Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/5/2008 11:35:44 PM EDT
I was watching a gunsmithing video, and it said if you use a ciener setup, then after every hundred rounds, fire three or four shots of .223 to keep it from jamming up the gas tube.

for folks with dedicated 22lr uppers, how do you keep these clean and from fouling?

probably a dumb question, but i'm very curious.

respectfully,

hannism
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:55:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I have fired  hundreds and hundreds of rimfire rounds many times and thousands of rounds several times without ever jamming up a gas tube. it could happen but it isn't something I worry about. Gas tubes are only $8 to $12 or so , if I ever jamb one up I will just swap it out with a new one . Why waste the 223 amo?
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:26:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

for folks with dedicated 22lr uppers, how do you keep these clean and from fouling?

respectfully,

hannism

Not a dumb question at all

22lr uppers operate off of blowback and are not gas operated so they do not use a gas tube at all.

Think of it like a 10/22 in a ar body

Good shooting
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:37:46 AM EDT
[#3]
n/m
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:54:05 AM EDT
[#4]
The OP said dedicated 22 uppers, rather than conversion kits.

These don't have gas tubes, so the problem doesn't affect them...
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 3:00:21 AM EDT
[#5]
D'oh!

It's late and the question isn't worded very well...
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 4:15:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Actually, Ciener reccommends a thorough cleaning of the chamber and bore of guns used with the conversion ( not applicable to dedicated setups). The concern isn't the gas tube, but rather a buildup of lead and lube in front of the chamber insert after hundreds or thousands of rounds of rimfire.

The stage is now set for barrel damage from the partial obstruction of a wax/lead ring just in front of the chambered .223 round. Might put a ring in the bore.

Can't tell you how many times some meatball has told me, " well, that .223 just blows it right out".
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 4:19:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Then there's the problem that if you're shooting .22, you may not be able to shoot .223- noise, indoor range, didn't bring the .223 ammo or CF bolt carrier.

Not all gunsmiths are very bright.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:41:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Actually, Ciener recommends a thorough cleaning of the chamber and bore of guns used with the conversion ( not applicable to dedicated setups). The concern isn't the gas tube, but rather a buildup of lead and lube in front of the chamber insert after hundreds or thousands of rounds of rimfire.

The stage is now set for barrel damage from the partial obstruction of a wax/lead ring just in front of the chambered .223 round. Might put a ring in the bore.

Can't tell you how many times some meatball has told me, " well, that .223 just blows it right out".

Thank You! Exactly my thoughts! I don't worry about the gas tube , I will deal with it if it ever happens. I do however hesitate to start  shooting 5.56 if I have more than a couple of mags of rimfire down the bore. It just makes me feel better to run a brush and a few patches before I unleash the 5.56 ammo .
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:44:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

respectfully,

hannism

Not a dumb question at all

22lr uppers operate off of blowback and are not gas operated so they do not use a gas tube at all.

Think of it like a 10/22 in a ar body

Good shooting

Just like a lot of pistol caliber centerfire AR15 uppers
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top