Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2009 4:15:29 PM EDT
Ok, so heres the deal; I have a registered pistol lower and I really want to put a 10 1/2 in 9mm A3 upper on it. I have been doing some research, and I really like the colt style set-up. I do not like the mag block that extents beyond the magazine well, so that kind is out of the picture. The thought of using Sten magazines sounds nice too. Finally, I am trying to save some money here, and I was looking at a kit from model1sales.com and I was amazed to find out I would be spending around $800.00 total.  This seems pretty outrageous. What kind of mag block do I need? Are only certain bolts compatible with certain blocks (I am clueless!!!)
So here is my question...Looking at what I want, can someone tell me the cheapest/most reliable set-up possible? RRA does not seem to sell the upper I want, and I do not have many options it seems. Please help
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:20:14 PM EDT
[#1]
welcome to the 9mm ar dilemma.  yes 9mm ammo is much cheaper.  BUT the cost of the build is more.  as far as cheapest goes, your best bet will probably be to hound the ee or local sites like backpage.  and be patient till you find a deal on a good used upper.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I got my 9mm shiz from J&T (site sponsor.) Talk to Gary or Dennis.

I use the RRA mag block with the converted Uzi mags.

BTW way, I run a 10 1/2 in an SBR config., not a pistol, but the parts are the same.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, does anybody know any thing about model1sales? I cant really dig up too much on them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Also, does anybody know any thing about model1sales? I cant really dig up too much on them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

BTW way, I run a 10 1/2 in an SBR config., not a pistol, but the parts are the same.

I'd like some more info on the J&T kit. I thought it comes with a mag block? Did it not, or is there a reason you are using the RRA mag block? I see that the J&T kit mentions you have to use modified Uzi mags - I am guessing this is what you mean by converted Uzi mags? How are they modified / converted and can you do this yourself after you buy a few Uzi mags? Also, does the J&T kit come with a mag when you get it?

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like some more info on the J&T kit. I thought it comes with a mag block? Did it not, or is there a reason you are using the RRA mag block? I see that the J&T kit mentions you have to use modified Uzi mags - I am guessing this is what you mean by converted Uzi mags? How are they modified / converted and can you do this yourself after you buy a few Uzi mags? Also, does the J&T kit come with a mag when you get it?

My upper, bolt and hammer are J&T. I haven't checked out the J&T "kits"...

The mag block I got is from RRA, as are the converted UZI mags.

The RRA mag block lock into place by tightening a hex bolt. The UZI mags are cut so that the AR15 mag catch locks them into place, and the mag block stays put when you hit the nag release.

Some mag blocks are actually held into place with the AR15 mag catch. I see guys dump the whole mag block on the ground all the time out of habit by hitting the mag release.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top