Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/16/2015 6:15:45 AM EDT
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the site so I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I'm still looking through the wealth of information here and am looking forward to learning a lot. I'm a vet of 8 years. While I do not currently own an AR I've used one enough to not need to. Still I never really got into the technical specs of an AR and that is what I'm doing now. I've taken up coon hunting with hounds over the past few years. I was finding that I really missed those features I had with my AR but here in the safe state of NY I couldn't have them.

I thought about getting a ruger 10/22 but the detachable mag meant I couldn't have what I was looking for. So I set out to make for myself what I wanted. Below are some pictures of what I came up with. It is a Marlin Model 60 .22 that I cut off the end of the stock and replaced it with a standard AR telescoping stock. I then took a standard A2 grip which worked perfectly and screwed on some forearm rails so I can use all the goodies with it. No detachable mag means I can do whatever I want to it and be safe according to NY.

I wanted to post it up and see from the people who are really into the AR's I modeled it after what do you think, like, or would have done differently? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:26:23 AM EDT
[#1]
That pistol grip does not look comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:51:09 AM EDT
[#2]
What doesn't look comfortable to you? The grip itself or the the way it is attached?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:53:21 AM EDT
[#3]
The angle
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:41:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Because it is so straight down you mean? I had to cut the lower part of the stock so I could even get my thumb behind the grip. It isn't uncomfortable but you are probably right it could be better. The screw that holds the grip on is also what holds the gun to the stock. Are there grips that are standard that have more of an angle? Also the stock goes from 1" longer to 2" shorter. And boy that 1" longer makes it fit so nice for me.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:47:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Yea seems really straight up and down. I don't know of any other angled ones that would work. Maybe you could make a small shim from some plastic.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#6]
They do make a grip just for this gun that is modeled after an A2. From what i understand it is just a touch wider and a quarter inch longer at the top. Same angle. I'm worried about changing the angle because of the screw hole. But one that it's made for an ar15 with more of an angle should work right? Anyone with any ideas please let me know. I find it comfortable but it might make it better and the grips don't usually cost much.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The angle
View Quote

This.

I bet you could take a portion of the top of the pistol grip off and that would allow the pistol grip to sit normally against the bottom of the stock while keeping it at the angle it should be.

That way you don't have to worry about messing up the stock
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:01:22 AM EDT
[#8]
So I shot it finally last night. I agree the grip is to close to the trigger. I'll have to play around with it and see what I can do. Maybe I can put the stock screw back in and just use a different screw like a wood screw into the stock at a spot slightly further back. Another thing i noticed is I screwed up a little making this and meant for it to only go 1" longer but it goes 1 5/8" longer therefore instead of 2" shorter its only 1 3/8" shorter. But it was really comfortable at the full extension. What is everyone's opinion on this. Which is more important it going longer or it going shorter? Here is a video of me shooting it.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/h0rndUflP6g[/youtube]
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 5:58:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I cut into the stock a little more and gave the grip more of an angle. Seems more comfortable. I'm going to try to shoot it this weekend to see for sure. Thoughts on length? I have 3" to play with. My target was 1" longer and 2" shorter. I ended up at 1 5/8" longer which for me is spot on. and 1"3/8 shorter. Is it being longer more important to everyone than being able to make it shorter?
" />
" />
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top