Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/22/2006 5:15:30 AM EDT
Okay, so I've been looking seriously into getting this conversion kit for my AR.  The closest range to my house is an indoor range which is fine for pistol but is only about 70 feet long making .223, in my opinion, a waste.  I'd like to save my .223 for the outdodor range where I can get some distance shooting in.  My primary purpose would be trigger time and just general fun at the range.  

I've been looking on the net and seeing a handful of bad reviews about this kit.  The people on this site seem to not have any problems with it.  Some of the issues on the net include the gas tube being gunked up with lead, making you have to clean the gas tube after each shoot.  They also talk about poor customer service and that anyone buying one of these kits will buy a dedicated upper within the next year.  Most of these reviews are from more than two years ago making me think improvements have been made.  I like the idea of using all my same set up and just replacing the bolt instead of having two guns set up the same, just different calibers.

Basically, I'm looking for reviews/opinions from the AR gurus here on the site.  You've never led me wrong in the past.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I liked the idea of swapping parts too and im looking at a AR in 9mm, 10mm, 45acp, 223 and 22LR.  But im getting a dedicated uppers in the CFs and a complete rilfe in the RF too.  Im going to get a complete 22 rifle for the same reasons you dont want one.   my 9mm AR that has about 2k thru is now is doing fine.  I just cleaned it last week and the gas tube wasnt plugged.  It was dirty tho.

The only issues w/Ciner is the CS if you have to deal with them.  Ive delt with him and had no issues other then he can be slow.   i just mail the $$ and order form and wait.  I also send the order "signature required"  or "delivery conformation"  so i know it was received.  If youre in a hurry like everyone else, then good luck.   Ciner maybe slow, but ive ALWAYS received my order.

If you dont want to deal w/Ciner, go tru Brownells.  They sell his stuff too.

Link Posted: 10/22/2006 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I have Kuehl's dedicated full auto upper for my M16.  It is an absolute blast.  I just ordered a 5 inch Commando style upper from him as well.  The 22 ammo is so cheap, and no recoil at all so my wife and sons can enjoy the M16.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I got my Ciener kit in mid last week.  Bought it just because .223 is too expensive to shoot all the time for this college student even with reloading.  

Its taking a little bit of work to get it to run correctly.  It seems like it wants to either get hung on the hammer on chambering the first round and not go completely into battery or it doesn't eject the spent cartidges completely.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 12:06:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok, here's the scoop on Ceiner.

First off, he's a beligerant ass, so don't deal with him, ever. How do you do that? Easy, buy the kit from Brownell's. It's the same price, and you can return it whenever for whatever reason to them. They don't sell the 30 round mags, but Kuell Precision does so buy from him. There, one problem solved.

Second, the "leading up the gas port" is a bunch of bullshit. Even if it were possible to plug it up, 1 shot of .223 will blow it clean. Whala. I happen to shoot plated bullets in my kit, CCI's mostly, so it's even more of a non-issue but YMMV. Don't worry about that.

Third, it can be a PITA to get to run right, but all that goes wrong with it is EASILY fixed. Here's the breakdown:

FTF's are usually mag related....or the kit is still rough. Lakeside Machine has a great FAQ about getting the Ceiner running right, with dimensions on the mag lips. Follow that, and you're halfway there. You can either shoot the thing till it's running smooth, or polish the metal surfaces until it's glassy. That will fix the FTF's.

FTE's are usually the headspace of the extractor. The extractor claw should JUST touch the rim of a round that's seated in the bolt face. You take the bolt apart, seat a bullet in the face, and see if there is a gap in between the claw and the extractor. If there is, you can either remove the extractor and bend it slightly, or tap the outside edge with a drift punch (doesn't take much force, btw), and get it into shape.

Lastly, like ALL auto-22's, it's ammo picky. Find an ammo it likes, and enjoy. Mine likes CCI Minimags and Remmy Golden Bullets. I stick to those.

Lastly, you can keep the unit running really clean by using dry lube (I use DuPont Teflon Dri-Lube, available at Lowes), and you can push a couple 9/16" by 3/4" Orings into the locking lug area before inserting the kit and this will help keep that area clean too. Should run like a champ.

It's a great kit, sometimes with a little tweaking, but the ammo $$ you save will be VERY worth it. Oh, and did I mention Ceiner is a jerk? Good, don't deal with him.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Swingset said it all!

I've got a Ciener kit with over 19,000 rounds through it.  I run it in a KKF dedicated .22 upper.  

I had no problems with breaking in.  Before using, while watching TV, I worked the action.  That smoothed everything up.  Three of my friends did the same thing with theirs, and they had no issues either.

As advised, buy the kit from Brownells and the mags from Rick Kuehl (kuehl precision firearms).

I'd recomend it!

Brad
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:56:19 AM EDT
[#6]
New Ciener Dealer

Want a Ciener .22 conversion without dealing with JAC.

Has the Ciener AR-15 & M-16 with 30rd Mag's in stock, Plus most other Ciener kits.

Contact Artic Seven. e-mail [email protected] or Call 1-317-535-0988.

He will confirm Price, Shipping and that your items are in stock.

Will ship next day after getting your check.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:15:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Will ship next day after getting your check.

Oh surprise, another Ceiner source that won't take credit cards. That must be in the agreement with JACkoff. "You can sell my stuff, but you better not take no damn credit cards!!"

hehe.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:36:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I liked the idea of swapping parts too and im looking at a AR in 9mm, 10mm, 45acp, 223 and 22LR.  But im getting a dedicated uppers in the CFs and a complete rilfe in the RF too.  Im going to get a complete 22 rifle for the same reasons you dont want one.   my 9mm AR that has about 2k thru is now is doing fine.  I just cleaned it last week and the gas tube wasnt plugged.  It was dirty tho.

The only issues w/Ciner is the CS if you have to deal with them.  Ive delt with him and had no issues other then he can be slow.   i just mail the $$ and order form and wait.  I also send the order "signature required"  or "delivery conformation"  so i know it was received.  If youre in a hurry like everyone else, then good luck.   Ciner maybe slow, but ive ALWAYS received my order.

If you dont want to deal w/Ciner, go tru Brownells.  They sell his stuff too.

I dont think your 9mm AR upper has a gas tube.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top