Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/15/2012 7:52:27 PM EDT
I wanted to build a dedicated 22 Long Rifle AR for some time.  Sure, I could have bought a conversion bolt, but I wanted an actual .22 caliber barrel with the correct twist rate, not a .223 barrel with a super fast twist rate.  I also wanted it to look like a "stock" rifle.  I'm not much into all the whistle and bells.  I wanted the receiver marked 22LR, not MULTI.  It might just be me, but I didn't want some uninformed cop thinking this is capable of shooting .223 or 5.56 since there is no bullet button on it (California thing).  Along those lines is why I did not use the standard front push pin, but instead used a KNS screw type pin.

The upper is a Tactical Solutions M4 22LR upper.  I removed the A3 upper receiver and replaced it with an A2 receiver.  I wanted adjustable sights...  The lower is a Tactical Machining pre-anodized 80% that I milled myself.  DPMS lower parts kit.  The markings are from Ident Marking Services (they do great work).  

MagPul MOE+ grip.  The MOE+ is the rubberized version.  A Visine eye drop bottle fits perfectly inside.  I have CLP in it.  The 22LR bolt like to be well lubed.

Stock is a Calvary Arms A1 size stock.  Note there is no buffer or spring in there.  Its not needed on a 22LR.

Let me know what you think.

-Steve

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/4151/img2943bi.jpg

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8344/img2961m.jpg

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8986/img2949wi.jpg

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/4170/img2958ud.jpg

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6362/img2962lr.jpg
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 3:20:06 AM EDT
[#1]
It looks like your rifle turned out excellent!!  How does she shoot?  Looks like a lot of fun
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 4:42:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Great idea changing for an A2 Receiver. I made up a CMMG 20" HBar that way. Used a Colt Receiver that I bought at
the last gun show I went to. Congrats on making the the lower too. Way Cool having Serial # 1 and Tactical Solutions.
TS M4 is one of the few I've tested at 100 yards. It'll be a great runner. I haven't found the need for a lot of lube, just a bit
at the right points. TS Bolt is a work of art.

Dave S
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 4:55:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a fun little project you have. Let us know how the shooting goes..  I do not know about your particuliar setup but too much wet lube in most .22 rimfires can cause problems. Maybe your likes alot of wetlube but ours does not.  Wetlube just catches all the dirt and grit and causes gunk buildup very quickly from the dirty rimfire ammo,which in turn can cause malfunctions very quickly..If yours can run alot of wetlube that is great however...Buffers are optional for most but a few have had to use them for proper function. Our CMMG dedicated will run with or without one but we leave one in there anyway,especially since my Son uses it as a multi use lower,its just convenient to leave it there in our case. Nice job and have fun...Thanks
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 5:05:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Very nice!  I did something similar with a commercial lower on my dedicated rimfire AR by having it custom caliber marked for .22LR - I once had a hassle with a fish cop not liking my conversion kit in a rimfire only area because the lower said 5.56.

Most rimfire BCGs use the buffer and spring to help keep things located and tight.  Is yours different?
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 7:43:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Very nice, like you, I'm not into the "tacticool" BS that adorns a lot of AR platforms - but to each his own. I'll be interest on you posting about how it shoots - congratulations.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 7:52:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I wanted to build a dedicated 22 Long Rifle AR for some time.  Sure, I could have bought a conversion bolt, but I wanted an actual .22 caliber barrel with the correct twist rate, not a .223 barrel with a super fast twist rate.  I also wanted it to look like a "stock" rifle.  I'm not much into all the whistle and bells.  I wanted the receiver marked 22LR, not MULTI.  It might just be me, but I didn't want some uninformed cop thinking this is capable of shooting .223 or 5.56 since there is no bullet button on it (California thing).  Along those lines is why I did not use the standard front push pin, but instead used a KNS screw type pin.

The upper is a Tactical Solutions M4 22LR upper.  I removed the A3 upper receiver and replaced it with an A2 receiver.  I wanted adjustable sights...  The lower is a Tactical Machining pre-anodized 80% that I milled myself.  DPMS lower parts kit.  The markings are from Ident Marking Services (they do great work).  

MagPul MOE+ grip.  The MOE+ is the rubberized version.  A Visine eye drop bottle fits perfectly inside.  I have CLP in it.  The 22LR bolt like to be well lubed.

Stock is a Calvary Arms A1 size stock.  Note there is no buffer or spring in there.  Its not needed on a 22LR.

-Steve

Very nice build. Thanks for sharing.

I have a number of .22 dedicated uppers - one favorite is a KKF upper built on a slick side 604 receiver.  Usually wears Cav Arms red furniture but for our RVN shoot I changed to retro triangle HGs and D stock and loaned it to a young shooter who wanted to shoot in honor of his VN vet grandfather.

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 8:49:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think it looks great.  One of the best I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it looks great.  One of the best I have ever seen.

I will second that endorsement

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#9]
In for the range report! Beautiful!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top