Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/20/2006 7:25:20 PM EDT
In  my previous post on looking for a Scocom mag block it was sugested to use Hahns mag block from Brownels?  My question is will this work for a 40 cal and what mags would work Sten??  I believe OLY uses Uzi mags for their 40cal . will these work for this mag block?? Can you use 40cal in sten mags??  I had a Ruger which used the sam mag for 9mm and 40 cal?  So I am just wondering anyone tried this sten to 40cal??
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The 40 cal will run out of the stens with the Socom mag block. May need a little lip mod to get it to feed right but its been done. The hahn block works with Colt/ modified uzi mags. Dont know about the 40s in a Colt mag. Im sure someone out there does. Ron
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#2]
never done it personally, but i have read the 40cal works in stens after bending the feedlips and followers
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
In  my previous post on looking for a Scocom mag block it was sugested to use Hahns mag block from Brownels?  My question is will this work for a 40 cal and what mags would work Sten??  I believe OLY uses Uzi mags for their 40cal . will these work for this mag block?? Can you use 40cal in sten mags??  I had a Ruger which used the sam mag for 9mm and 40 cal?  So I am just wondering anyone tried this sten to 40cal??
Thanks

Yes, I use a Sten mag to run my .40.  You have to tweak the magazines to get them to run smoothly.  I run an SNS block and it doesn't need as much modification because it uses a feed ramp, unlike the Hahn, Socom, KKF block.  

You should start by testing them as-is, sometimes they run just fine without modifying them.  I trimmed off about 5-6 coils off of the springs and it makes it so much easier to load and it seems to feed better.  Open up the feed lips with some pliers, but just a little so that the round sits higher, but doesn't pop out.  With the springs cut, I can load 18-20 rounds in them, but they feed a lot better at 16 rounds.  I use mostly JHP, so it was a bit of a trial and error to get them to feed reliably.  Buy a Sten Mag loader, it will make your life easier.

You can grind down on the front of the magazine if the rounds are getting hung up.  Picture below:

The follower can be modifed to better load/feed, but I've found that it really doesn't help too much.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#4]
A picture of my Forty:

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:32:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Where can I get more information about a .40 conversion?  Bolts, barrels, the SNS block mentioned?  This looks even cooler than a 9mm (for which I have a serious Jones right now).
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Where can I get more information about a .40 conversion?  Bolts, barrels, the SNS block mentioned?  This looks even cooler than a 9mm (for which I have a serious Jones right now).

Here is the link to SNS Ind, the block is at the bottom of the page:
www.snsindustries.com/page4.html

The complete upper is made by Oly.  Right now they're the only ones making a .40, but RRA  is supposed to be working on one. Link to ARCHIVED thread.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top