Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/5/2009 3:25:02 PM EDT
How does M1s measure their barrel? If it's the 11/2" that goes in the upper that's 6" forward from the receiver, with a front sight, that wouldn't leave room for a ff tube. On my 2 9mm the mini ff tube butts right up to the front sight
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm fairly certain the measure from the breechface. 16" has the external length very similar the 14".223.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Every barrel maker pretty much measures their barrels the same way.  Depending on the caliber, you can end up with a different OAL of the assembled upper - a 16" .22LR barrel sits further into an upper than a 16" .223 barrel does, so the OAL of a complete upper can vary.

Here's a 7.5" M1S barrel inside a carbine length YHM tube.  Without the Spikes fake can/shroud, the barrel doesn't really make it out the end of the handguard.  With the fake can, it sticks out liek an 1/8th of an inch.

If you want a 7.5" barrel with a front sight post, you eill probably want to go with a YHM 4" mini tube.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The 4.1 YHM mini is what I have on my 9mms and they butt right up to the front sight. If I lose 1 1/2 inch in the receiver which is what the dedicated 22 barrels do I don't see how a mini tube would fit? Am I missing something?? I have been known to step on snakes
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top