Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2008 3:09:52 PM EDT
Who makes the cleanest burning .22 LR regardless of cost?
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 5:12:24 PM EDT
[#1]
CCI MINIMAGS
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
CCI MINIMAGS

Wrap it up folks, this thread is over.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
CCI MINIMAGS

Yep.  Can't think of a cleaner one.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Can you quantify how "clean" these "cleanest" .22s are?  In my experience it's more a question of being absolutely filthy or just less filthy rather than "clean."
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, they are dirty compared to center fire ammo but they are the cleanest I have seen.  Remember that usually the priming compound and lead are the two things that generate the 'dirt', most of the powder goes down the barrel.

MiniMags are plated so that takes the lead out of the equation for the most part and they have a premium primer compound so they are at the top of clean.

The worst has to be Thunder Bolts then Federal Lightening then Winchester Wildcats but all of those are lubed lead bullets.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Can you quantify how "clean" these "cleanest" .22s are?  In my experience it's more a question of being absolutely filthy or just less filthy rather than "clean."

I never understood replies like this.  What am I supposed to say to this?  It's not a rocket-science type question.  Sure, I guess I could go out and purchase a $3000 anaylitical balance and measure how much deposit one round left in the barrel versus another...somehow...and then come on here and say "I want a round that only leaves 2 micrograms of shit in my barrel per shot, just like such-and-such ammo does", and then it would be quantified.

Or, people could just post what they think a clean round is, or not post at all.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2008 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never understood replies like this.  What am I supposed to say to this?  It's not a rocket-science type question.  Sure, I guess I could go out and purchase a $3000 anaylitical balance and measure how much deposit one round left in the barrel versus another...somehow...and then come on here and say "I want a round that only leaves 2 micrograms of shit in my barrel per shot, just like such-and-such ammo does", and then it would be quantified.

Or, people could just post what they think a clean round is, or not post at all.  

I wasn't being particularly silly with that reply.  I wanted to know how "clean" the poster meant.  Was it "I don't see any gunk in my rifle" clean, or was it "it's not as bad as most" clean.  And the latter is what the response was.  I had sort of hoped that maybe they'd found a .22 round that left only a tiny bit of crud behind, and that's why I asked.  I don't see why my question was a problem.  Isn't it clear that I had not seen .22 ammunition did not leave a bunch of crap behind?
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wasn't being particularly silly with that reply.  I wanted to know how "clean" the poster meant.  Was it "I don't see any gunk in my rifle" clean, or was it "it's not as bad as most" clean.  And the latter is what the response was.  I had sort of hoped that maybe they'd found a .22 round that left only a tiny bit of crud behind, and that's why I asked.  I don't see why my question was a problem.  Isn't it clear that I had not seen .22 ammunition did not leave a bunch of crap behind?

I don't know if there is a .22 round that is as clean as a high quality centerfire round.  The thing is, there's probably no goood reason why there's not such a round.  If there is, I'd like to know what it (the reason) is.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know if there is a .22 round that is as clean as a high quality centerfire round.  The thing is, there's probably no goood reason why there's not such a round.  If there is, I'd like to know what it (the reason) is.

The cleaner the ignition source is the more it costs.  When 22LR starts rivaling the cost of CF ammo, they have lost the focus as to who is buying RF ammo and why they are buying RF ammo.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I think the priming compound has a lot to do with a lot of the gunk.

OT but might be relevant.  

I remember firing really clean surplus 9mm (Canadian WW2) purchased mail order from Sears - yes this was a long, long time ago and Sears even paid for the shipping to Hawaii.

Out of a Luger (P08 for you purists) and a P35 Hi-Power - the shells came out clean and the pistols had very little foulng.  

How clean?  The cases looked brand new and unfired.  The insides were absolutely clean and bright.  

Didn't some company make a "clean" primer?  Might have been CCI.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 6:17:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Winchester sold a Product called WinClean, those cases came out nice clean and shiny but once the 45 shooters figured out that they were SMPP's they were not happy.  Then the folks that shot SMPP's figured out that they were crimped, they were not too happy either.  I guess you can't please everyone.

I contacted Winchester and asked if they sold those primers and they said, NO! and that they had no plans to do so.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Another vote for CCI mini mags.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Winchester sold a Product called WinClean, those cases came out nice clean and shiny but once the 45 shooters figured out that they were SMPP's they were not happy.  Then the folks that shot SMPP's figured out that they were crimped, they were not too happy either.  I guess you can't please everyone.

I contacted Winchester and asked if they sold those primers and they said, NO! and that they had no plans to do so.

Winchester doesn't sell Winclean anymore?  What does SMPP mean and why were they mad?
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Who makes the cleanest burning .22 LR regardless of cost?

I understand your question but isn't it putting the cart before the horse?

I always thought most people shot 22lr mainly due to the cheap cost.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Winchester doesn't sell Winclean anymore?  What does SMPP mean and why were they mad?

They still sell it as far as I know, but I don't buy factory ammo.

SMPP = Small Pistol Primer.

45 ACP takes a LPP (Large Pistol Primer) and some folks just didn't check and ran the stuff through their presses and did some damage by setting off a primer when trying to jam a LPP into a SMPP hole.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a Kurts Kustom dedicated 22 upper on my Colt M16. It ran GREAT!!! I also fed it with ten 30 round magazines and I used quick magazine loading tool. When I took this out to shoot I would shoot 3,000 rounds in a day. My upper would get dirty but the dirt wasn't the problem. Lead in my barrel was the biggest problem I had. I would be more concerned with buying plated bullets that kept my barrel from leading up then a dirty action.

Just my $0.02.

Dane
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
CCI MINIMAGS

Yeahhhh babbby...
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Minimags, but the Federal #750 bulk is relatively clean and the price is right...
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Lapua, RWS and Eley run pretty barren.  Oh and Fiocchi too.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:24:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Is the Federal #750 bulk plated?

Dane
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:59:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm going to have to agree on the minimags.  A little pricey, but I shot a bunch through my cenier this weekend and was pleasantly surprised when it was time to clean up.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:13:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
When 22LR starts rivaling the cost of CF ammo, they have lost the focus as to who is buying RF ammo and why they are buying RF ammo.

Quoted for truth.

Another vote here for Federal 750, AKA Federal Walmart Bulk. Burns so clean I consider it to BE a bore cleaner. (Yes, it's copper-washed.) Costs half to one-third as much as CCI MiniMags.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:10:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When 22LR starts rivaling the cost of CF ammo, they have lost the focus as to who is buying RF ammo and why they are buying RF ammo.

Quoted for truth.

Another vote here for Federal 750, AKA Federal Walmart Bulk. Burns so clean I consider it to BE a bore cleaner. (Yes, it's copper-washed.) Costs half to one-third as much as CCI MiniMags.

That is good to here. I guess I'll start stocking up on the Fed bulk as I wait for my Spike's dedicated upper. I was buying CCI only for the past year so I have a huge amount. Time to add to the stash with Fed bulk.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top