Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2008 8:44:00 PM EDT
So I ordered a couple of the CProducts 9mm AR mags. I got the ones marked SS on the body and a crude 9mm marking on the bottom of the plastic follower. I'm not sure if this is the latest issue or not, but just got them in the mail a couple of days ago.

I have a Colt 6450. The gun would not hand cycle with the new mags in. I have some Colt mags, one with the metail follower, one with the plastic follower, and I have a ProMag. Those all hand cycle fine.

I noticed the feed lips on the CProducts mags are hitting the bolt on the grooves as it passes by, causing the bolt to bind against the feedlips, and prohibiting the gun from cycling. I hate to think these new mags are gouging the bolt...not good.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Thanks
jonblack
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:51:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:56:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for your reply. I did a quick search for "feed lips 6450" and got no results. Can you post some links to the posts to which you are referring?

Thank you
jonblack
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:17:16 AM EDT
[#3]
It should just be the right inside feed lip that is contacting the bolt.  I filed a few thousandths off of mine to eliminate contact so they would function.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#4]
k_g

I did the same thing to one of my CProducts mags. I filed a little on the feed lips, changing the angle of contact just a bit. I also buffed where I filed so as to smooth out and file marks and make a slick surface. This seems to have done the trick. I hand cycled two sticks of 32 rounds, and all seemed well.

Too bad these couldn't have "worked" without the extra effort. I'll report back after I have had a chance to test for function.

Take care
jonblack
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got a couple of these as well and they drag like hell. My ProMags work 100%.
Where exactly on the feed lips are you guys filing them to get the needed clearance?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Be sure the gun is safe. IE: unloaded and clear.

Lock the bolt back, stick a mag in, and then slowly hand cycle. You should see where the bolt starts to "drag" across the feed lip closest to the ejection port. File a little at a time, and retest.

Take a look at the pic for reference.

jonblack

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:18:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the pic and info jon! I'll give that a try.
Since I got em on the $19.99 sale I don't mind filing on em a bit.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:45:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Since I got em on the $19.99 sale I don't mind filing on em a bit.  

That was how I rationalized the issue. Otherwise I would have been PO'd.

jonblack
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info. I just bought two CP mags and they are hanging up on my bolt as well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Take a look at the pic for reference.

jonblack

www.customblotterart.com/ar15/mag_mod.jpg

If you put the mag in your rifle and try to hand cycle the bolt a few times using the charging handle, you should begin to see wear on the inside edges of the feed lips where there is contact with the bolt.

I only had contact on the right feed lip and it was only towards the front of it.  I only needed a little filing - just a few thousandths - to fix the issue.  I didn't have to touch the left feed lip at all on any of my mags.

Link Posted: 7/27/2008 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the tip!!!!
This should be a sticky for all those who have these issues.
Who knows, maybe C-Products will read it.
I marked mine with a black marker and cycled the bolt to see where it hit.
Hit it with the Dremel a bit only on the right feed lip. I removed very little metal, just kinda broke the corner.
Blacked it again and re-ran the bolt test. Cycled perfect and no contact.
Took them to the range today and they cycled 100%!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for a great tip!  
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I got the same issues with a RRA.

Gun ran well but the brass was only falling a foot or two away.

I'll do what the others have mentioned and see how that works.

TR
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got a RRA 9mm and have some questions.  I have a bunch of CProducts mags that I bought months ago.  They're marked "9MM" over "SS" over "X" on the bodies.  The followers are not marked 9mm.  Are these the latest or is there something that I should be concerned about.

I hand cycled the magazines and the bottom of the bolt doesn't seem to be making contact with the magazine lips.  What has me concerned is that on CProducts website it says "If purchasing a 9mm magazine for use in a Rock River Rifle, you will need to adjust the magazine block .015-.020 lower to function properly in this platform."  Do they say this because of the issue with magazine feed lips hitting the bolt or is there another reason?
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The followers are not marked 9mm.  

Be sure to take the follower out of the magazine tube. The "9mm" markings are crudely scribbled on the bottom side of the follower.

jonblack
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#15]
The followers are definitely not marked 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#16]
How odd - my problem with them was the feed lips getting jammed into the bolt guide rails in the upper and the mags not seating easily or dropping free.

Of course, one was an RRA and the other was a Superior build up with RRA parts... though the bolt guides of a random .223 upper caught the mags too.

?????????
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:...  I didn't have to touch the left feed lip at all on any of my mags.

Mine didn't really need filing on the left feed lip either. I still hit it a lick as I did not want the slightest possibility of the bolt dragging on the mag. The polish marks make it look like I did more to it than I really did.

jonblack
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#18]
If you disassemble the mag and insert it in the magwell, you can shine a flashlight in the mag and see exactly where the contact with the bolt is.

Larry
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 4:31:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I just got a RRA 9mm and have some questions.  I have a bunch of CProducts mags that I bought months ago.  They're marked "9MM" over "SS" over "X" on the bodies.  The followers are not marked 9mm.  Are these the latest or is there something that I should be concerned about.

I hand cycled the magazines and the bottom of the bolt doesn't seem to be making contact with the magazine lips.  What has me concerned is that on CProducts website it says "If purchasing a 9mm magazine for use in a Rock River Rifle, you will need to adjust the magazine block .015-.020 lower to function properly in this platform."  Do they say this because of the issue with magazine feed lips hitting the bolt or is there another reason?
On mine the the fired round would not eject properly and the next round would jam entering the chamber occasionally on every mag.  I lowered the block per Cproducts, and now it feeds 100% from Cproducts, Pro Mags and Colts. I now have 8 Cproducts and they all work 100% with all types of ammo.  One great thing with the C products mags is that you dont get the famous Colt brass fountain when you drop a loaded mag or even bump it hard on the bench.

G
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#20]
" They're marked "9MM" over "SS" over "X" on the bodies"

My latest two straight from C Products with red followers are marked that way. My others have been great.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 7:01:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
" They're marked "9MM" over "SS" over "X" on the bodies"

My latest two straight from C Products with red followers are marked that way. My others have been great.

That is very strange as Larry has stated that CP essentially stopped production on the "X" variant back in April or earlier and there shouldn't be any around any longer - just one version since April with no X.

I am totally confused as to why CP is currently shipping both X and non-X marked mags.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I had the same problem with my RRA.  I just made a few passes on each feedlip with a file.

Didnt have to take off much, mainly just a burr.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quote "That is very strange as Larry has stated that CP essentially stopped production on the "X" variant back in April or earlier and there shouldn't be any around any longer - just one version since April with no X. I am totally confused as to why CP is currently shipping both X and non-X marked mags."

Link
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Quote "That is very strange as Larry has stated that CP essentially stopped production on the "X" variant back in April or earlier and there shouldn't be any around any longer - just one version since April with no X. I am totally confused as to why CP is currently shipping both X and non-X marked mags."

Link

Not sure what you were trying to tell me with that link about the new orange follower.  I was referring to the markings on the body and the fact that Larry has stated in the CP industry forum that the X marked mags were from the first run and no longer being made as of April 2008, yet people are still receiving X marked mags today - even with the latest orange follower.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I guess you did not scroll down and read the post. I thought I was being helpful.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 4:40:00 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I guess you did not scroll down and read the post. I thought I was being helpful.

I've read that post before - what was it you were hoping I would find helpful?  Please help out my feeble mind.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 5:09:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Nothing I guess. My bad.
Link Posted: 10/26/2008 5:55:43 AM EDT
[#28]

I got in a new batch of 32 rd C-Products 9mm Stainless Steel mags last week.
I ordered the Marlube finish mags with the new Orange followers from 44MAG.com.
I
was hand cycling to check them before going to the range and to my
surprise these did not exhibit the feed lip problems the previous batch
had.
I didn't have to touch these with the Dremel.
Don't know whether it was just odd luck or they made a running change due to problems. (Maybe Colt made them fix em)
Got
the chance to take 3 new shooters out to the range yesterday, and my 9mm AR
ran perfectly with both ball and hollow point ammo in these mags.
The 3 new shooters also had a spectacular time.
100% success!

Link Posted: 11/4/2008 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I got in a new batch of 32 rd C-Products 9mm Stainless Steel mags last week.
I ordered the Marlube finish mags with the new Orange followers from 44MAG.com.
Iwas hand cycling to check them before going to the range and to mysurprise these did not exhibit the feed lip problems the previous batchhad.
I didn't have to touch these with the Dremel.
Don't know whether it was just odd luck or they made a running change due to problems. (Maybe Colt made them fix em)
Gotthe chance to take 3 new shooters out to the range yesterday, and my 9mm ARran perfectly with both ball and hollow point ammo in these mags.
The 3 new shooters also had a spectacular time.
100% success!            

What kind of rifle, Colt, RRA?  Did the mags have an "X" on them?
Link Posted: 11/5/2008 3:02:41 AM EDT
[#30]
No X on the mags, that was the first thing I looked at.
I run a Spike's lower with an RRA mag block and an RRA Bolt.
My mag block is set flush to the top of the lower. I wanted to keep the ejctor close to the bolt.
Dropping the block lower didn't make it run with the previous mags that I had to Dremel.
Link Posted: 11/5/2008 3:56:53 AM EDT
[#31]
I am surprised CProducts didn't post in this thread.
Link Posted: 11/5/2008 4:35:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I am surprised CProducts didn't post in this thread.

Is this what you were hoping for?

Originally Posted By CProducts in another area about other problems with their 9mm mags but I'm pretty sure it applies here as well:That's a new one. Send them back to C Products, 30 Elmwood Court, Newington,CT 06111 and we will take a look at them and replace them at no charge if necessary.
Link Posted: 11/5/2008 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Not sure what you were trying to tell me with that link about the new orange follower.  I was referring to the markings on the body and the fact that Larry has stated in the CP industry forum that the X marked mags were from the first run and no longer being made as of April 2008, yet people are still receiving X marked mags today - even with the latest orange follower.

I don't understand either.  I received 4 20rd and 4 32rd mags as replacements for some that I bought when the first came out.  There were X's on some of the bodies.  Some had orange followers and some had black followers.  Even though I lowered the mag block in my RRA 9mm, it didn't make a difference.  The replacements were still unreliable.  The factory RRA that came with my rifle has been 100% reliable.  I sent all eight back yesterday.

Link Posted: 11/5/2008 1:43:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I don't understand either.  I received 4 20rd and 4 32rd mags as replacements for some that I bought when the first came out.  There were X's on some of the bodies.  Some had orange followers and some had black followers.  Even though I lowered the mag block in my RRA 9mm, it didn't make a difference.  The replacements were still unreliable.  The factory RRA that came with my rifle has been 100% reliable.  I sent all eight back yesterday.

You aren't the only one that doesn't understand as Larry has been kind of "evasive" on the issue and the issue of marking their mags with a date code or lot #.  You also aren't the only one that has had problems with CP mags.  I'm sure there will be someone along though to tell you that it's all in your head.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top