Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/22/2008 12:46:23 PM EDT
If I get a 9mm hammer to put in my coversion lower, will I still need/be better off with a ramped bolt?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#1]
If you run a 9mm hammer a ramped bolt will not work. Mike
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Colt Large pin lower receiver with the nasty, notched semi hammer. If I get a ramped bolt 9mm bolt, will it work with that hammer?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:13:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have a Colt Large pin lower receiver with the nasty, notched semi hammer. If I get a ramped bolt 9mm bolt, will it work with that hammer?

Depends on the angle of ramp cut by the machinist... use a "neutered" M16 stye hammer and run with it and ramp the bolt.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on the angle of ramp cut by the machinist... use a "neutered" M16 stye hammer and run with it and ramp the bolt.

No good for him.  He's got the screwy large pin Colt (I assume you mean it uses the large hammer/trigger pins.  Large takedown pin wouldn't matter), and M16s use the smaller pins.  

Ramping should work for you.  Have the machinist try to duplicate the ramp on your .223 bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 5:27:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Should I just say screw it and get a large pin 9mm hammer and call it a day?

If a 9mm hammer is used with a non ramped 9mm bolt, doest it still beat the fire control assembly to death or will I not have to worry so much about broken pins and egged out pin holes?
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 5:39:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Get the hammer and make it a dedicated 9mm AR and be done with it.  
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top