Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/15/2011 5:42:19 PM EDT
When firing this setup at 25 feet I get a group that looks more like a shotgun pattern at 25 yards.  Is this normal for this setup?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd say yes, when shooting typical 38- or 40-grain bulk pack out of the 1/9 barrel. I can manage 3-4" groups at 25 yards. WIth the same rifle shooting .223, it's 1" or smaller groups.

1/7 barrels are even worse. If you want more accuracy, either get some Aguila 60-grain SSS ammo, or get an A1 1/12 barrel (or both).
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I would try some other ammo. I know in mine there was a pretty good variation in groups at 25 yards depending on what I fed her. The Wally World Federal bulk ammo works in all my rifles but does the "shot gun" groups. It does it in my conversions but also in a Ruger 10/22. If I use CCI Standard Velocity everything changes...for the better. Hard to believe how much difference it makes. Give it a shot.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:24:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I would try some other ammo. I know in mine there was a pretty good variation in groups at 25 yards depending on what I fed her. The Wally World Federal bulk ammo works in all my rifles but does the "shot gun" groups. It does it in my conversions but also in a Ruger 10/22. If I use CCI Standard Velocity everything changes...for the better. Hard to believe how much difference it makes. Give it a shot.

I was shooting some ammo that came in a white box, name Wildcat.  I've had this ammo for quite some time.  I think it is standard 40 grain hi velocity ammo.  I do have some CCI standard velocity, I will give that a try.  I don't think I have any of the heavier stuff but will check at my gubn store to see if they have it.  If so will give that a try also.

Thanks for the replies.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top