Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/18/2008 2:26:41 PM EDT
Hello All,
I just got my Ciener conversion. I would like to use this Ciener conversion with my bulk 16" Stainless Steel .223 barell.
To shoot .22lr, does .22lr needs the gas tube to opperate? If the gas tube is not needed, can I move my top railed from gas block a little bit to the front to cover the gas hole on my barell to prevent dirty stuff from .22lr ammo to enter my gas tube?

Do you know a gunsmith out there who does flute job on stainless steel bulk barel? I would like to reduce the weigth of my bulk barell.

Thanks,
Cal  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:41:43 PM EDT
[#1]
The .22 doesn't need the gas tube to function. I have a dedicated upper that I cut the tube at the receiver on. If not a dedicated upper just clean it up really well after shooting .22. Some people like to run a mag or two of .223/5.56 after a .22 session to clean it out. I Do Not do that , I prefer to clean the bbl properly to purge the copper and clean the tube manually and clean the chamber. FWIW - the bbl/chamber is always grubby and the tube doesn't get real dirty comparitavely. I usually shoot about 300 rnds or so of .22 per session. I don't understand the other part of your question regarding the rail , etc though. It also doesn't need the buffer to function , but does need it to hold it in place if the tube is not blocked/plugged IIRC. I leave the buffer/spring in place.

I don't know about fluting your SS Bbl either.

Choose your ammo for the ceiner carefully. Avoid Remington - especially "Golden Bulletts". Bulk federals run great in mine , as do CCI mini-mags 36&40gr.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you have a clamp on gas block. Yes, moving it would work if you are not going back to .223. If you are switching back and forth, just leave the gas tube and clean the barrel after shooting .22. I run a boresnake through mine while it's hot and put a few rounds of .223 through it to blow out the gas tube. Then take it home and give it a proper cleaning. You have to use common sense. Don't shoot more than 300 rounds of .22 and try to put .223 through it without cleaning the barrel. Theres enough gass pressure to blow the carbon out of the gas tube.
+1 on the buffer. Got to have something to keep the Ciener in place.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for response to my question.
Yes, I plan to make my Wilson stainless steel 1:9 bull barel upper for shooting .22lr only. Since .22lr can function without gas tube, I will turn my clam gas block to 180 degree to block the gas port on my barel. Hopefully, this modification will improve it function & more reliable.

Thanks,
Cal
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:51:18 PM EDT
[#4]
You do not need a buffer/spring to keep the kit in place.

It is held in by the upper edge of the lower receiver.
*However, the retaining pin is depressed, putting the buffer in contact with the kit.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#5]
What is a "bulk barrel"?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What is a "bulk barrel"?

bull.

(c'mon)
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry, I just couldn't figure out if this was "Bulk-S&*t" or what.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#8]

After reading it again, I don't blame you for asking...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Just trying to have a little fun. Big or poorly aimed fingers don't always punch the correct key.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry about spelling.

Thank you for recommending ADCO for the flute job. ADCO seems to have the best price.

Here are some the pictures after I turned my AR gas block 180 degree to block its gas port.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like you need some Black Dog Mags to go with that rifle!!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:47:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Looks like you need some Black Dog Mags to go with that rifle!!!

Looks like he has at least 1
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top