Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/4/2008 1:13:34 AM EDT
could anyone running a RRA 9mm upper please take a look and tell me if there is a hole for a gas tube.  I want to use one and swap out for a normal port door for a lightweight build I am working on.

thanks guys

-Mike
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:30:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Early versions had the gas tube hole but current versions do not. Garrison Manufacturing sells the same slick side flat top upper receiver but it does not have the laser engraved logo like the RRA version does. Just something to consider.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:15:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Early versions had the gas tube hole but current versions do not. Garrison Manufacturing sells the same slick side flat top upper receiver but it does not have the laser engraved logo like the RRA version does. Just something to consider.

Do the Garrison uppers have a hole for the tube?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:12:32 AM EDT
[#3]
No. I think they either buy the UR from the same source as RRA or from RRA.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:02:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Nope no hole.  I wanted to do the same thing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#5]
wow, I didnt expect this to be that difficult to find.... anyone else have any ideas otherwise I am going to go with the dpms (below) but it does not seem like a good choice for a lightweight, but i still dont know how heave one is

-Mike
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Les Baer makes a flat-top upper without forward assist, but it does have a brass deflector.  Don't know if that would be satisfactory or not.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#7]
That dpms lo-pro upper is a bit higher than a normal flat top. Les Baer's flat top w/o the fa
seems better, just that it has the brass deflector on it as mentioned above. It's also lighter
than the dpms.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Les Baer's flat top w/o the fa seems better, just that it has the brass deflector on it as mentioned above. It's also lighter than the dpms.

So just machine off the brass deflector.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks guy but i think i got the answer over in another thread from ar discussions I am going to pick up a RRA 9mm upper and have adco drill a hole, since i would rather not have the shell deflector either

-Mike
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:06:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
thanks guy but i think i got the answer over in another thread from ar discussions I am going to pick up a RRA 9mm upper and have adco drill a hole, since i would rather not have the shell deflector either

-Mike

Isn't there something else that needs to be cut as well? I think it was a cutout above the bolt
carrier.

ETA: I just remembered, it's the cutout for the cam pin to rotate.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:01:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
could anyone running a RRA 9mm upper please take a look and tell me if there is a hole for a gas tube.  I want to use one and swap out for a normal port door for a lightweight build I am working on.

thanks guys

-Mike

Mine does not have a gas tube hole
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:24:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I have several RRA 9mm uppers.......none of them have the gas tube hole.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Posted by Johannson:
Isn't there something else that needs to be cut as well? I think it was a cutout above the bolt
carrier.

Negative. That area is already machined. No mods needed accept the gas tube hole. Check this thread about half way down page 1 for pictures of the RRA 9mm upper receiver.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=381198
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Posted by Johannson:
carrier.

Negative. That area is already machined. No mods needed accept the gas tube hole. Check this thread about half way down page 1 for pictures of the RRA 9mm upper receiver.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=381198

Thanks.

ETA: Nevermind, I read the rest of that thread. Where did that misinformation come from
anyway? Still, thanks for clearing that up.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:20:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Another member made that assumption and posted it as fact.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top