Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2007 1:22:24 PM EDT
On Olys website it says they are now using modified Sten mags for their .45 ACP uppers.

Anyone know the specs on tweaking Sten mags to feed .45 reliably?

I recently bought a complete Olyarms .45 carbine from CMMG. I sold the lower this past weekend. I kept the upper and the 1 .45 Uzi mag it came with.

If I can use Sten mags to feed the .45 then things will be a lot less complicated for me to have multiple mags for it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 1:52:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont know how they are altering the Sten magazine, but I would supect they are tweeking the feed lips.  The other issue, is that .45acp is too long for the magazine (just enough to jam up), and so I wonder if they are doing something to the spine of the mag to allow the cartridge to fit properly.  I wonder then if they are welding a block to the mag to take up the rest of the space in the mag well.  I wonder if this system could actually use a mag block?
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I held the Oly Arms .45 Uzi mag up and compared it to a Sten and the Sten is deeper from front to back, its follower is longer than the Uzi follower.. the only problem I could see was the narrower space between the feedlips of the Sten mag.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I held the Oly Arms .45 Uzi mag up and compared it to a Sten and the Sten is deeper from front to back, its follower is longer than the Uzi follower.. the only problem I could see was the narrower space between the feedlips of the Sten mag.

There is a, for a lack of a better term, spine in the Sten mag, that causes the interior measurement to be too short for .45acp.  If it were not for that, than the sten mag could hold .45acp.  We're not talking much but it is just too short to the point that after about three rounds, it all binds up and ya have to take the magazine apart to get the .45acp out.  I have done it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a, for a lack of a better term, spine in the Sten mag, that causes the interior measurement to be too short for .45acp.  If it were not for that, than the sten mag could hold .45acp.  We're not talking much but it is just too short to the point that after about three rounds, it all binds up and ya have to take the magazine apart to get the .45acp out.  I have done it.

damn...
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I know people that reliably cycle .45 hollow point in sten mags.  It is correct that a standard ball round will not work due to the spline.  I have seen a mag well insert for the AR so it will hold sten mags, similar to a 9mm block.......cept differnt
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I know people that reliably cycle .45 hollow point in sten mags.  It is correct that a standard ball round will not work due to the spline.  I have seen a mag well insert for the AR so it will hold sten mags, similar to a 9mm block.......cept differnt

Hahn magwell blocks....1 for Sten and one for  Grease gun mags.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Knowing Oly, they're grinding a flat spot on the end of the FMJ ammo to get it to fit.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 10:23:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Anyone know the specs on tweaking Sten mags to feed .45 reliably?

short version

cut out back of mag (spine), Tig in new (flat) back, open feed lips to GG mag size.
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 3:57:52 AM EDT
[#9]
FMR

Im trying to find a way to use this .45 upper on one of my already registered SBR lowers. Im not wanting to register another lower and it have to be that ugly ass Cav Arms or that high $$ AR45 lower, the only ones I know of that use grease gun mags...I know I left out Bazooka Bros 45 lower.

My upper has the 11.5/5.5 barrel, Ive already talked to YHM about cutting it down to 10" and rethreading it for their .45 Cobra suppressor.
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#10]
If it's the same page I found that you're referring to, it lists it as a "10 round modified Sten."  If all they're offering is a 10 rounder, I'm not interested.  But if they offer one that's got higher capactiy, it's something I might look into.  Anyone know how many rounds of .45 will fit in a Sten mag?

ETA: I just looked at it again and there's no mention of needing a magazine block.  Are they welding a block to the mag like they did with the Uzi mags or did they just forget to mention it?  I'd think that they'd let you know if you need to spend additional $$$ on a magwell adapter.
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#11]
imho oly should license the design (or however it would be handled) of the ar45 lower that cncguns and tangochaser came up with - imho it is the best setup for a 45 ar bar none.
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 5:25:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Knowing Oly, they're grinding a flat spot on the end of the FMJ ammo to get it to fit.

maybe all you can use is FN or HP in them?  there seems to be a difference of over .050" oal between traditional ball fmj and the fn fmj and hps.  wonder if this .050" is enough room in the mag?
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 3:54:02 AM EDT
[#13]
.45 HPs work in a Sten mag. I have a video on youtube of me shooting this set up. Search for ".45 in a Sten".

I attempted to get Oly to license the AR45 last year. I was at their office in person, showed them the AR45 lower and they blew me off. That combined with the supply problem I faced a few months ago, is the main reason I am working on a design to eliminate the need for any Oly parts.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 9:31:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
FMR

Im trying to find a way to use this .45 upper on one of my already registered SBR lowers.

A very respected member of this board has three Oly converted 10 round Uzi mags for sale on the EE right now.  It would be enough to get you buy and still be able to use your existing lower.

I know the seller and I can't say enough good about him

Oly modified .45acp mags for sale
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 8:18:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I attempted to get Oly to license the AR45 last year. I was at their office in person, showed them the AR45 lower and they blew me off. That combined with the supply problem I faced a few months ago, is the main reason I am working on a design to eliminate the need for any Oly parts.

wow, i can't understand some companies - why wouldn't they want a setup that works so well???  
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Here is a video of .45 HPs in a Sten mag. And no you don't see FA fire, it's a couple of bump firings. That particular lower bump fires easily.

And yes I yelled at my wife for flinching when she got hit in the head with the brass.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8es1gCrjkUQ
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I really want a 45 caliber AR but all the various adhoc things I have seen, adapters and modification and 'tweaking' etc; is crazy.

I can always go the Cavarms/Hahn/Oly deal but I really dont like the cav lowers.

Maybe Ill just wait for that specific GreaseGun lower and use an oly upper.

Ive been studying real hard since I discoverd it has been done but all ive gotten so far is a headache
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 3:40:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Get an AR45 lower from Justin at CNCGuns.com and you won't need any adapters, tweaking, or modifying of mags. He has them in stock right now. Still have to get it finished by Khalan Weaponry but once the lower is complete and in your hands, there is nothing else you will need to shoot .45. Except obviously, the rest of the gun.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I really want a 45 caliber AR but all the various adhoc things I have seen, adapters and modification and 'tweaking' etc; is crazy.

I can always go the Cavarms/Hahn/Oly deal but I really dont like the cav lowers.

Maybe Ill just wait for that specific GreaseGun lower and use an oly upper.

Ive been studying real hard since I discoverd it has been done but all ive gotten so far is a headache

the lowers that justin @ www.cncguns.com makes and khalan finishes are beautiful :)  their quality is equal to any of the best out there - easily.  and i am not just comparing to other ar style lowers - any gun - their quality is excellent.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top