Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/4/2015 1:55:28 PM EDT
I'm buying the last few pieces for my 9mm build and I'm trying to figure out what mag block to go with.  I will be putting it in a registered lower, so i will be swapping out calibers from time to time.  It seems that one that inserts from the bottom would work best.  I thought I was pretty set on the Spikes model, but then i read about some lowers splitting from the tension screws with the RRA blocks.  Being a registered lower, I really don't want to deal with that.  What do you guys think, is that a concern?  Or do you think those individuals just tightened the hell out of the tension screw?
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Three tension screw had to be mighty tight to split a lower.

Or there was anomalies in the lower to cause a split.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I run a Hahn 9mm bottom-loading block in my Colt 614 (full-auto).  You tighten down one screw with an Allen head wrench, and that in turn drives a smooth horizontal bar against the front of the magazine well.  It locks in place very tight, and has not left any marks on the mag well at all.  If you buy it from Brownells and don't like the block Brownells will take it back no questions asked.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#3]
That was the other unit I was looking at.  Maybe i'll go with that one instead.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I run a Hahn 9mm bottom-loading block in my Colt 614 (full-auto).  You tighten down one screw with an Allen head wrench, and that in turn drives a smooth horizontal bar against the front of the magazine well.  It locks in place very tight, and has not left any marks on the mag well at all.  If you buy it from Brownells and don't like the block Brownells will take it back no questions asked.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a Hahn mag block--a top loader.  I also have a Hahn mag block for my 45 acp PCC.  I really enjoy the precision of their products.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#5]
If you don't mind having to pull the bolt catch when you switch calibers I can vouch for the Hahn permanent mount block.  I used one when I reconfigured my 10 year old 9mm carbine from a V-M Hytech block and Uzi mags to the Hahn block and Colt pattern mags - I really wanted that LRBHO.  The Hahn block has run 100% since day one.

This one:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/caliber-conversion-kits/dedicated-9mm-conversion-block-sku100002321-24937-48076.aspx?sku=100002321
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:22:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I run a Hahn dedicated block with a CMMG upper.  

It runs great with metalform mags.

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:11:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you don't mind having to pull the bolt catch when you switch calibers I can vouch for the Hahn permanent mount block.  I used one when I reconfigured my 10 year old 9mm carbine from a V-M Hytech block and Uzi mags to the Hahn block and Colt pattern mags - I really wanted that LRBHO.  The Hahn block has run 100% since day one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I run a Hahn dedicate block with a CMMG upper.  It runs great with metalform mags.

Ditto and ditto.

I've yet to have a single failure on my JSE 9mm upper, Hahn dedicated block, and Metalform mags.

I went with the dedicated block because of the reputation, the fact I wanted LRBHO, and that I build my SBRs to be paired with an upper instead of swapping them around.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 12:22:11 AM EDT
[#8]
While on the topic of the Hahn block.. I'm current planning a 9mm build, using a 16" colt barrel and plan to use an old school A1 upper for a Retro look. With the Hahn block, Colt barrel do you guys for see any problems if the upper has M4 ramp cuts?
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 1:04:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Eventually it will be dedicated, but as of now I only have 2 registered lowers.  Getting a silencer for everything is taking priority over having enough SBR lowers for all the uppers.   So for the time being it would be better for me to have the ability to install and remove it with little effort.  Do you guys think the Hahn bottom loader is the best choice given my needs ?

Quoted:
While on the topic of the Hahn block.. I'm current planning a 9mm build, using a 16" colt barrel and plan to use an old school A1 upper for a Retro look. With the Hahn block, Colt barrel do you guys for see any problems if the upper has M4 ramp cuts?
View Quote

Mag block has it's own feed ramps, the cuts on the receiver do not matter one way or the other.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got the Spikes block and it has two set screws. One presses the block forward and the other cams two blocks out to the sides. It locks in nice and tight and I couldn't imagine how you could possibly tighten a little set screw tight enough to split a lower open.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#11]
My RRA block has one setscrew, and it really doesn't have any way to damage a lower.  Spikes' block is essentially a "product improved" version of the RRA block. The extra setscrews allow you to give the block more support, but you don't have to tighten any of them very much to get the blocks really solidly fixed in the mag well.  I'm prone to think that anyone whose lower "split" while using such mag blocks was doing a lot of things really wrong.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 8:34:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I used a RRA in a couple of different lowers I had including a Cav Arms "plastic" one...which is actually Nylon.. It worked great in all the lowers and never caused an issue in any. If someone broke their lower with one....they likely screwed up themselves by grossly over tightening it.

The bottom loader adapter was a quick and easy swap, turn the screw and push in the mag release and it was done. The top loaders require you to remove parts with a hammer and punch. Since the bottom loading, fast change RRA worked so flawlessly for me I really saw ZERO reason to switch to anything else. But, as they always say, YMMV
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Eventually it will be dedicated, but as of now I only have 2 registered lowers.  Getting a silencer for everything is taking priority over having enough SBR lowers for all the uppers.   So for the time being it would be better for me to have the ability to install and remove it with little effort.  Do you guys think the Hahn bottom loader is the best choice given my needs ?
View Quote

Yes, I think it's an excellent choice for your needs, it's very easy to install and remove.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the input. Brownells seems to be the cheapest option, but they are back ordered. Any other good sources to get one?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the input. Brownells seems to be the cheapest option, but they are back ordered. Any other good sources to get one?
View Quote

Never ordered from them though.

9mmAR
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I have used several RRA and one Spikes over the years
The RRA's have always worked. Set them as low as possible, just so the mag release is free.
Spikes worked, but I think the noobie could misadjust the tilt screws.

And I bought a ProMag for it's low price. It looks flimsy but it worked. Good for a cheapskate .
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dustin Hahn sells direct, too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

9mmAR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

9mmAR

I just ordered some stuff from them and I got quick order confirmation and shipping was fast. Seem to be good folk.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Brownells got them back in stock, and they are $30 cheaper with the discount. Ordered the bottom loader and a brownells mag. Only part left is the stripped upper and however many more months the feds take to approve my octane.  Thanks for all the advice.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Brownells got them back in stock, and they are $30 cheaper with the discount. Ordered the bottom loader and a brownells mag. Only part left is the stripped upper and however many more months the feds take to approve my octane.  Thanks for all the advice.
View Quote

Which discount?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:45:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Which discount?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which discount?

If you have a C&R FFL. Brownell's sells to you at their "dealer" prices.  I'll bet that's it, or something like it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you have a C&R FFL. Brownell's sells to you at their "dealer" prices.  I'll bet that's it, or something like it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which discount?

Yes, that would make sense. Thanks.

This topic is relevant to my interests, because I'm serously considering building a replica 633/DOE upper, and that upper is no good without a properly-configured lower, and the heart of that lower is the magwell block.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Which discount?
View Quote

Correct, the C&R discount.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Also and LE armorer's discount even when retired.
I use one of the original Hahn 9mm mag blocks in my AR lower. As many know, these use the un-modified Uzi mags.
There were numerous reports of these mag blocks not running very well. My first one bought thru Brownell's was one. I returned it and got a replacement which has run 100% since. I've been told I am lucky that it does.
No, the bolt does not lock back on the last shot fired. This was an early criticism of this model.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#25]
The Hahn bottom loading block came in today, and I was not disappointed.  It installed easily, in seconds. The tensioner can only extend so far as to not allow over tightening.  Now for a day off to test fire it. Thanks for all the recommendations.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top