Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2012 3:08:59 PM EDT
I have a ASA 9mm kit on a Bushmaster lower.  I bought it used about 10 years ago off the EE from a member in CT (Forgot your name, we met at a Italian / pizza place you worked near Corbins Corner,  IM  me if you are still around).  It has a postban fixed CAR stock.  My question is does the 9MM use a special buffer / spring?  My plans are to replace the "fake" CAR stock with a A1 buffer / stock assy.  I Emailed ASA with this question a week back, and haven't got a reply.  

Thank you in advance

OSA
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#1]
A1/A2 tube will use plain old A1/A2 rifle buffer and rifle spring..
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#2]
This is wrong.
Quoted:

A1/A2 tube will use plain old A1/A2 rifle buffer and rifle spring..

Note that the buffer in a 9mm is usually twice as heavy as a normal CAR buffer.  In other words, your buffer is special in your fake CAR stock.  The spring in your CAR stock is a regular carbine buffer spring.
To use an A1 or A2 buffer tube with your 9mm buffer and carbine buffer spring, you will need to buy a spacer that slides down into the A1/A2 tube first.
This is an example spacer
http://www.riflegear.com/p-398-rra-9mm-stock-spacer.aspx
 Get your A1/A2 tube on with stock, put spacer in, then put in your old 9mm buffer and carbine spring.

An argument can be made that a regular rifle buffer and rifle buffer spring should work.  However, a heavier buffer (i.e. 9mm) is better for dwell time and keeping gas out of your face.  Further, it is cheaper to only get a spacer as opposed to a rifle buffer spring and a rifle buffer that "should" work.

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#3]
astrafire,

Is it safe to assume, that I could buy a M4 6pos stock, and install it with my buffer and spring........everything should work??

Thank you for the info.

OSA
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#4]
This is correct.  

Quoted:

Is it safe to assume, that I could buy a M4 6pos stock, and install it with my buffer and spring........everything should work??

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top