Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/15/2008 9:49:08 AM EDT
I recently dropped a Timney 3lb trigger into my 9 build and have noticed that occasionally the trigger fails to be reset. I'm rather partial to crisp light triggers and would prefer to keep this in there. I personally couldn't find a reason for this searching the forum. Any suggestions or ideas as to why this is happening and how to rectify it?

Edit to insert fix: On the inside of the Timney unit on the trigger there is a set screw needs to be turned clockwise until the trigger will reliably reset. I'm guessing this is what was meant by the over travel adjustment. I over looked it before because Timney puts a dab of something over the head of the set screw to tell if the factory settings have been tampered with in case of a return. Thanks Timney, and sorry TehLlama42 for not understanding where to look.

This trigger setup is what I was hoping for!
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#1]
How much adjustment is in for the overtravel?  Seems like that would be a possible culprit.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:25:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Would like to know as im having the same problem as well.  Do you have your bolt ramped?  I do and thought it was ramped too much. it works perfect with a mil spec hammer, but fails to reset sometimes with the timney.  I dont think the timney is adjustable but  i could be wrong.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I yanked my Timney out last night and couldn't see anyplace for adjustment on the over travel. My bolt is ramped. It was done by the great guys at ADCO (Thanks Steve!).
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting thing I noticed today in the field while trying to work this out was that if I found that the trigger hadn't reset and then flipped the safety to 'safe and then back to 'fire' it would fire. Does this give anyone any ideas?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks I'll give it a shot.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#7]
If a little bit of crude can cause that, I could never trust it. Bummer, because I have really been wanting to see how well they hold up.
Man I have a JP Trigger/Hammer set in my 3-Gun carbine. That is the second or third lower it has been and I have had it for at least 8 years and shot thousands and thousands of rounds with no malfunctions.

Bill
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If the crude isnt the problem then its the disconector engaging with the hammer. Check the trigger engagement with the upper off and see if the hammer comes into contact with the disconector.

The disconector was my problem with a timney.
I replace the disconector and all is fixed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If the crude isnt the problem then its the disconector engaging with the hammer. Check the trigger engagement with the upper off and see if the hammer comes into contact with the disconector.

What was the problem with your disconnector?

Edit: I cleaned it thoroughly last night and took it out this morning and still the same results.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What was the problem with your disconnector?

Edit: I cleaned it thoroughly last night and took it out this morning and still the same results.

The first disconector was not to spec, maybe from a bad batch
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I had the same problem, exactly as described including how flipping the safety selector would reset the trigger. Called Timney and they talked me through putting a little extra partial turn on the rear adjuster screw, which as you described, is covered with a blob of anti-tamper stuff.

Looks like you got it solved though, as you indicate in the edit to your first post.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top