Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/2/2007 3:45:29 PM EDT
There is a debate going on over on another forum about the anti walk pins. I read somewhere that 9mm builds have broken hammer pins in the past and stated that I plan on using the anti walk pins when I finish my build just for that reason. The second generation KNS anti walk pins are made from stainless and are supposed to be stronger over the stock pins. Has anyone here ever broken a hammer pin on one of their pistol caliber builds?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I've broke 2 hammer pins. unramped Colt style 9mm bolts, DPMS hammers. First hammer pin was a DPMS, the second was a BM.  Both broke at the center groove for the J spring. I switched to the new style KNS pins and have'nt broke them yet.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#2]
i broke mine within the first 400rds, i got some KNS pins and got my bolt ramped, runs 100% now, you def. need to get the bolt ramped, otherwise it's gonna slam the crap out of the hammer (how mine broke)

edit i should also add i'm using a DPMS hammer and my first broke pin was also a DPMS, not their fault, it was from the un ramped bolt
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I broke a hammer after about 800 rds of 9mm.  The hammer pin broke in the middle.  I am running an unramped bolt and an M16 hammer with the tail bobbed.  I installed a set of KNS 2nd generation anti-rotation pins and have gone through about 1000 more rds without a problem.

G
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have to maintain about a metric assload of Colt SMG's deployed all over the world.

The issues that I have with them are:

Broken Hammer Pins
Dimpled Dissconnectors, and weak dissconnector springs
loose roll pins in the rear of the bolt
barrels comming unscrewed

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have to maintain about a metric assload of Colt SMG's deployed all over the world.

Broken Hammer Pins

No kidding. The barrels come unscrewed because there is no gas tube keeping the barrel nut from backing out?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:05:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Broken Hammer Pins

No kidding. The barrels come unscrewed because there is no gas tube keeping the barrel nut from backing out?

Yep, I have in the past put a piece of round stock to keep everything from comming undone.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:30:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Broke the hammerpin in my RRA 9mm last outing to the range.  I've put about  4k rounds through it since I built it.  DPMS hammer, unramped bolt.  

I had spare pins, but they were at home (D'Oh!).  I got some JP pins at the range, put them in my 5.56, and put one of the pins from it in the 9mm to get it up and running again.

I'm planning on having my bolt ramped, getting KNS pins for my 5.56, and putting the JP pins in the 9mm as soon as I have money.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:33:19 AM EDT
[#8]
It would seem that using an un-ramped carrier in a 9mm AR = a broken hammer pin sooner or later.  The ramp on the carrier slows down the cocking stroke of the hammer to a more reasonable speed, progressively depressing the hammer as the carrier moves rearward.  Without the ramp, the hammer gets slammed back as soon as the carrier begins to move rearward, leading to the broken hammer pins.

Another aspect of this situation besides the obvious broken hammer pins is the extreme hammering that your lower receiver's hammer pin holes receive from using an unramped carrier.  If the pin is getting whacked hard enough to break it, you've gotta figure that the holes are taking an extraordinary beating as well!  Yet another would be the receiver damage resulting from the broken hammer pin "wallowing and gouging around" in the receiver, after it gets that fatal hit which breaks it.  

If you look at any 5.56mm AR-15/M-16 bolt carrier, shrouded or unshrouded, you will notice it is ramped, and this is so for good reason.  It seems like the person who designed the unramped 9mm carrier was asleep at the wheel, or didn't have a very good grasp of physics.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:23:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Another aspect of this situation besides the obvious broken hammer pins is the extreme hammering that your lower receiver's hammer pin holes receive from using an unramped carrier.  If the pin is getting whacked hard enough to break it, you've gotta figure that the holes are taking an extraordinary beating as well!  Yet another would be the receiver damage resulting from the broken hammer pin "wallowing and gouging around" in the receiver, after it gets that fatal hit which breaks it.

+1

Broken hammer pin = pita

Egged out hole in lower = major pita
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:53:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I broke one in my dedicated .22... Broke in half, but both pieces stayed in. Took me two range sessions to figure why it wasn't runnin well.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top