EDT
Hi all, I'm running a:

Spike's Tactical 9mm Buffer.
CMMG BCG
CAR Buffer Spring
Anderson Slick Side with Gas/Shell Deflector

I put about 120 rounds through my rifle today. It honestly ran great. But my dominant arm was getting black crud all over it, and I also think some got me in the cheek. I ran the BCG pretty wet for the initial break in.
So when the rifle got pretty hot, I'm sure some lube/oil got me on the right side of the face. The burn honestly isn't that bad, it's just a minor nuisance/red-ness. Shooting this thing lefty would suck though.

Is it going to be like this every time I shoot? My face is too pretty to have hot carbon/oil sprayed at it

Are there any accessories that can reduce the blowback/splash back? I'm positive it wasn't coming from the charging handle port.
Not looking to spend a bunch of money on a special upper(RRA/Colt). So if anyone knows of any that are cheap, I'm down.

Pic of the current slickside
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a heaver grease like  slip 200 ewg and have zero problems with splash back.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#2]
My 9mm uppers have the Colt-style gas deflector.  I've never had stuff blow back or out enough to get me in the face, nor to dirty my arm, for that matter.

Picture from THIS archived thread, which is pretty appropriate for our current discussion.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#3]
This is my setup for now till my stamp arrives

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Slo-mo video showing a suppressed 9mm AR with the 9mm/22LR deflector:  https://vimeo.com/87059922

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I currently have 2 different uppers for my 9SBR but I have never had this happen to me. Both suppressed and unsuppressed. Neither of my uppers have the "deflector" installed. Exactly how wet was the bolt?
Current setup
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I currently have 2 different uppers for my 9SBR but I have never had this happen to me. Both suppressed and unsuppressed. Neither of my uppers have the "deflector" installed. Exactly how wet was the bolt?
Current setup
<a href="http://s253.photobucket.com/user/kdventus/media/DSC_03681.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/kdventus/DSC_03681.jpg</a>
View Quote

Pretty wet, I won't be doing that again. Btw I like your build
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:34:04 AM EDT
[#7]
You run the bolt in an AR wet...not the whole carrier.  No rotating bolt in a 9mm, no need to run the whole thing wet.  A light coating up top and on the bottom is all mine gets.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:29:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Get a kit with proper gas and brass deflector, I guess...
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#9]
OP, I had the same problem with a open port 9.

Put on a NICE Tactical Recovery Systems brass catcher.

Yowsah.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:30:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hi all, I'm running a:

Spike's Tactical 9mm Buffer.
CMMG BCG
CAR Buffer Spring
Anderson Slick Side with Gas/Shell Deflector

I put about 120 rounds through my rifle today. It honestly ran great. But my dominant arm was getting black crud all over it, and I also think some got me in the cheek. I ran the BCG pretty wet for the initial break in.
So when the rifle got pretty hot, I'm sure some lube/oil got me on the right side of the face. The burn honestly isn't that bad, it's just a minor nuisance/red-ness. Shooting this thing lefty would suck though.

Is it going to be like this every time I shoot? My face is too pretty to have hot carbon/oil sprayed at it

I have 700rds through mine and nothing like you describe.I'm also using Mobile 1 for lube and plenty of it for the initial break in. CMMG complete 9mm upper.

Are there any accessories that can reduce the blowback/splash back? I'm positive it wasn't coming from the charging handle port.
Not looking to spend a bunch of money on a special upper(RRA/Colt). So if anyone knows of any that are cheap, I'm down.

Pic of the current slickside
http://i.imgur.com/gTSHxOx.jpg?1
View Quote

I have 700rds through mine and nothing like you describe.I'm also using Mobile 1 for lube and plenty of it for the initial break in. CMMG complete 9mm upper.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top