Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2009 10:41:27 AM EDT
I have a Spikes .22 conversion in a DPMS upper, everything works fine except all the rounds are buldging at the bottom. Why is it doing this and how do I stop it. The one time the whole bottom of the case blew out and the bullet didnt even make it out of the barrel had to use a cleaning rod to push it out any info would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#2]
A little bulge at the ramp is so common it must be considered normal.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Is this Federal Bulk or what ammo is it? I tend to agree with Tom. I look at a sampling of the brass that I've fired (60,000 + in this type of conversions)  and never noticed any bulging and haven't had a Blow Out ever. I want to stay away from the ammo you have.
Good Luck and Thanx,
SO-13
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I looked to make sure the rounds were all the way in and the bolt was totally seated and they were. It was the Remington gold tip bulk ammo but i'll try some different stuff and see what happens. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I tried some winchester today and federal, its still doing it but not nearly as bad so ill just stick with that. When I get a chance I'll play with some other stuff
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Clean the lead build up out of the conversion units throat.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#8]
it was clean and lubed, the unit was brand new it was the first time I took it out. I would just  like to know what causes that. Other then that it runs great
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
it was clean and lubed, the unit was brand new it was the first time I took it out. I would just  like to know what causes that. Other then that it runs great

It's either not closing all the way or it's cut to "small" and making the pressure jump. How is the accuracy?

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#10]
accuracy is great, its had a couple failure to extract but im not sweating that I have other conversion kits there not perfect, i just never had a case blow like that.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Then it's not closing all the way.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 5:36:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Remington is the worst stuff on the market. Try some federal.

I love Remington's standard velocity target, but their loss-leader ammo has been terrible for at least 30 years.

I learned my lesson with:  

Link Posted: 7/24/2009 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a Spikes .22 conversion in a DPMS upper, everything works fine except all the rounds are buldging at the bottom. Why is it doing this and how do I stop it. The one time the whole bottom of the case blew out and the bullet didnt even make it out of the barrel had to use a cleaning rod to push it out any info would be appreciated.

Mine is doing the same thing. Less than 200 rounds through it. Cleaned and lightly lubed it, same thing. Wolf, SK, Federal ammo. The only ones that don't are Winchester HV 37 grn. The Win 40 grain do it too, but very slight. Remington won't even go in the chamber. I'm wondering if mine just happens to be tight???

Edit: I also had a Wolf cartridge separate just behind the case mouth and lodge a bullet in the bore.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 10:35:17 PM EDT
[#14]
maybe if we polish the chamber, I read some where in here if you use a .22 brass bore brush in a drill and some oil and run it in the chamber. I was going to try it tommorow. I dont think it will hurt as long as you dont go crazy with it!
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 4:51:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
maybe if we polish the chamber, I read some where in here if you use a .22 brass bore brush in a drill and some oil and run it in the chamber. I was going to try it tommorow. I dont think it will hurt as long as you dont go crazy with it!

That's the direction I'm headed next, unless I come across a better idea. Funny thing is, all of the brands except Rem chamber easily, some litterally fall into the chamber. Why the bulging and all of the associated extraction problems really has me puzzled. I've read the tuning pages and haven't seen much on these problems, but maybe I missed 'em. Bolt appears to be closing completely. My hair topped computer is still working on the problem for now.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#16]
OK, I polished the chamber and it really helped with the bulging. It appears it wasn't chamber as well as I thought. Was still getting some stovepipes but not as many. I trimmed a total of 4 coils off, and that improved to stovepipes with most of the ammo. It still doesn't like Wolf match though. Cleaned and lubed her again, and can even run SK at about 90%. Winchester, flawless, Rem, no way, SK HV flawless, SK standard about 90%, Wolf match about 80% ran out of Federal so will have to try a new batch when I can get some. I'm much happier now!!!! I'm planning on running a few hundred more rounds through it before I address it any further.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#17]
How did you polish the chamber with the bore brush and drill?
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 4:51:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I more or less followed the tips in the tuning section. I cut a q-tip in half and chucked it in a dremel tool, loaded it with rouge, and polished away in the chamber. Finished the very edges and feed ramp with a cratex tip. I tried to take pics, by my camera isn't good enough for close ups. I had a noticable ridge just inside of the chamber mouth on the extractor side prior to polishing. It appeared to be mostly carbon and was tough as hell and I was afraid to scrape hard on it for fear of scratching the chamber walls. The jewelers rouge took it out with some effort, being careful to not stay in one place during the polishing. I had to make up 4-5 q-tip polishing tips overall. Hope this helps
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How did you polish the chamber with the bore brush and drill?

Instructions here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=282&t=173040
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#20]
THANKS FOR THE INFO
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Something that works really well to polish chambers is Semi Chrome Polish. It'll make a chamber like a mirror in no time. It contains Jewelers Rouge and comes in a small tube. Auto Parts or Motorcycle Shop...It works great on ramps or anything else metal that needs some polishing.  
SO-13
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I went to that link that  boatbod listed followed the directions polished everything up, it worked like a charm went through like five full mags without a hitch. Thanks
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top