Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/22/2015 11:55:17 PM EDT
3 gun trigger on a 9mm

Question on if anyone else has tried this trigger with a 9mm

So far I like it but I am having an issue where there are times the hammer follows the bolt home and then I have a dead trigger.

No light primer strikes or anything like that it just happens sometimes and each time it happens it ends up with me racking a new shell and continuing.

Wondering if maybe I made a huge mistake on a trigger and now I don't know what to do.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:14:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
3 gun trigger on a 9mm

Question on if anyone else has tried this trigger with a 9mm

So far I like it but I am having an issue where there are times the hammer follows the bolt home and then I have a dead trigger.

No light primer strikes or anything like that it just happens sometimes and each time it happens it ends up with me racking a new shell and continuing.

Wondering if maybe I made a huge mistake on a trigger and now I don't know what to do.
View Quote

Yes.   You have made a mistake.   Put that trigger in a 5.56 or 300BO gun.

See my posting on my search for the best 9mm trigger.

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:15:07 AM EDT
[#2]
No help with the 3 gun trigger but I had the same issue with my CMC trigger. I think the issue is the ramped bolt or hammer profile of different triggers. Just a little to much ramp and you have problems with some hammers resetting, same with the hammer profile, just tiny bit to thin and failure to reset. My solution was installing an SSA trigger... not an inexpensive fix
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:17:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No help with the 3 gun trigger but I had the same issue with my CMC trigger. I think the issue is the ramped bolt or hammer profile of different triggers. Just a little to much ramp and you have problems with some hammers resetting, same with the hammer profile, just tiny bit to thin and failure to reset. My solution was installing an SSA trigger... not an inexpensive fix
View Quote

Same as above.   See my posting and link above.

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:21:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Heck, I might as well post the same here too...

Quoted:

What is a great trigger for 9mm ARs?

I have a few 9mm ARs.  (These are Colt/UZI pattern ARs and not Glock mag guns.)   I have found many aftermarket AR triggers do not function in 9mm ARs.  Some examples I have tried are Geissele 3gun triggers (S3G and SD3G).   This applies to ramped and unramped bolts.   I have found the same with CMC.   Neither will pass a simple function test.   Jards seem OK, but becomes unreliable in the high end of 9mm cycling rates.

I think the issue with failing to pass simple function tests is the hammers are too short and do not have a rounded head to them.   Some of these triggers with some bolt combinations will completely lock the gun up and require separating the upper and lower.  

These aftermarket triggers work fine in 5.56 and 300BO guns.   They are light, fun, and fast.   Those triggers are lighter than what I can put together for my 9mm AR.   But, my 9mm ARs can absolutely smoke them in rate of fire.    (Yes, I do understand why.)   I just want the best possible trigger in my 9mm ARs to maximize performance.  

So far, the best set up I have found is an unnotched DPMS trigger, polished, installed with JP reduced weight springs, and reducing take up with a set screw.  The pull weight will come in at 3.5# to 4.0# depending on gauge placement.   I have not found any trigger that runs better/faster than this... reliably.   This combination is fast and works with either type of bolt.     However, I would image someone out there surely has a great trigger for the 9mm AR platform that will beat what I can put together.  

I want a FCG that is :
Stone Cold reliable, from function test to running anywhere between 600-900RPM
Light in pull/weight
Short on take up and reset
Moderate price range, below a limit of $350

AND, it has to beat the DPMS style mentioned above... hands down.

Note : This will be cross posted in the AR Pistol forum/section.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is a quick and inexpensiveI fix to get a Geissele SD3G to work with a 9mm ramped bolt.

I have a CMMG mk9 8.5" upper with a ramped bolt. After shooting the SD3G in a friends 10.5" 5.56 SBR, I knew that I needed one for my 9mm SBR. Knowing that the SD3G hammer wouldn't reset with a ramped bolt, I took my bolt into my local gun shop (Curts Discount Shooters Supply, Portland Oregon) and they put a small tac weld on the underside of my bolt, allowing it to consistently reset the bolt after each shot. The trigger now functions flawlessly and only cost me $10 to modify the bolt. It was a lot cheaper then spending $100+ on a new ramped 9mm bolt and is a blast to shoot! How this helps some people out there.

" />
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Oops. accidentally posted twice.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought about this the other night. If I were to fill the ramped part with jb weld or I guess even a tac weld.  So it works 100% now?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, 100%.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#9]
How high is the spot weld? Did they grind it down smooth somewhat? I have a RRA match trigger in my 9mm pistol and the hammer will not reset intermittently. Oddly enough,if you pull the charging handle again it will eject the loaded round,feed another round and reset the hammer every time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Another option is just get an unramped bolt.  I have a SD3G in a 9mm SBR that runs 100% with an ADCO unramped, glock cut bolt.  It would not function with the ramped bolt at all.  Sell your ramped bolt to someone not running an upgraded trigger.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top