Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/28/2009 10:41:36 AM EDT
I recently picked up an old Colt .22 conversion kit for the AR15/M16.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to take apart the BCG to clean.

Does anyone know if there's a site that shows the disassembly procedure for this kit?

TIA
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I would just use a toothbrush and a lot of gun scrubber. Don't remember how the FP comes out, but it probably needs to happen occasionally.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 22 conversion from Brownells and the directions advise not to take apart..
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:45:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I recently picked up an old Colt .22 conversion kit for the AR15/M16.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to take apart the BCG to clean.

Does anyone know if there's a site that shows the disassembly procedure for this kit?

TIA

There are 2 long screws that are glued in with Loctite. Removing this bond will leave your conversion kit loose no matter how tight you try to tighten these screws.

The firing pin is held in with a roll pin and should not be removed.

Best bet is to use a toothbrush with solvent to remove most of the carbon from the action and chamber adapter. Using a good oil before shooting will help in the clean up process. It's easier to remove loose, oily debris than baked on carbon.

The chamber adapter is soft steel and can be cleaned with a brass wire brush dipped in solvent. You don't want to get too agressive here because you can damage the adapter and cause futher problems. Use just enough pressure to remove the fouling from the adapter. Also be sure to clean the chamber of the mateing barrel completely.

AKASL

LIVE FREE OR DIE

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all for your helpful and informative replies. :)
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a 22 conversion from Brownells and the directions advise not to take apart..

Brownells has sold Ciener and I understand they currently sell CMMG.

Ciener's literature cautions against disassembly, which is where the Brownells dictum comes from.

The issue is that some folks will bend the rails. Send one back for warranty, and it's obvious that SOMEBODY messed with it, therefore not a warranty issue.

Gently spread the rails and unhook the chamber insert piece from the rail. The bolt will come off the rail and you can clean up the parts with solvent and a toothbrush.

For firing pin or extractor service, drift out the appropriate roll pin.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

For firing pin or extractor service, drift out the appropriate roll pin.

I got to do this Saturday!

Brad

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top