Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 7:16:43 AM EDT
Okay I had the money saved up for my 22LR upper but I had to buy a new safe instead.  I'm close again but want to get a few things straight.

First (A) I primarily want a complete 22 upper (as opposed to a conversion kit) because...

A1) I believe it will be more accurate

A2) I don't understand the amount of wear and tear the 22LR will put on one of my SHTF uppers (extra dirtiness that is hard to clean???)

A3) I want a very lightweight upper for my son when he gets old enough

Except for #3 I realize I could be wrong... could someone correct me if I'm not

Second, (B) I am looking at the Model-1 upper because it comes in the configuration I want (lightweight 16" flat top)

B1) what other manufacturers are available

B2) I have had two Model-1 uppers that did not work.  I would not own there product as a "go-to" weapon, but how is the 22 upper compared to others.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Give Spike's Tactical a call (phone: 407.928.2666) , awesome customer service
web site ---->http://spikestactical.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=26

juan
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#2]
My M1S 16" CAR upper ( the heavier barrel) is run on a DPMS based Clark Gator lower.

Other than a certain finickiness with regard to ammo choice, It runs fine. For high volume fire, I'm using Wally Fed Value Pack 550 in BDM full body or skinny mags.

Certain ammo feeds mainly from the skinnies.

JAC steel mags feed anything.

My best accuracy was about 3/4" @50yd, but I don't remember what ammo.

My regret was that when I picked up the upper at the gun show ( custom assembled per phone and fax request-flat top 9mm receiver, 16" CAR, CAR handguard, regular front sight) I got a BDM skinny included (along with the modified chamber adapter piece- since I already had the JAC conversion) instead of the 10 round Ciener, which would have been the same price. Since the JAC 10s are $45 and BDMs are $30-35, I screwed up.

For any kind of bench work, the JAC 10 rounders are great, since they only stick out about 2" below the mag well. High capacity mags and benches don't mix happily.

I am very happy with my M1S. I understand Spike's is excellent also. I have some of his " .22LR" marked lowers ( not yet built up) which seem to be of excellent quality.

I also hope to build a featherweight more accurate upper. I am reflecting on whether to send a Lothar Walther barrel to be turned to light CAR contour, versus a Tac Sol Ciener compatible stainless lined aluminum, vs a double throwdown super duper aluminum sleeved steel barrel I hear Walther offers. I plan to use a Clark graphite handguard ( light, stylish), and maybe a carbon flat top upper, and mount the whole thing on a Cav Arms lightweight lower, saving more weight by leaving out the spring and buffer.

I would be interested to know the weight of your upper.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
We offer a 16" Lightweight upper.

I do not see it on the website, all I see is the M4 config
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#5]
http://spikestactical.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=116
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top