Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2013 12:05:42 PM EDT
But TulAmmo runs great.  Both were 115gr.  Blazer ammo just didn't seem to have enough power to cycle reliably and eject the spent round causing stove pipes.  
My setup is pretty much a frankenbuild.  Colt M4 receiver (yes, real Colt), 16" barrel off GB was sold as Bushmaster old stock but unused, RRA mag adapter, YHM bolt, RRA 9mm buffer.  I know I can just stick with ammo I know works but I'd like to make it run all cheap ammo reliably.  I think a reduced power buffer spring should help but wondering if there will be any negatives when switching to normal power loads besides increased recoil.  What say you?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 1:39:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine wouldn't cycle very well on a heavy 9mm buffer either. I switched to a standard weight buffer aNd ran a spacer in the buffer tube. Cycles 100% with any ammo I shove into it now.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#2]
quite often aluminum case Blazer rim diameter is on the max end of SAMMI spec......and aluminum deforms into any imperfections in the chamber resulting in sticky extraction.....before I did anything I'd hone the chamber and polish the rim of the pocket in the bolt face.......It very well could be the buffer/spring combo but it can't hurt to hone and polish.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine wouldn't cycle very well on a heavy 9mm buffer either. I switched to a standard weight buffer aNd ran a spacer in the buffer tube. Cycles 100% with any ammo I shove into it now.
View Quote

Actually, this was with a standard weight buffer.  I was trying the standard buffer hoping to break in the spring.  I didn't install my 9mm buffer till after I switched ammo.  It needed the heavier buffer to calm down the ejection!  
I'll try polishing the chamber a bit and see what that does.  This was built on the cheap to shoot the cheap stuff and Tulammo is about as cheap as it gets so I guess I can't complain too much.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:17:10 PM EDT
[#4]
My 9mm shreds aluminum Blazer cases - every time.  I gave up on that stuff and tried Barnaul steel cased stuff, which runs 100%.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:21:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I have had 2 different 9mm ARs that would choke on Blazer, and my friend had the same experience with his.

I have given up on Blazer in blowback guns, though it does seem to work well in locked breech guns.

My theory is that the co-efficient of friction between the aluminum case and the steel chamber is greater than that between either brass or steel case and steel chamber.

So, possibly, a lighter buffer might enable an AR to successfully use Blazer.  I haven't tried this however.

Blazer works well in my SIG, and I only have 3 boxes left anyway.  Most everything else works well in my AR.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:28:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have had 2 different 9mm ARs that would choke on Blazer, and my friend had the same experience with his.

I have given up on Blazer in blowback guns, though it does seem to work well in locked breech guns.

My theory is that the co-efficient of friction between the aluminum case and the steel chamber is greater than that between either brass or steel case and steel chamber.

So, possibly, a lighter buffer might enable an AR to successfully use Blazer.  I haven't tried this however.

Blazer works well in my SIG, and I only have 3 boxes left anyway.  Most everything else works well in my AR.

View Quote

I disagree with your theory.  in a blowback gun, the case is still under substantial pressure (though safe) when extraction begins.  When the less-sturdy aluminum case clears the chamber enough, it can no longer withstand the internal pressure and it is ripped apart.  Every aluminum case Blazer failure I experienced featured a shredded case, starting just ahead of the case web.

I totally agree that the aluminum cased stuff runs great in locked breech pistols..
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:37:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I disagree with your theory.  in a blowback gun, the case is still under substantial pressure (though safe) when extraction begins.  When the less-sturdy aluminum case clears the chamber enough, it can no longer withstand the internal pressure and it is ripped apart.  Every aluminum case Blazer failure I experienced featured a shredded case, starting just ahead of the case web.

I totally agree that the aluminum cased stuff runs great in locked breech pistols..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am going to stick with my theory.  I have not experienced shredded Blazer cases.  The malfunctions I have experienced are consistent with the rearward velocity of the bolt being too low, which is why I think it is caused by friction between the aluminum case and the steel chamber.

If you are experiencing shredded cases/ripped apart cases, then maybe your buffer is too light, where mine is too heavy.  

Lots of variables here.  I suspect that experimentation with varying buffer weights would help both of us solve our problems.  It is just easier for me to use brass or steel cased instead.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:46:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow,......my DDLES/VLTOR 9mm build runs Blazer Brass VERY well!
I am running a 10.5" RRA barrel, CMMG ramped bolt and a 8.5oz buffer and spring from Slash.

The combination has been 100% reliable.......thus far.(knocks on wood)
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Like I said, lots of variables involved here.  I am mildly surprised that your 9 runs Blazer well with an 8.5 oz buffer.  I have used an 8 0z buffer in my 9, though most of my experience is with the factory buffer, which I think is 5 oz.

With Blazer, my malfunction rate is about 20%, so it wouldn't take too much to fix that problem.  A lighter buffer might very well do the trick.

Of course, your ramped bolt may also be a good thing, as far as Blazer is concerned.  Mine is not ramped.  Might be more than enough to make a difference.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#10]
What trigger are you running with that bolt?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#11]
My Colt 9mm has its original trigger. The Frankengun has whatever trigger was in the DPMS lower parts kit.

The hammer on the Colt is the original hammer.  The hammer on the Frankengun is a semi hammer, Dremeled to look like the hammer on the Colt.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#12]
The ramped bolt ARs seem to run smoother.......
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am going to stick with my theory.  I have not experienced shredded Blazer cases.  The malfunctions I have experienced are consistent with the rearward velocity of the bolt being too low, which is why I think it is caused by friction between the aluminum case and the steel chamber.

If you are experiencing shredded cases/ripped apart cases, then maybe your buffer is too light, where mine is too heavy.  

Lots of variables here.  I suspect that experimentation with varying buffer weights would help both of us solve our problems.  It is just easier for me to use brass or steel cased instead.
View Quote

I hadn't considered that since mine has a "9mm" buffer, which weighs about 5.5oz and seems to be pretty heavy.  Is your buffer a carbine type buffer, a "9mm" buffer, or something else?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wow,......my DDLES/VLTOR 9mm build runs Blazer Brass VERY well!
I am running a 10.5" RRA barrel, CMMG ramped bolt and a 8.5oz buffer and spring from Slash.

The combination has been 100% reliable.......thus far.(knocks on wood)
View Quote

My problems have been with aluminum Blazer, not Blazer Brass.  I've never had a single hiccup with brass or steel ammo.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The combination has been 100% reliable.......thus far.
My problems have been with aluminum Blazer, not Blazer Brass.  I've never had a single hiccup with brass or steel ammo.
View Quote

What exactly is it doing to the brass?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The combination has been 100% reliable.......thus far.

The aluminum cases are shredded when they are extracted.  Brass and steel cases just get tossed away.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like a chamber issue. The alloy cases are sticking a bit.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sounds like a chamber issue. The alloy cases are sticking a bit.
View Quote

No, they weren't.  By "shredded" I don't mean "torn," or "with the rims broken."  I mean "shredded," as in the case being ripped open, apparently from the inside.  Torn cases due to sticky chambers do not open up this way.  As I stated earlier, I believe my issue is due to the aluminum case being extracted while there is still too much pressure inside the case for the aluminum to handle.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:10:23 AM EDT
[#19]
You need to go heavier.

See the 9mm-Q buffer.......I got the spring as well

HeavyBuffers.com
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:20:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I might look into that when (if) Blazer aluminum ammo gets back down to a price that competes with Barnaul steel-cased 9mm.  But that'll be a while.  I'm happy with the steel stuff

On a side note, when I was breaking in my Sterling Carbine (a Texas-made, semi-only version of the Sterling SMG), a guy at the range asked why I was using "cheap" (not the actual word he used) ammo in "such a nice gun?"  It's a combat tool, with a few mods to make it hard to convert it to an illegal SBR or SMG, not some precision device, and while I was nice, I told him basically that.  Besides, it was designed to run just about any 9mm, just in case "the Queen's supplied ammunition" wasn't available.  Even French ammo! :D  I pretty much think of my 9mm ARs the same way.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:41:50 AM EDT
[#21]
My .40 cal accuracy seems to diminish using the Blazer aluminum.   Don't plan on buying any more.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:55:21 AM EDT
[#22]
If I had thought of it before, I would have ordered the 11.5 oz blubber and removed weight to effectively tune it for my gun.
Mine runs very smoothly with the 8.5
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:33:55 AM EDT
[#23]
My issue was with Blazer aluminum case ammo.  I have not experienced the shredding issue though.  Just not enough power to fully extract and eject the spent case.  When it did eject, the case would barely fall out of the ejection port instead of flying out.  Most of the time it would just sit in the upper and jam up the next round.  I haven't even tried any brass cased stuff yet so who knows what I'll find when I do.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Measure the case rim with a micrometer....then the width of the bolt pocket.......you'll see what I mean...it'll run blazer aluminum...just need to open up the bolt pocket a few thousandths and I'll bet ya a crisp clean 20 dollar bill the issue goes away.........
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Genius!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top