Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/13/2010 2:50:29 PM EDT
Big Brown showed up today with my new M4 LE.
It looks identical to my M4 5.56.
This one has the ceramic finish. After wiping it down, the finish has a nice, even look to it. Pics do not do it justice
I opened the upper, pulled the charging handle and noticed the bolt/carrier took an extra tug to get out. I thought it was just a tight unit. When I pulled it and inspected the B/C I see CMMG is using a spring detent pin on the barrel collar and a groove one the barrel itself to keep the B/C from moving. Great Job.
That has been an issue with other dedicated uppers. If the B/C  can move it will cause feeding problems.
I ran 2 mags suppressed in my basement for a function check.
It went through both mags without a hitch.
The gas deflector is also a nice touch. No more smack in the face from gas/powder.
The trigger is better than most I've tried from the factory. It's not a match trigger by any means but not bad.
I'll use the set screw mod on it and clean it up before heading to the range.
I am very happy with it. I'll follow up after my range trip.
Here it is as it came.
I added the Carry Handle

Link Posted: 8/13/2010 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks nice, looking forward to the range report!
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 5:02:55 AM EDT
[#2]
shadowcop: Congrats, that's the rifle that sells for $550.00? Cool.
I agree about the base finish, it's nice. I've only got the upper but
it's holding up as well as anodize. Great that you have a range in
your basement.

It appears to me that the collar and detent works very well to keep
the bolt in the same position from start to finish. No movement from
one shot to the next. It makes for improved accuracy. I've noticed
that in the shooting I've done with it.

I know that you probably don't have the peripheral parts as they're
still in final refinement and testing but I have several of them.
The new charging handle does a good job of stopping rounds from
being caught between the charging handle and the bolt. I've had one
in 1500 cases get caught. I don't know that this can be eliminated
completely. The BHO I have is working better and better as the mag
spring takes a set. It has to be pretty strong to insure the BHO
operates properly. The forward assist and the live round extraction
are nice features too. Once confidence is high CMMG will release
all of this. Even if customers feel "Put Off" by not being able to get
this stuff yet. It'll be worth the wait to get them when they are 100%.
Ya gotta respect CMMG for that philosophy....

It'll be interesting to compare our range results..

The other Dave
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 5:55:11 AM EDT
[#3]
The Brown truck delivered a M4 LE upper to me a couple days ago and was impressed  I also agree that the base finish looks real durable and is very nice, I did get the upgrade Stainless steel bolt though.

I took it out for a quick function test just before a storm hit and ran a little over 200 rounds of Winchester 555 through in about 40 minutes and was getting  2"-3" 15 round groups @ 25 yds and I was rushing and only had one mag which I had to keep reloading which was kind of hard on my fingers.

The upper functioned 100% and the only malfunction I had was ammo related (one dud) which allowed me to test out the live round extraction which worked flawlessly
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 6:55:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I also got the stainless upgrade. I dressed the FCG last night. The trigger had a few machine marks on it that I smoothed lightly and polished.
I also tapped the receiver and put a set screw in to get rid of some creep in the trigger.
Boresighted my 4X scope so I'll be ready to go.
No problems mounting and shooting my TAC65. No baffle strikes, so the threads are right.

Spec-$550 for the complete rifle is correct. $30 for the upgraded stainless conversion, which I would recommend.
I paid $550 for the other .22 dedicated upper itself. It did have a YHM lite hand guard on it.
With this set up, I have a functioning 5.56 lower for another upper.

I'm going to run different ammo through it including some Fed Bulk, Winchester 555, and some Rem Subs.

The rifle is real sweet with the can on it.

I'll definetly be adding the BHO when it comes available.

Kids soccer jamboree today so it may be Monday before I can get to the range.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I had stuff that had to be done today too. I'm hoping to get to the range
tomorrow and I'll try some different ammo than what you're going to run.
Sounds like we're set up almost the same except I have no can.

I'll try some grouping @ 25 yards. See how much difference the bolt
system makes against other 22's I've fired. I believe it will help.

Link Posted: 8/14/2010 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Impressive, especially for the price.  I don't need another .22, but damn that is hard to resist.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#7]
RLR350- I agree, it's hard to resist.
Spec, I'll shoot groups with and without the can.
The more I look at the workmanship on this rifle, the more impressed I am.
$550 is a steal for this.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#8]
The model shadowcop and I are shooting is the bottom of the basement model.
It's meant to compete with the base models of several other companies. So far
it's doing a good job of just that. As the Evolution Accessories are perfected and
then with the additions of various other options, you'll be able to custom tailor
a rifle that will give you very acceptable plinking accuracy or a full blown bench rest
target AR-22. The basic upper is very inexpensive, The complete match type rifle
could be considerably more, depending on the options a person chooses.

I just preped everything to go tomorrow. I'll post back some results. Haven't decided on ammo to shoot yet.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Spec- I don't have any Wolf or Aguilla. If you do, try that.
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 4:46:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Wolf MT, I can do. Only Aguila I have is SSS and it doesn't do great from a 1:16" twist
60 grains too heavy....
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 7:34:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got some Green Tag I'll try some groups with.
I like to see what rifles will do with ammo most are willing to shoot.
If I'm going to pay high dollar for .22 match ammo, I'd just as soon shoot .223
I am going to have to find some Wolf match. Can't find it here.
I'm really curious to see what subs will do with a can on this.
Even with the can, it is a well balanced light rifle.
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I have some work to do before I put anything up about my range trip.
Had a number of Federal Rounds that didn't go bang. I was using it
prior to shooting any good ammo just to get warmed up. I had Wolf
MT, Federal Lightning, Fiocchi Super Match and Eley Match.
Dave
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 3:43:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had a hell of a time with ammo this year. Fed Bulk, well you already know, ferochii, WWB, UMC. I've had problems with everything except premium ammo and in .22, Winchester 555.
Now I can't find the Win 555 bulk.
I'm going to stop saying what works well for me until I can get stocked up
Just kidding.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Every time I see Winchester 555's I buy it. Federal's been a bummer for a while. It's available.
I can get most of the ammo's out there but sometimes, I'm just not willing to pay the price.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#15]
As you can see in the Range thread, Federal is still hit and miss. While I was shooting, I hear, bang, bang, pop, bang, pop. No way you can get any consistency like that.
I didn't expect the Rems to run. I had my first string of 10 rounds fire just fine. Very, very quiet with a can. Second round wouldn't chamber. The nose of the bullet would mash against the top of the chamber. The bullet looks to be slightly longer than the other rounds.
I had a blast shooting this .22. Nothing more fun than a reliable, accurate .22. Great value.
I want to drop a 2 stage trigger in it to see if I can tighten the groups up even more, and move to 50 yards.
Dave
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 4:46:57 AM EDT
[#16]
So this .22 is not plastic at all anywhere then?  I was looking at maybe buying an M&P 15-22, but those are 400+, so if this is 550, I'd rather spring for something that isn't totally plastic.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 5:43:47 AM EDT
[#17]
The rifle itself is all metal except, if you get the Anti Jam Charging Handle (Very Tough Plastic) and of course the handguard.
The BHO Device and the Forward Assist that will be available, if you can get them, will be that same tough plastic. The moving
parts of the BHO are metal. The lower is actually an AR-15 Lower and can be used as such.

Spec
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 5:46:28 AM EDT
[#18]
It's milspec, as SpecOps says. Kind of knocks the Colt in the dirt, huh?
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Colt and Smith and Wesson, I believe.

Spec
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I believe so too the more I think about it.  

I mean if the lower is a standard lower you could use it for other things as well.  All metal, more realistic weight wise.  I was looking at the S&W for training purposes, but with the price point of this and it's all metal construction I may be swayed on my purchase now.  There's a gun show coming up so I may have something to search for now!!
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I  ran my 16" upper on the CMMG lower today and everything checked out just fine.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 6:48:37 AM EDT
[#22]
The .223 / 5.56 mm lower I'm using with the Sierra Upper is one that I've had for years but I'd bet if we put shadowcop's
and mine side by side it would be hard to tell them apart. If not impossible.

Spec
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 8:31:41 AM EDT
[#23]
I have the Ceramic coating and I have to say it looks nice. Very even and good, dark color.
John said he was suprised that more Ceramic coated rifles were being ordered than the anodized.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 9:27:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I got the Quebec A rifle (sans carry handle and A4 front sight) a couple of weeks ago at $549 and opted for the stainless bolt upgrade ($30), and the upper and lower anodize ($25).  S&H brought it to $611.  Then I ordered the new CMMG bronze bushing 2-stage trigger for $135 and put it in (excellent).  Love this gun!  I own both the Colt M4gery and the S&W MP15-22 and the CMMG wins hands down.  I had considered the Spikes and TacSol versions, but when I saw the CMMG Quebec rifle at that price, I jumped.  Glad I did.  I've got pre-orders in for the BHOA and anti-jam charger, and the BHO followers for the mag.

I've only shot Fed 550 bulk so far, but no issues.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Post up some range results! Congrats on the rifle. There will be a lot of up grades coming soon looks like.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Good to hear it first hand that CMMG kicks butt on the Colt and Smith.
You also have a lower that will work with any AR-15 Upper too.

Spec
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 3:07:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I've been looking locally and no one seems to be able to get the complete rifle or upper.  They are out everywhere I guess.  Must be a popular item lol

ETA:    HEY CMMG!  I have been in search of one of your .22 complete rifles.  No one locally has it and say they cannot get it either anywhere. Can I order a complete rifle from you guys??
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Simple answer, Yes,,,, but it may go on back order depending on where CMMG
is in stock vs orders. Shipped to your FFL if you order a complete rifle...

Good Luck,
Dave
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#30]
EXCEEEEEENNNNNNTTTTTTTTT!
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#31]
There you go. Post your range results.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#32]
TxSoldier should have this soon. It's Tuesday.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#33]
I wanted to add something about this rifle. I got the ceramic coated instead of the anodized.  I know some guys were concerned with how it would look and hold up.

The finish is smooth and even. I've been using declorinated carburator cleaner to remove the gunk on the inside, so naturally it gets on the outside of the receiver. The coating looks just like it did when I received it. Nothing has worn off or been removed by the cleaner. I just wipe it down with CLP like I would any other firearm. It looks great.
Dave
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#34]
I am going to order a upper ,but need to know why I would need to spend extra on the stainless bolt and collar? Just for ease of cleaning?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Cleaning, slicker=no break in, smoother running, very little lube needed which again means less cleaning.
I personally have not had experience with the CMMG Parkerized version.
I did have a parked Ceiner. It ran fine so long as it was wet. But the lube attracted a lot of gunk. That resulted in less run time between cleanings.

As I said, I don't have experience with the parkerized version, but I do with a couple of the stainless. I'm sure the parkerized would run fine after break in. But I do know how the stainless has run. 0 malfunctions with over 3100 rounds through.(1 failure to reset the trigger due to a bad round)(Remington Subs gum up the ramp quickly)
Plus, I like stainless
Dave
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for the info. I'll def get the stainless bolt. the collar maybe some time later.
THANKS
Terry
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Hey Shadowcop can ya post some detailed pics of the bolt face.Looks like that CMMG is sorta like the TAC Sol bolt but that
face end looks differant side view i would like to see what it looks like.Thanks...looks like a great rifle man!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#38]
This what you want to see?

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#39]
dbl
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#40]

Yes Sir thank you very much...very nice...ah huh.I like that CMMG did good.I have a freind wanting a AR22 we will have to price shop Tac Sol to CMMG now.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top