Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/12/2008 10:44:10 AM EDT
I ordered an action block yesterday, but just got to wondering will it work on a 9mm upper with the blass deflector in place?  Or will I need to remove/dremel some material out of the block to fit?
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 11:59:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I just did a barrel swap from and A-1 9mm upper over to a flat top upper. I used the action block purchased from Bushmaster to do it. You do have to remove the 9mm brass deflector for the action block to fit. Most action blocks are not designed to accommodate 9mm uppers with big brass deflector. At first I was hesitant about removing the brass deflector, but once it was removed the action block fits perfectly. Reinstalling brass deflector, trap door, and spring was a simple affair that took about a minute. I wouldn’t bother using a dremel tool to remove material since the plastic on the block is very hard and it would probably take you longer to do it then to remove the brass deflector.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 5:05:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry, I just asked the same question on the Build forum. What do you do to modify it? Do you just cut out a section that allows the deflector to pass through? Will it effect the block's use with a non 9mm upper?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 6:17:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I removed the door, spring and deflector and it was very easy.  Since I still don't have my action block in my hands, I re-installed everything to make sure I could do it and it was a breeze (it installed the same way it came out, from the rear).  Just be careful to not loose the C clip... it's really small.  I got a huge zip-lock freezer bag and put the whole upper in it and removed it inside the bag as to not loose the clip.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 7:52:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 4:12:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't use a Dremel.  All it will do is heat up the plastic and melt it into a mess.  Use a hack saw and plenty of elbow grease.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I removed the brass deflector and put on a regular door like a 5.56. No slinging of brass in my face.  It looks better this way to me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:24:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I removed the brass deflector and put on a regular door like a 5.56. No slinging of brass in my face.  It looks better this way to me.

That would look better.  Where does it throw the brass?
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top