Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2013 8:07:27 AM EDT
long time ago i bought a complete rifle with the Hesse polymer lower. later i read on the net that they had a problem with them breaking at the buffer tube area. so i took it off and replaced it with a regular one.  its been sitting around for a while and I am thinking it might make a good reciever for a 22.

So would it be strong enough for a 22?
anyone make a complete 22 parts kit?
should i just leave it in the drawer and just get a complete gun if i wanted a 22?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 8:15:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Well it is not what I would ever use, but as long as you do not run it over or drop it it should work atleast. Does it have plastic internals as well? That would probably cause more problems than the exterior plastic will.

Since you already have it anyway, give it a shot..

Link Posted: 7/11/2013 5:25:56 AM EDT
[#2]
This is off the main subject but some weapons are designed to be plastic like the Glock handguns. I ran an aluminum frame with a G22 and because the frame didn't flex like the polymer frame I had pins breaking.
I have been told that .22 uppers create a lot of stress on the fire control group. I don't know how that affects the polymer lower. I would hope that if you did have a problem the manufacture would fix it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#3]
The place you do not want to have polymer only in an AR rifle of any caliber
is the upper receiver. To make an AR upper have acceptable longevity it
must have a metal "sub-chassis." The M&P 15-22 has one but could use
improvement.

A polymer lower such as the Hesse has a reputation for failure at the
receiver extension, AKA "buffer tube." But this is due to the recoil factor of
centerfire cartridges. The rimfire exerts no such stress so there shouldn't be an
issue in that respect.

Where you may see accelerated wear is in the FCG pin holes as the AR in
rimfire more often than not requires full power hammer springs to ensure
reliable ignition.

So long as your take down pins and FCG pins line up O.K. and you are not planning on
using your gun for a club, there is no major reason not to use what you've
already got on hand. I prefer metal AR's but you have the part so give it a try.

Ted
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I feel the same way about, polymer uppers, I would stay away from. I do own a 15/22. I just don't like a metal barrel in polymer upper. Now lowers, I have seen allot of people get away with, and everybody I know uses a frontier polymer lower. heres one from Joe bobs:

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/New_Frontier_Armory_STRIPPED_AR15_Polymer_Lower_p/nfa-stripped.htm
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the polymer lower would be a good canidate for the KNS pins which would help keep the pin holes from wallering out.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I might use a Hesse lower for a door wedge.
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Sure, you could shoot a Hesse lower with a .22, it would be good enough for that.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think the polymer lower would be a good canidate for the KNS pins which would help keep the pin holes from wallering out.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought one back in 2001 (before I knew better).  It has had a dedicated .22 Upper on it since I got it.  Tens of thousands of rounds fired, no issues.  

Brad
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top