Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/20/2008 6:18:19 PM EDT
I have a 9mm RRA with 16 inch barrel.  I am shooting standard 9mm rounds and know the ballistics to 100 yds.  
Now the questions:  How far is its effectiveness for a clean kill?
I ask this question because I would like to use the gun for hunting coyotes and simular sized animals.  Also the possibility of using it on 125-150 lb exotic rams in Texas.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#1]
As a general rule for deer size game the very minimum is a 1000 ft/lbs of energy, most 9mm loads barely acheive this, and do not have that much energy past 50yds., the caveat is that my info came from pistol length barrels.  While I'm sure you can kill a deer size animal with it, your margin of error will be miniscule.
It might do alright on coyotes and javalinas though?  Try some +Ps on'em, and let me know if they work or not.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I know 124 grn HP do a job on coyotes at 100yrds
I have done about 12 coyotes with the 9mm and none of them have ever got
away.
I have seen 200 lb animals taken down with 22lr at 50yrds with a complete pass through with the bullet and thats alot less power then a 9mm.
Shot placement, penetration, bullet selection, are most important for a sure kill.
More power helps for a faster kill.
I dont think i would hunt anything bigger than varmints with the 9mm unless
I was starving and didnt have a bigger gun for the job.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I do not plan on using it on deer, I prefere the 6.8 or my .270 for that. Occassionally the .223.

I want to try it on coyotes and rams in Texas.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Win or Rem 147gr JHPs should provide the best penetration.
Also, check out Cor-Bon ammo here.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:30:54 AM EDT
[#5]
As for 9mm, I wouldnt use it for either of the game you mentioned as the chance of wouding vs. a kill shot are too great for the rounds abilities. Even @ 50yds. I personaly wouldnt chance it. As mentioned above, there are several good rounds available for stopping power, but the 9mm just lacks the balls to consistantly put down any large size game ( IMO ). I know somehwere out there is the person with the ability to hunt bear with a .22LR, but were talking the exception, not the rule. I love my RRA's 9mm upper and associated parts, but for something in the coyote range, I'd swap it for the generic .223 upper and call it a day.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I prefer teh 147s for hunting.  Seems to break bones and retain energy on impact better than you might expect.

Hogs, coyotes, deer, javelinas have all fallen to the 9mm in 147gr pill form.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
As for 9mm, I wouldnt use it for either of the game you mentioned as the chance of wouding vs. a kill shot are too great for the rounds abilities. Even @ 50yds. I personaly wouldnt chance it..

meh, i never use my 9mm AR for hunting but i'm sure a 147gr JHP would have no problem dropping a 50lb coyote at 100yds
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top