Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/20/2014 7:11:07 AM EDT
Long time reader and first time poster.... I purchased a CMMG Sierra upper and want to change the hand guard from a carbine length to a middy. Question is does the delta ring provide tension on the actual hand guard or does the delta ring just lock it in place? The gas block (fake) is just clamped in place and any tips on keeping it straight when I slide it down for the new hand guard would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:21:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Go with a freefloat handguard and get rid of the gas block and delta ring all together. Thank me later.

I did what you were asking at first. You really have to clamp down the gas bock due To cuts in the barrel. Midlength is going to put the gas block right at the m4 barrel cuts. You can use a sharpie on the barrel to keep everything in line.

Get a midlength or rifle length freefloat. If you are on a budget, look at the UTG Pro Slim free float.njust over $100

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got one as well, and have some very interesting findings.

The charging handle on this has the cut out for gas tube while there is no gas system on this gun. I am swapping it out  with the anti-jam one which doesn't have space for gas tube.  I will try the stock one on a regular AR instead. Hope the hot gas won't melt the polymer charging handle.

I am also removing the fake gas block, mainly because it has a bayonet lug that is illegal in NJ. I also have to remove the flash hider, which is also illegal here. I think I'll take the opportunity to install a free float rail on this.

Forward assist on this is fake as well... that is kinda annoying. I wish they indicated that in description and I would have gotten the parts to make it functional.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the idea of the UTG rail... Good price. I guess UTG is making better stuff these days? They used to be mostly air soft stuff.

For right now I already have MOE mid length  hand guard  that my son likes.

I ditched the anti jam charging handle for a standard one I had laying around... Forward assist being fake did not bother me but may just get the parts for the heck of it...
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't get me wrong, that handguard is still a budget handguard but the UTG Pro series is Leaper's push into the "real steel" market and it works as good or better than a MI freeflaot HG. Really nice. I was willing to give it a try. Here is the 13" on my CMMG dedicated 22lr upper.

As for the forward assist, remember that you have to get the CMMG bolt parts as well as the FA parts to make it work correctly. Best upgrade I have done to my dedicated 22lr AR is the Taccom pressure plug.

Hubmonkey - if you want to upgrade that MOE midlength I have a Midwest Industries SS drop in for sale. IM me for details.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't get me wrong, that handguard is still a budget handguard but the UTG Pro series is Leaper's push into the "real steel" market and it works as good or better than a MI freeflaot HG. Really nice. I was willing to give it a try. Here is the 13" on my CMMG dedicated 22lr upper.

http://i60.tinypic.com/wmjupd.jpg

As for the forward assist, remember that you have to get the CMMG bolt parts as well as the FA parts to make it work correctly. Best upgrade I have done to my dedicated 22lr AR is the Taccom pressure plug.

Hubmonkey - if you want to upgrade that MOE midlength I have a Midwest Industries SS drop in for sale. IM me for details.
View Quote

Good looking .22lr. I went with the FDE on one if my .22lrs.  I purchased it used and it already had been switched out for a Sampson rail.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:47:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Ohhh...the double shell deflector!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah is that thing really needed? It is ugly and the upper won't fit into upper vice with it on.

Anyone know if the flash hider is pinned and welded on these? I am having a really hard time trying to remove it.

Edit: Got it off.. not welded or pinned, just super tight.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://i60.tinypic.com/wmjupd.jpg

View Quote

Been out for a few days.... How round is that UTG? I am not a fan of the quad rails but like the Troy alpha and MI SS Gen2 as they are slim and round...
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:03:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Leapers webpage says it is 1.65 inch. Super skinny!
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah is that thing really needed? It is ugly and the upper won't fit into upper vice with it on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Made no difference when I removed mine.

Looks better with a standard door IMHO.

Also want to swap out the polymer charging handle and see how that works out.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top