Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/19/2008 10:20:51 AM EDT
Looking for 5 -7 inches.  Would like chrome lined, which rules out the Spikes Tactical ones.

Anyone have any ideas, other than cutting down a 16" barrel?

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Just a thought, but chrome doesn't do that much for you unless you are shooting corrosive ammo.  Even in shooting full-auto, a 9mm doesn't heat up nearly as much as a centerfire, so again you really don't have a problem there.  

I've run tens of thousands of rounds through a couple of non-chrome-lined 9mm subguns and have never come close to wearing one out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:56:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:37:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Give some thought to going with a 10" barrel. There is not much to gain over a standard 9mm pistol other than round capacity. Going with the 10" barrel you gain some extended range ability without giving up too much package size.

Take a look at these barrels. I picked up a couple of them, and I am very pleased with them. They are not a light weight profile, but not much weight to loose in a short barrel.
I am giving thoughts to picking up another, in case I decide to build an SBR.
http://global-tactical.com/bcm109mmnatosubmachinegunbarrel.aspx

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 12:19:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 12:54:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You going to have a HARD time finding a chrome lined 9mm barrel. Best bet is to find a Colt 10.5" SMG barrel and cut it down.

I agree completely.  My 5.5" is an RRA barrel that was hacked off, crowned and threaded by ADCO.  Not chrome lined but oh well.  I have not had one issue with it and I do not really see the advantage of going with a 10" barrel unless you can build an SBR.

In Washington state, non-class III's cannot own SBR's so I went the pistol route.  No regrets what-so-ever.  

Next barrel I buy will be from Spike's.  I like the idea of 1/2x28 threads as I had a fun time tracking down a nice FH for my 1/2x36.

Finding a 16" Colt barrel would work great for you as well.  Next one I build is going to be from a Colt 6340 barrel.

Have fun and good luck!
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:32:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I looked into the Colt barrels the other day. A stripped barrel will set you back $350. Yes that is a barrel exactly like you want, but with Colt name on it for an extra $100. I think those barrels are threaded 1/2x36 as well. So that limits you on flash hiders. I may have to jump on a pair of 16" barrels if someone does not step forward soon.

http://www.specializedarmament.com/catalog/Colt_Rifle_Parts-4-0.html
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top