Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/18/2015 9:39:05 PM EDT
All of my searches have revealed that an ideal buffer setup is a CAR length tube with a 9q or ST-9X buffer with a Wolff XP spring.

However, my question is if I have a shorter "pistol" length tube, is the same heavy buffer and Wolff spring combo still preferred? Or does the shorter tube eliminate the need for the longer, heavier buffer?

This is for a 9mm pistol build using a 7.5" barrel.

TIA!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#1]
In my setup using a 5" barrel I used a standard carbine buffer tube and spring with the spikes ST-9x buffer with great results. I do have a Wolff XP spring that I tried in it but it lead to problems for me. I reload my own 9mm that I run in this gun and I never tried factory with the Wolff spring. I suspect factory ammo would work with the Wolff XP spring as my own 9mm is on the lighter side. YMMV
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen that various springs have been used on the car length tubes and that the 9mm buffers have been consistent.

I need to order the correct buffer and spring for the shorter pistol tube.

I guess I could order a car length tube but all the ones I have seen are for collapsible stocks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:33:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Is anyone running a pistol length tube on a 9mm?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:45:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is anyone running a pistol length tube on a 9mm?
View Quote

I was under the impression that pistol receiver extensions were the same length as their rifle counterparts?  I.E. 7.25" for carbine (common for pistols). Do you have a link to the one you're referring to?

SPECS: Aluminum, hardcoat anodized, matte black. 7 3/8 ” (18.7 cm) long. 1¼” (3.1cm) O.D.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:09:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll measure it. I think it's around 7 inches.  I thought the car tubes were over 8 inches in length.  If they are the same size then I'll go with the 9q and standard spring for starters.

Thanks for the info on the rifles tube length as I thought they were longer.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#6]
No problem.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top