Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/18/2012 4:39:00 PM EDT
I just put a suppressor on my M&P 15-22.  The sound of the bullet is practically silent compared to the very loud PING / CLUNK sound transmitted through the receiver and stock right into my right ear.  

I noticed the buffer tube is hollow.  Anyone try to fill that with something to dampen the sound?
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Do not own a SW but I do not see where it would hurt to put something in there.What I would put in there is some of that water pipe insulation foam.It comes in differant diameters..Sure would not hurt to try it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#2]
That's "the sound of freedom"!  

You hear it that loudly because your hearingrotection/ear is basically resting on the stock.  It is harmless.

Actually, the action spring sound is useful, because it will tell you when the bolt locks back.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#3]
There is no way to stop that sound, I wonder if you know how the

rifle actually functions.

Link Posted: 3/19/2012 9:12:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I wonder if you know how the
rifle actually functions.

Um, yes.  Do you?  The buffer tube is hollow and open on the back.  No spring inside like a real AR.  Going to try and fill it with something to deaden the sound.
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Just stuff a rag or old T shirt in it as that should be enough, no need to spend money if this works.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I filled mine with about 50 rounds of .22LR.  I haven't shot it since so I don't know if it deadens the sound or not
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top