Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/26/2010 5:06:47 PM EDT
I don't want to go through the hassle of an SBR, next best option is a 14.5 with perma flash, right? so why does noone offer this?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I don't want to go through the hassle of an SBR, next best option is a 14.5 with perma flash, right? so why does noone offer this?

I suppose because most would just rather SBR the rifle?
You can get a 16" and have it cut and pinned.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

there would be no adverse affect to just having a 16" barrel cut down for purpose?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

there would be no adverse affect to just having a 16" barrel cut down for purpose?

None that I could think of.  Drop a line to ADCO in the industry forums.  They do this stuff all the time.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#4]
appreciate the reply..def something to think about I guess

just wish they made them in 14.5 like they do for 223/556
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:43:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Adco is also a Rock River Arms dealer.  If you buy it from Adco, they may cut you a deal on the modification work.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:57:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I picked up a 14.5 9mm upper from spikes a couple of years agio because i didn't want to SBR anything. I have no complaints what so ever.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:04:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Just find a ban model with no FH.  Cheaper and simpler, with none of the downsides.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:32:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Adco is also a Rock River Arms dealer.  If you buy it from Adco, they may cut you a deal on the modification work.

This is exactly what I did.  I also did the midlength.  That brought the fsb out and minimized the barrel.  Gave it a SBRish look.
Also used a phoenix flash hider which is a little longer than standard.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't imagine so.  There's no gas system to be tweaked to the new barrel length.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 3:20:33 PM EDT
[#11]
You could also get it cut to 14.7", so you could use a standard length FH.  Lots of options either way...
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You could also get it cut to 14.7", so you could use a standard length FH.  Lots of options either way...

+1 this makes the most sense.

Bill
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is exactly what I did.  I also did the midlength.  That brought the fsb out and minimized the barrel.  Gave it a SBRish look.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/rjszurgot/DSC00745.jpg

awesome..what mags are those btw..i'll def try shooting them an emal
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I picked up a 14.5 9mm upper from spikes a couple of years agio because i didn't want to SBR anything. I have no complaints what so ever.

thats where I wanted to get one from, but they dont offer it anymore???
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:03:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/rjszurgot/DSC00745.jpg

awesome..what mags are those btw..i'll def try shooting them an emal

That is a promag and would NOT recommend them.  Stick with colt or cproducts.
The only good that promag was being cheap and me not worry about painting it.  
Didnt function worth a shit.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:37:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

think what he means is have it cut to this length, thread it 1/2 28 and then you can take and use any standard 223 muzzle device to make length as long as you open up the inside of the 223 muzzle device first to allow a 9mm projectile to pass through..... because we all know that if that little part was not done you would have a nasty kaboom at the end of the barrel.

You mean you can't shoot the whole bigger?  
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I liive in a "No SBRs alllowed" state and have a 16" 9 mm barrel with a plain thread protector.  With a barrel that long, for 9 mm ammo (and .22 ammo for that matter) there's no need for a flash hider.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Not legal advice, MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#19]

rra midlength barrel from adco sent to tacticalturtle for cut and pin and debayo. So I can take to NY if i want.  

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top