Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/7/2007 10:42:12 AM EDT
Thinking of getting a flat-top upper for my Colt 9mm.  Any pics of the CMMG 14.5 w/perm flash hider out there?  Thanks.

5L
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Thinking of getting a flat-top upper for my Colt 9mm.  Any pics of the CMMG 14.5 w/perm flash hider out there?  Thanks.

5L

not yet getting a 14.5 with a vortex and a 12" dd lite rail built by them right now

-Mike
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I have that upper.  Just got the lower built and the whole thing put together this weekend.  I had family obligations so was unable to get it out to shoot it yet.

The upper is good looking and it really seems to make a diference in handling over a similar AR15 I have (in 223) with a 16" barrel plus A2 flash-hider.  I had the Slash 9Q buffer and a Vltor clubfoot stock, all furniture in Coyote brown (or is it Coyote Tan?).  It looks good and I a n anxious to shoot it thid being my first 9mm AR.

The guys here helped me figure out what is needed to build up a 9mm AR.  I still need to ramp the bolt (to extend the life of the lower ans make it fun smoother), but will get a few rounds down the tube before this happens.

I would like to go SBR and later add a silencer, but for now the "no stamps need" version will have to do.

With the lower compete I was unable to fully rotate the upper into the lower.  Inspection showed scraping on the rear lug of the upper as it tried to fit into the lower.  I looked it over carefully and it appeared to be interference fit only on the back corners of the upper lug.  I put some lube on the lug and attempted to mate the upper and lower again still too tight.  Looked it over again and only then got the file out. Took all of 30 seconds to put a very slight radius on the rear sides of the rear lug and it fits fine now.  Now I need to allodine the raw edges to prevent corrosion or just forget about it.  This coud have been due to a slight radius in the lower lug recess, but as I had no simple way to "clean up" this area I simply radiused the mating surface.  With both pins inserted the upper and lower fit snug all the way around now.

I am unable to post pictures at the present time...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Billsp1 - That sounds like the direction I'd like to go too.  I move a lot and I'm not sure a SBR is something I'd like to deal with right now.  I'd really love to see some pics of that 14.5 upper if you get the chance.  TM.

5L
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:18:49 PM EDT
[#4]
5th Legion:  IM mail imbound
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top