Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/19/2008 5:04:19 PM EDT
I'll be ordering 2-3 metalform mags to cover all my bases on the 9mm platform.  It seems the different models have to do with feed lips and followers.  I know a few of you use these mags.  Can anyone make a recommendation which model would work best with my RRA blocks?

Thanks for your input.

9-SMG-32-P    
9-SMG-32-S  
9-USMG-32-P  
9-USMG-32-S
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Me too.

9-SMG-32-P = flat lips, plastic follower
9-SMG-32-S = flat lips, metal follower
9-USMG-32-P = upturned lips (like an Uzi mag), plastic follower
9-USMG-32-S = upturned lips, metal follower

... and does anyone know if an UZI mag can be made to hold open the bolt with a metal form follower?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#2]
where are you ordering from?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Plastic follower or metal follower is user preference and flat lips.  I have NO functioning problems with both followers and flat lips.  Upturned lips in an UZI thing.

UZI mags do not have the channel on the back for the BHO.  It takes a piece of .010 spring steel welded to an UZI follower to work.
http://users.zoominternet.net/~picplace/bolt_hold_open.htm

Don't get the cart before the horse. I am working on better pricing with Metalform.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for your answer regarding the follower.  I just modded an Uzi mag (I have no other mags, period) so I can now see why you'd need thin spring steel to actuate the BHO.  I can also see that I'd rather have some metalform mags

One good thing about converted Uzi mags: they are made from really thick, hard steel, I think they would last forever in normal service.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:18:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Order direct from Metalform - > HERE

I use the 9MM-SMG-32-P - these are basically the same as the Colt marked mags of the last few years - blued finish, std feed lips and polymer follower.

The 9MM-SMG-32-S are basically the same as the older, preban Colt marked mags that had metal Uzi-style followers.  Only difference is the old mags were park'd finish and the new ones are all blued finish.

I'm not sure on what benefits Metalform saw with the upturned feedlips, so you may want to call them if you want more info.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:39:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I use the 9MM-SMG-32-P - these are basically the same as the Colt marked mags of the last few years - blued finish, std feed lips and polymer follower.

The 9MM-SMG-32-S are basically the same as the older, preban Colt marked mags that had metal Uzi-style followers.  Only difference is the old mags were park'd finish and the new ones are all blued finish.

I'm not sure on what benefits Metalform saw with the upturned feedlips, so you may want to call them if you want more info.

This is what I was looking for.  Thanks for the info.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:59:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I was looking for.  Thanks for the info.

It's the same thing I've been saying for the last few months.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top