Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2007 1:31:24 AM EDT
Hello,

I am new and I have been using the Ciener .22lr kit with a m16a1 upper (semi only). I live the ironic Free State of Maryland and as of yet had not gotten a 30 round mag. Until I do, I converted the 1O round to 14 by cutting the follower slightly below the large diameter part that holds the spring. I cut three coils off the spring and I did not use the bottom spacer/mag floor plate holder. I used a nut, bolt and washer to lock the floor plate. I tested this mag with over 300 rounds and it did not malfunction. I have not tested it with rapid fire yet. I was wondering how long the spring would last in this condition. When the first time I rapid fired this kit, I instantly understood that I needed a larger capacity mag.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 8:22:58 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I converted the 1O round to 14 by cutting the follower slightly below the large diameter part that holds the spring.

Interesting.  I think that would have made the factory 10 round magazine illegal during the Federal Assault Weapon Ban.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#2]
So the ban law included magazines that could easily converted to more than 10 rounds? That is interesting to say the least. But I thought the follower and the spacer I cut at the bottom made it legal during the ban because you can't just put more than ten rounds in it without modifying them. Actually I was able to put 12 in it when I just took out the bottom spacer. Here in Maryland we cannot buy or order magazines over 20 rounds but it is legal to possess them. Strange law. New Jersey has the over 15 round law but can they possess them?  
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 9:04:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So the ban law included magazines that could easily converted to more than 10 rounds? That is interesting to say the least. But I thought the follower and the spacer I cut at the bottom made it legal during the ban because you can't just put more than ten rounds in it without modifying them. Actually I was able to put 12 in it when I just took out the bottom spacer. Here in Maryland we cannot buy or order magazines over 20 rounds but it is legal to possess them. Strange law. New Jersey has the over 15 round law but can they possess them?  

I suspect the reason it is legal to possess them is that they can't make ex-post-facto law.  That means if you legally owned something, they can't make it illegal to own it now - kind of like grandfathered.  They can make it illegal to import, manufacture or sell them.  From what I've seen on calguns, they also can't make it illegal to modify something you legally own even if it violates the intent of the law unless the specific action is spelled out in the legislation.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:02:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Very interesting, I had no idea the laws were written like that in Maryland.
What did you use to cut the follower with?
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top