Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2008 10:27:43 AM EDT
Does anyone know why RRA 9mm uppers come with A1 flash suppressors instead of A2s?  Is there a reason - A1 works better w/9mm?  

Side issue: Do 16" 9mm barrels with regular load (Blazer Brass, WWB, etc.) 9mm produce enough flash to worry about suppressing it?  Are they as bad as 16" .223s?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't think your second question is a side issue at all.  9mm Luger ammo was designed for a 5" barrel.  Wait til some heavyweights offer up their wisdom, but my guess is no supression would flash the same as a hider.  I doubt there's anything left by the time you get to the end of that 16"
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Does anyone know why RRA 9mm uppers come with A1 flash suppressors instead of A2s?  Is there a reason - A1 works better w/9mm?  

Side issue: Do 16" 9mm barrels with regular load (Blazer Brass, WWB, etc.) 9mm produce enough flash to worry about suppressing it?  Are they as bad as 16" .223s?

Damn good questions.  I will wait for dark and report back.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a RRA 9mm upper that came with the A1 FH.  My ST-22 upper also came with the A1 FH.  Actually I dont have a scientific explanation, but I exchanged both A1s for A2s and havent noticed any change in accuracy nor recoil.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:39:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Because that is what COLT put on them in the first place.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:54:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Wouldn't that be a reason to do something different?  
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#6]
As a pseudo-submachinegun you are unlikely to shoot a 9mm from the prone positon, thus you are unlikely to need an A2 flash hider with the closed bottom hole.

My guess, it may be a little quicker to assemble (i.e. cheaper) since you don't have to time the flash hider.

I doubt you need to worry about flash.  Look at the end of an MP-5 barrel.  
It's a lot shorter than 16" and there isn't even a flash hider on them.
Same for the Uzi.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top