Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2012 12:43:13 AM EDT
I recently built my first and only 5.56 AR and it was a great experience. Id love to build a .22 upper if I can do it rather cheaply so I have a few questions.
First, what differences are there between a 5.56 upper and .22? Like for buying parts would I buy a conversion kit + .22 barrel and the rest would be the same?
Any recommended barrels or bcgs?
And will it work fine with a standard rifle buffer (I have the PSA MOE kit)?

Im familiar with how to build a 5.56 upper I just dont know how different a .22 is. Is it the exact same just slide in a different BCG and barrel?

and can a .223/5.56 flash hider be used? Id like to build a .22 replica of my 5.56 and im not sure if there is a .22 version of my flash hider
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:17:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I recently built my first and only 5.56 AR and it was a great experience. Id love to build a .22 upper if I can do it rather cheaply so I have a few questions.
First, what differences are there between a 5.56 upper and .22? The barrel, bcg, and no gas system.
Like for buying parts would I buy a conversion kit + .22 barrel and the rest would be the same? I would recommend a dedicated bolt carrier group versus a conversion type, but to answer the question yes the rest would be the same besides the bcg and barrel. You would not need a gas tube or gas block, just a front sight tower if you want one.
Any recommended barrels or bcgs? I recommend Spike's or CMMG. Spike's CMMG
And will it work fine with a standard rifle buffer (I have the PSA MOE kit)? Yes.

Im familiar with how to build a 5.56 upper I just dont know how different a .22 is. Is it the exact same just slide in a different BCG and barrel? Yes.

and can a .223/5.56 flash hider be used? Id like to build a .22 replica of my 5.56 and im not sure if there is a .22 version of my flash hider Yes, you can use a .223/5.56 flash hider.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:30:19 AM EDT
[#2]
See this page of the thread through the end. I started building building and shooting 22 uppers from this point on.
You'll get some ideas of what can be done. The builds are scattered throughout the thread and the write ups should
answer all of your questions,

Dave S

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_15/441890_22_Conversions___Dedicated_22_s__22_Builds___Range_Reports__Ammo__Tips__Tricks__Insight_and_More_.html&page=3
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:59:53 AM EDT
[#3]
We don't know what your current AR looks like so we can't say. But, why not go over to the CMMG website and look at what is offered. If you are starting from scratch you may find it is more cost effective to just buy one of their dedicated uppers that is already done. You can change the hand guard if need be to match your other rifle.

But, do the math. Price out each part separately. You are going to have to buy a lot of parts starting from nothing. I have done it both ways and sometimes its cheaper to just get the package if there is something close to what you want.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top