Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/30/2009 1:46:22 AM EDT
anybody know of anyone making a extractor that works during a manual cycle of the .22 ar15 platforms? I'm tired of trying to hold my bolt open and stick my fingernail under the rim of the case to manually extract one to make safe...

aftermarket? factory, that could be ordered special? anything? or should I just try and make my self one
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:24:27 AM EDT
[#1]
How about trying a stronger spring. I can push in on mine and it seems to hold tighter.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:02:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I attached a chamber mop to a cleaning rod and chucked it into a drill. I coated the mop with Fitz metal polish and buffed the chamber until it shined. Now I can tilt the muzzle up and the round will fall out on it's own. Of course, manually cycling the weapon will pull out a round as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#3]
hmmm, flitz bore mop... interesting... I just might have to try that...
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#4]
The leading cause of not being able to extract an unfired round is simply that the extractor slot in the barrel doesn't allow the extractor hook to get far enough behind the rim of the cartridge.  If you're feeling brave, you can modify it slightly, but be very careful not to penetrate the chamber wall.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
hmmm, flitz bore mop... interesting... I just might have to try that...

Chucking half a Q-tip in a Dremel seems to work pretty well too.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The leading cause of not being able to extract an unfired round is simply that the extractor slot in the barrel doesn't allow the extractor hook to get far enough behind the rim of the cartridge.  If you're feeling brave, you can modify it slightly, but be very careful not to penetrate the chamber wall.

This, but a less risky and easier modification is to the extractor. Remove the extractor and find the shiney spot on the inside just ahead of the lip that grabs the rim. File on this shiney spot so that the extractor sits deeper in the slot of the barrel. If you remove too much an extractor is cheaper and easier to replace than a chamber adapter. This has worked on my kit plus a 22 pistol.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks to all who posted a tip in this thread. After reading, I filed down the extractor and put a motorized Q-tip to work polishing inside my Ciener chamber adapter. It took both actions to get there, but now I can actually extract an unfired round using the AR charging handle, and that's a first here.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top