Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 4:31:20 PM EDT
Well I picked up an Oly upper today.  I already had a hahn sten-to-Oly block and some sten mags and I learned that if you push on the side bumps they feed all the way through, but you can mill the lower and remendy that, however, looking at my mags, there seems to be a bit of variance (left to right) in where the stops are, and I don't feel like milling that much away.

So here are two thoughts I have.

1)  Grab some 7/8's tube, fire up the TIG, make my own Oly style mags, bead balst and parkerize.

or

2)  TIG a bump on the front of the mag so the won't feed through the well and stop the bolt (I was thinking fab up some little square similiar to an M-14 mag, but stick them on the fron to catch the front of the mag well ).

Anybody every try either of these?  What are your thoughts?  Any opinions or tips?

Thanks for any help y'all can provide.

~Dan
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#1]
its nice you have the equipment to do that type of work.

however, i think its moot.  the Oly system doesnt have a LSHO feature....sooooo. unless youre counting rounds, the last thing you will hear is a click.  

I use to swap mags with the bolt in battery and then charge.  that way the mag doesnt slide up into the upper.  at least thats how i use to do it.

Now, with my SNS magwell block, i dont have the problem of the mag slipping by the mag catch.  

edit:

btw. i still flattened the ears on my mags.  i wanted to keep my lower intact.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:31:32 AM EDT
[#2]
The SNS looks like a good idea.  The funny thing is, to make a long story short, I already have some Colt pattern 9mm 's, but I got a really good deal on the hahn block, and that led me to purchase sten mags and then I have sat on it for about two years until I came across an Oly upper for the right price.  After all of that it would seem silly to drop the hahn block, and that is what keeps driving me to figure out a way to use it.  It just really bothers me if I insert a mag with the BHO engatged it goes all the way to the top, and I haven't tried it, but I would think if you where to use the mag as a shooting stick or bipod (I have done this a few times with some others), it might casue problems, however, do to it raining 3" in two hours last night, I did not get a chance to try it out.

~Dan
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:16:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the hahn top loaded mag block, and don't have any problems with the tabs on the sides of the sten mags. How much force are you using to push the mags all the way through?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, without squising the ears down, the wouldn't go in at all.  Well actually I did force one in, but removing it became a three-handed tug-o-war.  After squising the ears, the drop free.  Down if it is upright, up if it [the weapon] is upside down.

~Dan
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The SNS looks like a good idea.  The funny thing is, to make a long story short, I already have some Colt pattern 9mm 's, but I got a really good deal on the hahn block, and that led me to purchase sten mags and then I have sat on it for about two years until I came across an Oly upper for the right price.  After all of that it would seem silly to drop the hahn block, and that is what keeps driving me to figure out a way to use it.  It just really bothers me if I insert a mag with the BHO engatged it goes all the way to the top, and I haven't tried it, but I would think if you where to use the mag as a shooting stick or bipod (I have done this a few times with some others), it might casue problems, however, do to it raining 3" in two hours last night, I did not get a chance to try it out.

~Dan

well. i still have my Hahn top drop block, but wanted to try the SNS.  i added the colt mag catch to only 4 of my mags just to try.  it appears to work fine.  I also converted 2 of the worse case mags to 20 rounders.

i havent tried using the mag as a mono pod since my range has sandbags and rilfe stands.  however i can see where you may want to use the mag as a mono pod.

if you look at the design of the Hahn mag catch, it doent prevent you from pushing the mag in all the way as you have found. it ONLY keep the mag from falling out.  so i would asssume that if you put enought weight on the gun and mag, the mag will probably create enough friction on the bolt to keep it from operating.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top