Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/29/2006 7:33:02 PM EDT
I’ve posted before in relation to the Olympic K40 ive got coming for trial, reading some other posts from Rock River arms they have indicated that they will have a .40 cal version of their 9mm AR15 coming out in early 2007. Not having any experience with either of these manufactures (never had a product from either company in my hand) before, should I be waiting to have a look at RR's .40.?  Some previous posts indicate that RR's weapons are of a better quality?
Im not trying to start a war here im just after some constructive comments to help me with my agency trial.

Also id love to hear any up to date comments from law enforcement personnel , particularly tactical people or firearms trainers as to their experiences with both the Olympic k40  (.40cal) and or Rock Rivers 9mm
Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#1]
i like rra due to its compatibilty to colts 9mm system.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll hear a lot of anti-Oly stuff.  However, I can say from extensive experience that they make great pistol-caliber carbines, and I bet you won't hear many people with actual accounts of problems with them.  Their 5.56 ARs are not the best, but their pistol caliber carbines aren't quite the same sort of "budget" fare.

I am a firearms trainer for the National Guard and I train with 2 local PDs, so I do get to shoot quite a bit, and I take my two Oly 9mms (one for Sten mags and one for Glock mags) along with me quite a bit to shoot in between sessions.

I like the Sten mags because they are cheap and plentiful (about $3 to $5 each), and I like the Glock mags because they are compatible with my Glocks (obviously) and are readily available.

The ejector on the Oly looks like it would be weak, but I have 7000 rounds through one carbine and 3500 or so through the other and haven't had any problems.  

They are very accurate and shoot everything I put through them, from crappy aluminum-cased CCI Blazer to IMI +P+ subgun ammo.

The Colt system is great, and one of my fellow instructors has a Colt 9mm carbine which I have shot quite a bit, but I haven't seen a reason to justify the additional expense.  I am very happy with my Olympic pieces.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:44:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my Oly/Glock 9mm. I had the Oly setup that used the Sten mags and HATED loading the mags. I guess I never purchased the propper loading tool for them. I scored an Oly/Glock lower and have never looked back. In fact shot it today when I was testing subsonic loads with a can. Having a carbine and pistol that use the same mags and can is a very good thing for me.

Some people have stated that their extractors have broken on the upper. I have not had an issue, but was told that you can use the extractors from their .45 ACP upper as they are supposed to be a bit beefier. The extractors are cheap as well. I plan on picking one or two up as a spare IF I ever need them.

Oh yeah, my 9mm is DAM accurate at 50 yards with a red dot. At an indor range last week I was making a ragged hole at 50ft with it. The other cool thing about the Glock lower is that it has a last round bolt hold open which mattered to me. I can tell by the change in recoil when I'm empty.

Oh before I forget........... Oly does not put a heavy buffer in the 9mm or .40 cal ARs. They should!

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:57:20 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 for the OLY Glock 9mm.  I love mine and it shoots great.  No malfunctions at all.  Got an A3 flat top/Eotech with a 5.5 flash suppressor.  I only use factory glock mags and they are cheap and easy to find.  Very accurate rifle and no magazine/mag block issues.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an Oly .40 upper.  I tried a Socom and a KKF block with sten mags and several combinations of lower receivers (Stag, RRA, DPMS, Oly) and couldn't get it to run reliably.  I tried the .41AE Uzi mags ($50-75 +$25 for Oly to modify them), but they got botched up and weren't modified for .40 properly so they didn't work.  After a lot of trial and error, I have it running about 95% with an SNS block and sten mags.  

Oly used to sell a drop-in block to use with pistol mags (Glock, Beretta, and I think Sig), but they no longer make them and don't plan on making any more.  Now they have the Glock lower, but they won't sell the lower by itself, only complete rifles.  Unfortunately Oly sells you their product with a 10 round mag and leave it to you to come up with a solution to feed it.

I'd like to see RRA come out with their .40 and proprietary mags for it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have an Oly .40 upper.  I tried a Socom and a KKF block with sten mags and several combinations of lower receivers (Stag, RRA, DPMS, Oly) and couldn't get it to run reliably.  I tried the .41AE Uzi mags ($50-75 +$25 for Oly to modify them), but they got botched up and weren't modified for .40 properly so they didn't work.  After a lot of trial and error, I have it running about 95% with an SNS block and sten mags.  

Oly used to sell a drop-in block to use with pistol mags (Glock, Beretta, and I think Sig), but they no longer make them and don't plan on making any more.  Now they have the Glock lower, but they won't sell the lower by itself, only complete rifles.  Unfortunately Oly sells you their product with a 10 round mag and leave it to you to come up with a solution to feed it.

I'd like to see RRA come out with their .40 and proprietary mags for it.

It's not that complicated, if you want to use Glock mags buy a Glock-based Oly rifle, if you want to use Sten mags get a mag block.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It's not that complicated, if you want to use Glock mags buy a Glock-based Oly rifle, if you want to use Sten mags get a mag block.

It is complicated, if you want a .40.  The sten mag isn't very reliable for .40 but it worked great for my 9mm.  I already had my .40 and 9mm uppers before the Glock based rifle came out so buying a complete rifle is out of the question now since I've spent too much time and money getting it to run.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top