Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/6/2006 6:22:07 AM EDT
Hi guys,

I know Colt is the best, but if you were buying a 9mm Magwell, Buffer, Hammer, and magazine from 2 companies and both were giving you the same total shipped price, one with a promag the other one with a RRA UZI which magazine would you get.
Link Posted: 10/6/2006 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#1]
the promags hold the bolt open
the uzi's are metal not plastic

colt is the best of both worlds
Link Posted: 10/6/2006 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#2]
The RRA Uzi mags work.

The Promags don't.

Take your pick.
Link Posted: 10/6/2006 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Try both, see what works better. I'd get the one with the UZI mag if they are the same price because the ProMags are cheaper. I haven't fired mine yet but the ProMags look good. CProducts and RRA are coming out with metal mags that hold the bolt open and they will probably be the best option, when they become available. For now, try a couple type and see what works for you. Some people have had problems with each of them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2006 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#4]
i bought 5 pro mags and they have been perfect I shoot the hell out of them. I like the uzi mags too but im waiting on the new rra mag.
Link Posted: 10/7/2006 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a couple of Promags and have never had a single malfunction with them and they hold the bolt open every time (when the mag is empty).  I have some of the uzi mags and don't really care for them because of the sloppy fit in the magblock.  Don't know if that is a common problem for them to be sort of loose but mine are.  I have bought about 4 of the older Colt mags and they are awesome, pain in the butt to load but they are nice.  By the way, does anyone know of a magloader that will work with the colt mags?  That would be nice addition to the collection.  Thanks.  GS
Link Posted: 10/7/2006 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:  By the way, does anyone know of a magloader that will work with the colt mags?  That would be nice addition to the collection.  Thanks.  GS

I think there is a Lula for them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2006 2:03:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:  By the way, does anyone know of a magloader that will work with the colt mags?  That would be nice addition to the collection.  Thanks.  GS

There is a LULA for them, one for the Colt type and one for UZI mags. Also Safariland makes (or did make) a Superthumb type loader for SMG mags.
Link Posted: 10/8/2006 3:20:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Buy a couple of promags to hold you over, CProducts are coming out with some later in the year.........metal, cheaper than Colt, and just as dependable....
Link Posted: 10/9/2006 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#9]
A buddy and I were shooting our 9mm ARs at an indoor range recently.  I had two converted 20 round Uzi magazines and one 25 rnd RRA, while he had 9 ProMag 32 rounders.

My 9mm is a complete RRA factory assembled rifle, his was a RRA upper, either Stag or DPMS lower, and a Hahn mag block.

The Uzis worked 100% in my RRA.
The ProMags jammed every 3 or 4 rounds in my buddy's rifle.
I handed him one of my Uzi mags and it functioned 100%.
He handed me two of the ProMags that wouldn't function for him, and they ran 100% in my RRA 9mm, including BHO.

At the end of the day, I traded him my 3 mags for his 9 ProMags. (roughly the same value anyway).  All nine of them function 100%, and 7 of the 9 will activate the BHO.  They were already used when my buddy bought them, so I figure the springs are worn in two of them.  I will most likely still purchase three - six of the CProducts mags when they come out, but I'm GTG with these for now.

Moral of the story?  Try a Promag in your rifle.  If it works, get a couple more.  If it doesn't work, you're only out $15, could probably recoup most of your $$ on the EE, and you can wait for CProducts too.
Link Posted: 10/9/2006 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a LULA for them, one for the Colt type and one for UZI mags. Also Safariland makes (or did make) a Superthumb type loader for SMG mags.

thanks guys, I'll start locating one.  GS
Link Posted: 10/10/2006 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#11]
my promags work great.  However, they are flimsy and doubt they would take any abuse...

Natchez often has them cheap on sale, like $10.  For that price, they are worth buying.

Link Posted: 10/11/2006 2:59:32 AM EDT
[#12]

CProducts are coming out with some later in the year.........metal, cheaper than Colt, and just as dependable....[/quote]

How can you say that the C Products mag will be just as dependable it didn't come out yet?
Link Posted: 10/11/2006 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
How can you say that the C Products mag will be just as dependable it didn't come out yet?

C Products is one of the finest manufacturers this board has ever had.  Larry would not let a new product leave his factory until it has been throughly tested.  If have a problem with a CP magazine (Yes, it happens sometimes.), he will replace it or refund your money, period.   Hell, I accidentally bent one of his SS floor plates once because it was a new product at the time and we didn't have a procedure for how to properly remove it.  Larry sent me a new one to replace it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 2:08:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

C Products is one of the finest manufacturers this board has ever had.  Larry would not let a new product leave his factory until it has been throughly tested.  If have a problem with a CP magazine (Yes, it happens sometimes.), he will replace it or refund your money, period.   Hell, I accidentally bent one of his SS floor plates once because it was a new product at the time and we didn't have a procedure for how to properly remove it.  Larry sent me a new one to replace it.

Yeah, what he said..............!
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 4:24:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 8:14:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I have 10 Promags and they work perfect. They do seem flimsy, but they preform. They were about $11 each. I am slowly buying some Colt mags...I have only 1 so far.

I really don't know why I plan to buy other mags, because the Promags are actually kicking ass.

I have had the Uzi mags and I am now spoiled and I don't want any mags that don't make the BHO work....no more Uzi mags for me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Finally got my 9MM SBR to the range after 6 months of building and my only promag magazine as well as the gun ran flawless for 300 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#18]
You can modify the Uzi mags to hold the bolt open but it takes some tinkering to get it right.  I found a page about how to do it a while back, but I can't find what I did with it- I want to say the guy welded a small tab on the back of the follower or something.  Check the EE for Colt mags- I bought 4 new ones for $200/shipped about a year ago.

I've got a handful of the Uzi mags that came with my upper (bought used off the EE) and all of them run fine too, just no bolt hold open- I use a Hahn bottom loading adaptor.      
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top