Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/31/2009 3:48:57 PM EDT
Is there such a thing? If so who makes it?
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Some one could probably whip up mag blocks, but the grease gun mags hold 30, and are extremely reliable.  Unfortunately, they will only fit Cav Arms or other receivers that are wider than normal.

To me, it would be frustrating to shoot my CavOly 7 rounds at a time.  That is what Gov't models are for.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, never heard of that one. Why would you want to limit the magazine to 7 or 8 rounds anyway? I figure you are probably wanting cheap, readily available ones while everyone else wants mucho capacity and willing to pay for it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replys!  I already have several 1911 mags is why I was thinking about it but I can see your point for sure. 7-8 rounds at a time would be a major pain in an AR. How much are the grease gun mags?

Thanks again
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#4]
You can also use .45ACP JHP (shorter then FMJ) in 9mm Sten magazines, which will fit regular AR receivers, but you only get 15-16.

Greasegun mags are around $20 depending on condition.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a Marlin Camp Carbine in .45; that takes the 1911 mag.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I made a test magwell block that uses 1911 mags. Two issues. The angle of the mag needed to feed properly makes the front of the mag touch the top front of the magwell and the back of the mag touches the back bottom of the magwell. This requires the magwell block to be two pieces. Pain int he ass to mount in the lower.

Second issue is designing a mag catch. Mag is so thin, any catch with need to be very long in order to reach the mag and mag catch slots have o be cut in the mag. Even the Oly Glock lower style mag catch that use the exsisting mag catch slots on the mag would need to very long to reach the thin mag.

A double stack mag like a Para Ordnance mag might be easier to work with.

I've tried it and so far it doesn't work.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Para ordnance mag will fit the lower.  I've been kicking this idea around for a little while.  The blocks should be pretty easy to make.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Or you could get on  of these.

http://www.firearmsystems.net/index.html
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I CCW a 1911, and it'd be nice to have a carbine that uses the same ammo and mags for an everyday travel around truck gun. Does the 45 AR need a buffer assembly and tube, or would it allow a stock that folds with a hinge point right behind the receiver end plate, i.e. this one? Nevermind...I did some reading....

Originally Posted By Hail Mary:

Get a Marlin Camp Carbine in .45; that takes the 1911 mag.

1) They aren't made anymore.

2) They can cost as much as an AR build, when you find a used one.
Quoted:

I made a test magwell block that uses 1911 mags. Two issues. The angle of the mag needed to feed properly makes the front of the mag touch the top front of the magwell and the back of the mag touches the back bottom of the magwell. This requires the magwell block to be two pieces. Pain int he ass to mount in the lower.

Second issue is designing a mag catch. Mag is so thin, any catch with need to be very long in order to reach the mag and mag catch slots have o be cut in the mag. Even the Oly Glock lower style mag catch that use the exsisting mag catch slots on the mag would need to very long to reach the thin mag.

I just looked at that by laying a Wilson 10 rd mag, so that the top of the follower was parallel to the bore's axis, and then laying another 10 rd mag in the mag well. I'm not sure we'd be able to get a proper feed angle, because I wasn't able to get the 2nd one to be visually parallel to the first one.

FWIW, even something as short as an 6 round OACP mag will extend out of the magwell about an inch.

If I was wrong about that, I'd consider putting a longer mag catch lever so that it runs parallel to the 1911 mag's body, could use the existing mag catch hole, and with a mag release paddle being the tail of the lever along the right side of the end of the mag (Think of something operating like a M-14 or L1A1 mag release, turned 90o to the bore axis). I guess that cutting a second mag catch hole wouldn't be unreasonable.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been interested in the 45acp ar for quite sometime now and have followed it closely and being a fabricator/machinist I figured I would try putting some parts together. I noticed that a 1911 10rd mag fits nicely into a steel 30rd ar mag. My only problem had been at the time I couldn't find a barrel and no one had worked out the gas system or would sell me a barrel to try this out so I kind of got frustrated and dropped the whole idea. Now since it seems as if it sounds like the gas system has been worked out if I could purchase this barrel and gas tube setup I could get back to these parts I have laying around for this project.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#11]
It would seem almost easier to mortise a camp carbine [great little gun] into an arch-angle 10/22 stock kit...

I had a camp carbine and I had put the mag kit to take PO hi-cap mags.... but that gun is long gone now and I don't even remember who makes the kit anymore...
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Posted by GunnyG;
I just looked at that by laying a Wilson 10 rd mag, so that the top of the follower was parallel to the bore's axis, and then laying another 10 rd mag in the mag well. I'm not sure we'd be able to get a proper feed angle, because I wasn't able to get the 2nd one to be visually parallel to the first one.

FWIW, even something as short as an 6 round OACP mag will extend out of the magwell about an inch.

If I was wrong about that, I'd consider putting a longer mag catch lever so that it runs parallel to the 1911 mag's body, could use the existing mag catch hole, and with a mag release paddle being the tail of the lever along the right side of the end of the mag (Think of something operating like a M-14 or L1A1 mag release, turned 90o to the bore axis). I guess that cutting a second mag catch hole wouldn't be unreasonable.

It is pretty close if you remove the trigger guard. Gives the back of the mag another 1/8" or so of angle tilt. I hand cycled my set up with an Oly upper and it did feed the round ok. Probably worked because the Oly barrel extension is one large feed ramp.

Because of the thin 1911 mag, I still think the mag catch is going to be difficult or very funky.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It would seem almost easier to mortise a camp carbine [great little gun] into an arch-angle 10/22 stock kit...

I had a camp carbine and I had put the mag kit to take PO hi-cap mags.... but that gun is long gone now and I don't even remember who makes the kit anymore...

If Tactical Solutions and others can make their own 10/22 receivers, when will someone get to reproduce the Camp Carbine?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:01:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Unlikely.
10/22 have been in production for what? 50 years?
The Camp Carbine was never commercially successful. Anybody making a new receiver would never make their investment back.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:25:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Posted by frog 2512;
The Camp Carbine was never commercially successful. Anybody making a new receiver would never make their investment back.

They would if they made the receiver to take a high capacity .45 mag. Glock to start with and maybe a grease gun mag version as well.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#16]
If you want a .45 carbine that uses 1911 mags, why not just get a Mech Tech conversion unit?

Mech Tech CCU
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I CCW a 1911, and it'd be nice to have a carbine that uses the same ammo and mags for an everyday travel around truck gun. [span style='TEXT-DECORATION: line-through']

Why. You would be relying on a low cap long gun in a pistol caliber. You would be far better off with a good AR in .223 with a 30 round mag. More stopping power by far, more rounds more range.  Sorry but your truck gun idea is not a good one.
Pat
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:04:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I CCW a 1911, and it'd be nice to have a carbine that uses the same ammo and mags for an everyday travel around truck gun. [span style='TEXT-DECORATION: line-through']

Why. You would be relying on a low cap long gun in a pistol caliber. You would be far better off with a good AR in .223 with a 30 round mag. More stopping power by far, more rounds more range. Sorry but your truck gun idea is not a good one.

Pat

Been there, got a few of those actually... which is why I didn't buy that last .45 camp carbine I saw...
well that, and the $675 price tag.

I can even find other caliber carbines to use... I'm just entertaining the idea. There's nothing wrong with that, is there?

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:54:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Posted by GunnyG;
Why. You would be relying on a low cap long gun in a pistol caliber. You would be far better off with a good AR in .223 with a 30 round mag. More stopping power by far, more rounds more range. Sorry but your truck gun idea is not a good one.
Pat

Maybe the shooter can change to a Glock .45 and get a MGI glock lower .45 carbine. Solves the mag capacity problem and the carbine will extend the .45 range out to 100 meters. Especially with .45 Super rounds. Not a bad plan, just has limitations.

I haven't seen any 1911 with more than 15 rounds.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:19:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Posted by GunnyG;
Pat

Maybe the shooter can change to a Glock .45 and get a MGI glock lower .45 carbine. Solves the mag capacity problem and the carbine will extend the .45 range out to 100 meters. Especially with .45 Super rounds. Not a bad plan, just has limitations.

Pistol caliber carbines suck in real  world situations. Rifle caliber carbines are always a better choice. Now if you want a training aid or a indoor range carbine then go with a  pistol caliber one. But for real uses like a truck gun get a real rifle not a pistol caliber pop gun.
Pat
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:13:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Posted by GunnyG;

Pat

Pistol caliber carbines suck in real world situations. Rifle caliber carbines are always a better choice. Now if you want a training aid or a indoor range carbine then go with a pistol caliber one. But for real uses like a truck gun get a real rifle not a pistol caliber pop gun.

Pat

For training/plinking at indoor ranges, either get a .22LR conversion or a dedicated .22LR upper.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#22]
The above post is right on. The only thing I really use my RRA 9mm for anywmore is the rare indoor IDPA or USPSA carbine side match.
Pat
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top