Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2008 6:02:57 AM EDT
Hi everyone,

This is my first post and I'm a complete noob to ARs. I  spent a lot of time at the sigforum under the same name. :)

I have decided I want to get into the AR world and am starting a project for a dedicated 22lr. My decision to focus on 22lr is based on 1) my local range only allows 22 rimfire rifles (lame, I know), and 2) this will be a cost-effective choice that will get me into a quality AR for plinking.

I was about to purchase a GSG, but decided that I'd like a platform that I can adapt to 223 or 5.56 at a later date with a proper upper; hence, this is a long-term project. Also, I live in NJ, so I'm just trying to get in the game before any potential bans come into play come January.  Here are some limits: I need a 16" barrel, can't have flash suppressor, front grip, retractable stock, or real can.  I think I can still make a pretty cool gun.

It's pretty basic, but I can add toys later.  Here is what I'm thinking. I would really welcome any feedback you all may have:

- Spikes 22 upper with lightweight rails
- CMMG lower
- DPMS lower controls
- Skeleton butt stock

One thing I don't fully understand is that on Spikes website, there is an option for a YHM or Stag gas block.  I thought dirty rimfire fouled these up. Is it worth getting this?

Will all of these parts work seamlessly together?  Am I leaving some important consideration out?  Thanks in advance.  I look forward to sharing information with you all--once I have some that is :)

Rob
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:49:00 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
One thing I don't fully understand is that on Spikes website, there is an option for a YHM or Stag gas block.  I thought dirty rimfire fouled these up. Is it worth getting this?

I'm pretty sure that spikes uses .22lr barrels, and they aren't drilled for a gas port.
This means that the gas blocks only act as a mounting point for a front sight. (or sling swivel, etc)

For your application, you need to decide what you want to use for a front sight, and then how you want to mount it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:54:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks JR, that helps clear up some confusion for me.  I appreciate that.

Any feedback on whether this would be a good build? Suggestions for making it better?

I think I'll call Spikes today to see about the upper and what they suggest for front site.

Rob
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top